Gibson Brands Forums

Smitten’. J35

The G

Ok I really didn’t expect this . Here’s a guy who has owned and sold 2 J45’s .one a TV . A Woody Guthrie Sj and an Advanced Jumbo. So a Gibson slope shoulder void for a few years brought me to a J35 I found used in a music store I frequent . Walked in with absolutely no intention of buying a guitar ,but there it was.... 
Played it for 30-40 mins and walked home with it .This was 6 months ago and my god I can’t believe how I’ve bonded with this instrument. What a great guitar this is . The percussive thump the slope Gibson’s are noted for with the loud resonant dry projection a mahogany Dreadnought is cherished for . 
Call me happy, smitten and totally in love with my J35 .

Congrats!  The thing that has mystified me about Bozeman-made Gibsons is there are certain variations on a given model which I prefer over others.  Thing is  while the bling may vary there are no significant structural  differences between the guitars that I can discern.  So if you asked me what my favorite SJs have been  I would quickly come back with he Guthrie/Kristofferson guitars.  When it comes to the J35, to my ears they sound brighter almost like they have a touch of Taylor DNA in them.  My  brain tells me that is has to be a fig newton of my imagination..  But my ears just so not agree with my brain.  Maybe in the end though I am just on puppy chow.

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Congrats!  The thing that has mystified me about Bozeman-made Gibsons is there are certain variations on a given model which I prefer over others.  Thing is  while the bling may vary there are no significant structural  differences between the guitars that I can discern.  So if you asked me what my favorite SJs have been  I would quickly come back with he Guthrie/Kristofferson guitars.  When it comes to the J35, to my ears they sound brighter almost like they have a touch of Taylor DNA in them.  My  brain tells me that is has to be a fig newton of my imagination..  But my ears just so not agree with my brain.  Maybe in the end though I am just on puppy chow.

ZW - I love just whatever it is goes on that brain of yours!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 2014 J35, and liked it as much you like yours. I wanted/needed a bit more string spacing, and found a J35 Fuller's. I absolutely love it. So much so, that I think about it when I am away from home. The 2014 now lives in Quebec with an equally new happy owner.