Gibson Brands Forums

CALLUSES

Jim Wilson

Even when playing regularly, the calluses on the fingers of my left hand start to peel off.  It helps if I take an emery board and sand them down a bit.  Does this happen to anyone else?  What do you do, if anything,  to preserve and protect the calluses?

Edited by Jim Wilson

I'm fortunate that my callus issues didn't involve separation around the edges.  I'd avoid using creams that may soften the tips of your calluses.  The best healer I've found for bonding a 'scab' edge is the 'juice' from an aloe plant, so you might start at a garden shop.  I would also try breaking open vitamin E capsules and dressing the edges.

yea I get it, somewhat in the winter when it's really dry in the Northeast.  but  not so much in the summer. 

I just try to use some of the "better" moisturizing creams.  What's really the worse is the split finger tips too..  Yow!!  O'Keefe's working hands is great for that..

Like a few others in here, I've got 50+ years of callouses.  I used to file them a little bit, but that was decades ago,..,..,,lol.,,.....Nowadays, I don't pay much attention to them unless one of them is starting to catch on a string every-once-in-a-while.  Then, I just kind of gnaw at it and get the rough part off.  Quick, simple.....and it works....and you go right on to the next song....[omg]..