Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar straps - how long do they last?

uncle fester

I only worry about this when Im playing guitar. Last week I almost dropped my ovation because the strap slipped off the button. Good thing I didn't like the ovation or that could've given me a heart attack. I guess why theres plastic washers to go on strap button ends and strap locks. I really need to get some of those

• Upvote 1

The strap I use on my J-35 is one I've had since my junior year of college. That was roughly 1975.

As I recall, I did have the leather ends replaced somewhere along the line. Took the strap to a cobbler and, using the old ends as templates, he cut new ones and sewed them on.

if the holes for the strap buttons get too big from wear, Fender makes flexible hard-rubber washers that fit over the strap and button and keeps the strap from coming off.

Edited by dhanners623
  • Upvote 1

I'm literally always sitting-down when I play, so it's not an issue for me.  However, if I were standing, I've be very concerned with the strap  slipping-off the guitars.  As mentioned, Fender has some washers that seem to work fine and there are some other enhancements that make the strap pretty secure.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ThemisSal said:

This is a great selling point for Sully Straps.

I have several,  He cut the hole in the pickup end of my straps so that the fit is appropriate. If you happen to play with a guitar with no pickup installed, he will cut that hole(s) differently.

https://imgur.com/NWE66rF

Theres a thing called “The Strapkeeper” that is supposed to be a strap lock for acoustics with 1/2” jack inputs. Seems cool, I think I may buy one today. Daddario makes a thing called “acoustic cinch fit” that basically does the same thing.

4 hours ago, ThemisSal said:

I have both of those things and they are both great...

Cool, may I ask which one you like better? It looks to me that the Strapkeeper would be more secure than the cinch. When I get my new J45 back I have a Gibson Austin strap to put on it, but I don’t want to enlarge the strap end on it to fit the L.R. Baggs jack.

The Strap Keeper is less substantial.... you actually say when you open it up “is that all this is?”. A little leather....

and yet... I like it better.  It works great.

Meanwhile the Cinch is attached to a ten dollar strap I keep in my gig bag. I have been using it with my D15 at gigs lately... and it also works really well. There is plastic, but it  won’t scratch. 

• Upvote 1