Gibson Brands Forums

Best Value for $$ Les Paul?

Twang Gang

Seems every day there are more guitar models showing up on the Gibson website.  I found one that seems like a great value to me (although I am not looking for a third Les Paul by any means).  What caught my eye was the translucent cherry Les Paul Classic.  Seems to have a lot of desirable features and the MSRP is only $1,999.  Usual mahogany body w/9 hole weight relief, maple top, slim taper mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard.  Has Burstbucker pickups, four push/pull knobs, ABR-1 bridge, Grover tuners and comes with a hardshell case and in 4 different finishes plus a goldtop version.  What's not to like for under $2K?

front-banner-1600_900.png   

Edited by Twang Gang
  • Like 2

Burstbuckers... Seems like you either love 'em of hate 'em. In my case, without going to a boutique pickup, I think they are perfect for LPs, especially those offered from Gibson. They're bright, have a certain bite or grit that I like, and they seem to be more focused toward the mid-high end than, say, 57 classics, which are muddier to my ears.

If I needed a 2nd LP (which I dont) I couldn't cope with those burstbuckers. I once played a Standard on every setting on both Orange & Marshall amps and couldn't find a usable tone. It transpired they were BBs. 

So far  as value is concerned, why not a Studio or a Tribute?

Just a clarification, these are not the Burstbuckers 1 & 2, like on the Standard 50s, but the Burstbuckers 61R & 61T, which is the same found on the Standard 60s. Year in, year out, the LP Classic are killer guitars. This year the Classics are essentially a Standard 60s with plain top and uncovered pickups. There are some other minor differences, but nothing that would take away from how awesome the LP Classics are. Another killer guitar that sometimes gets overlooked is the Studio possibly due to its more subdued look. I had one that I liked better than some of the Standards I played of similar "vintage." Maybe another reason the Studios get overlooked is due to the naming confusion of 2016. I've seen used Studio Faded and Faded being sold as Studios even by big popular stores. The Faded were great guitars, but I think the Studios felt more refined, at least post-2015. 

For bang for the buck, I'm liking:

I do like the look of the classic, but wary of the burstbuckers just because of all the comments, no experience.

--------

When people are looking for last model years, where are you usually looking?  Local shops, GC?  

On 7/9/2019 at 3:44 AM, LarryUK said:

For a bargain. Wait until the model year is ending. Then they sell that years stock off to make way for the new models. I got my new Player Plus for £999.

It seems Gibson is going for more model-change stability so those end-of-the-year bargains won't be as numerous as they were when you made your purchase.  Great timing for you.  Well done!

• 1 year later...

Here you go again MicMac saying the best Les Paul is not a Les Paul, but an Epiphone made in Japan.  Sort of like your whole thread that the best Tele is not a Fender.  This guy might like his Epiphone, but it has a rosewood board as opposed to a true LP Custom that would have Ebony, and it has block markers as opposed to the true crown markers that a Custom comes with.  If he like the Epi, that's great, but it's not apples to apples.

Edited by Twang Gang
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Here you go again MicMac saying the best Les Paul is not a Les Paul, but an Epiphone made in Japan.  Sort of like your whole thread that the best Tele is not a Fender.  This guy might like his Epiphone, but it has a rosewood board as opposed to a true LP Custom that would have Ebony, and it has block markers as opposed to the true crown markers that a Custom comes with.  If he like the Epi, that's great, but it's not apples to apples.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend you, I was asking the Question "The best Les Paul"??  I thought it was funny because Darrell Braun usually doesn't have anything good to say about Gibsons in general. But to rave about an Epiphone which is a Gibson product, even though the Japan built models are held very high esteem,  just struck me odd.  This is just entertainment..

Edited by mihcmac

1 hour ago, efj2008 said:

I have a 2019 LP Classic, when I bought it, the high frets were uneven and had to be milled. But it was all covered under Gibson warranty and now the guitar plays like a champ!

When I bought my 2010 Les Paul Trad Pro (see pic), they made a big deal of the "PLEK" fretboard manufacturing process.  And the neck and fretboad on that guitar are rightfully immaculate.  Now, I never hear about PLEK.  So, the above post makes me wonder if they wandered away from PLEK?

uWpfACS.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Oh no worries, not offended in the least.  The problem with these forums is you can't see my tongue in my cheek when I type certain stuff 🙂 

Since I'm wearing my mask, you can't see my tongue and cheek, but one thing to take in mind it is that an "Epiphone Les Paul" is a fully authorized "Gibson Les Paul".

Personally I would prefer that Epiphone didn't build Gibson models an stuck to building the original Kalamazoo designs, like the Crestwood and Wilshire I just bought, but also I really love the new 339 I just got.

But I must say my 56 Les Paul standard Pro is absolutely Killer..   🙂

PmPpMj6.jpg

17 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Since I'm wearing my mask, you can't see my tongue and cheek, but one thing to take in mind it is that an "Epiphone Les Paul" is a fully authorized "Gibson Les Paul".

Personally I would prefer that Epiphone didn't build Gibson models an stuck to building the original Kalamazoo designs, like the Crestwood and Wilshire I just bought, but also I really love the new 339 I just got.

But I must say my 56 Les Paul standard Pro is absolutely Killer..   🙂

PmPpMj6.jpg

Okay, I have to ask;

Is that your living room, and are those six small amps chained to create a veritable Wall Of Foghat??

Nicely done, sir. 

😀

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Okay, I have to ask;

Is that your living room, and are those six small amps chained to create a veritable Wall Of Foghat??

Nicely done, sir. 

😀

Yes this is in my living room and those are six chained Roland Micro Cubes that sound surprisingly good together, specially when I have no power and I need to get close to jungle party volume level.

Also to the left of that  wooden buffet is a nook for some of my other guitars and tube amps..

OV3h0O7.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

When I bought my 2010 Les Paul Trad Pro (see pic), they made a big deal of the "PLEK" fretboard manufacturing process.  And the neck and fretboad on that guitar are rightfully immaculate.  Now, I never hear about PLEK.  So, the above post makes me wonder if they wandered away from PLEK?

uWpfACS.jpg

They must have PLEKed it up!

• Haha 1

I'm pretty sure all the guitars are still being pleked.  It wouldn't make sense to invest in all those plek machines, and then just stop using them.  Maybe really lower priced (are then any?) guitars don't get that treatment, but even other manufacturers have gone to that process.  

This video is a sequel to the previously posted video where the guy who made the initial video was subsequently gifted a new 50s Les Paul Standard directly from Gibson because of other videos he had done.  In this video, he goes back to Righteous Guitars to use their PLEK machine again, but this time to check the newly gifted Les Paul Standard.  As for background info, Gibson started PLEK'ing upper-tier Gibsons and all CS in 2010 until 2014 when Gibson started PLEKing all of their guitars. 

Pretty interesting stuff ...