Gibson Brands Forums

Help me ID my SG?

Me.

Anyone feel like helping me ID my beloved yet neglected SG? I purchased this guitar back in 1996, while I was in a band trying to convince myself I was a rocker, for the extraordinary price of $200. Since I came to my senses and realized I’m an acoustic guitarist, she’s slept quietly on my wall. I’d always thought it was a ‘69 Standard, but recently looking through some examples I realize I may not know exactly what she is (the saucy *****). 

Anyone feel like sharing their expertise, and helping me ID her? Thanks for any efforts...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don't know what model that is. But I can tell it has had extensive modifications.

You must have bought it used huh? You can see screw holes where the original bridge, control knobs and pickups were. The tuners as well.

So what you have is quite different from what it originally was.  That's about all I can tell you. [smile]

That is a tough one because so many things have been changed - tuners, pickups, controls, bridge etc.  Serial numbers from Gibson can be confusing as they changed how they assigned them over the years.

Your guitar has a volute at the back of the headstock and they didn't start doing that until 1969 so that is the oldest it could be.  One serial number checking website I looked  at said it would be made in either Nashville or Kalamazoo in 1970, 71, or 72.   Since the serial number looks ink stamped (not impressed into the wood) I tend to think 1972.

But as to what model exactly there is no telling anymore.  Probably a basic model as it just has dot inlays on the fingerboard, and no fancy logo on the headstock.

Edited by Twang Gang

10 hours ago, Me. said:

Anyone feel like helping me ID my beloved yet neglected SG? I purchased this guitar back in 1996, while I was in a band trying to convince myself I was a rocker, for the extraordinary price of $200. Since I came to my senses and realized I’m an acoustic guitarist, she’s slept quietly on my wall. I’d always thought it was a ‘69 Standard, but recently looking through some examples I realize I may not know exactly what she is (the saucy *****). 

Anyone feel like sharing their expertise, and helping me ID her?imageproxy.php?img=&key=5a348836325c2c32imageproxy.php?img=&key=5a348836325c2c32 Thanks for any efforts...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Me.;

Looks like a modded SG-100 from the early 70's.  Some one added a bridge pup and removed the tone for a switch.

There was an SG-200 that had two of the single coils and sliders for each instead of a toggle.

This look familiar

http://www.guitartraders.com/5468

Hope that helps

Johnny

• Upvote 1