Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Non Gibson but Gibson sounding, so is that cool?

generaldreedle

A couple of months ago I wandered into a guitar store in Seattle that had this 1992 Guild JF 30 Maple.   I had been wanting a Maple and the Gibsons were pricey.  Besides being dusty it was in great shape and is just a fantastic guitar, it's easy to play and sounds wonderful.  I put John Pearse bluegrass on them.

20190524_173234_zpseiqwkxz7.jpg

20190524_173229_zpsuq6qocsm.jpg

20190524_173249_zpsocms8oem.jpg

Nice grab.   Guilds are the underrated redheaded stepchild to Gibsons and Martins.  Priced right, too, by comparison.  I hear the Guild tone as slightly closer to the Martin side of the family.   Love mine, fer sure.

Edited by jedzep

Nice guitar, I had an eighties cherry d-25 Guild and I called it "the tank"  it was built like a tank and I used it for outdoor things like 

camping and the sort, it was a fine player did the job when called a pond. Enjoy your new addition its looks really nice!

I never thought of Guilds as being underrated.  In the 1960s they occupied that sweet spot in price between a Harmony Sovereign and a Martin D-18 or Gibson J-45.  And their 12 strings sets a standard by which all were measured for decades.  I owned I think three in the 1960s and 1970s my favorite being a transitional D-25 with the spruce top and arched back.

Have to agree with an earlier post that I never associated any Guild with a Gibson voice.  No matter.  They did not need to.  they were great guitars in their own right/

Yup, looks just like my '94 JF-30!

Guilds are great guitars.  They do not take a back seat to Martins or Gibsons, and certainly in the '70s, they were superior to a lot of the stuff put out by the other guys.  I currently have five Westerly acoustics (including three from the '70s), and a '97 Westerly Starfire III electric.

Typically, I find the various maple Guild models to be rather similar to maple Gibsons - and usually just as satisfying. 

• Like 1

I love Guilds. I've owned a few and really enjoyed them. A Rosewood F30 I owned had the most overtones of any guitar I've ever heard, absolutely ghostly and gorgeous. I'll definitely own another Guild one day.