Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheLeadFlatpick

Zager Guitars, a whole lotta nonsense?

The English used to spit (Gob as they called it) on acts playing when punk was big in the late 70's.

Well if I played on an open mic gig people would surely spit on me. I’m just a stay at home player  “trying” to make some semblance of music. It’s good for my old brain and hands.
“Mucus” was a auto spell check screw up that I missed and couldn’t figure out how to fix as a FNG. It was supposed to be “Music” of course. I was wondering when I’d hear about it.  Looks like I failed to follow Toby Keith’s advice and “Let the Old Man in”. 
Happy playing. 

On 7/13/2019 at 6:17 PM, jaxson50 said:

Samick  makes woodwind instruments,  pianos, (Wm. Kanabe) and owns 16% of Stienway, 

Some of the brand names they make are Hofner, Silertone, Washburn, Greg Bennett,  Epiphone,  Squire.

If you use pickups labeled Designed by Seymore Duncan you are using Samick products.  They are perhaps the largest manufacturer of music instruments in the world.

The thing with Squire products is some models are made by Cory, (Indonesia) some are made in China, top models are made by Samick and the very top quality are made in Japan  by FGN  

If you want to see some quality guitars, Google FGN Guitars.

Samick also make archery products. 

I quite like the Samick MIK models I've tried. I didnt know they made Duncan Designed pickups though. Had some on my MIK Squier Esprit. Sounded pretty good.

Agree completely about FGN quality. They are the 'own brand' of Fujigen. The Fujigen build guitar I use never gets put away in its case.

I heard recently that they also inspect the Gibson guitars exported to Japan.

• Thanks 1

Just replaced the strings on my Zager parlor. With the strings removed I was able to photograph the almost hidden sticker by the truss rod adjuster.  Says it all!

image.jpeg

I'm about ready to buy my second Zager directly from Lincoln, Nebraska.

I'm so satisfied that I'm selling my Martins (that I saved up for years to buy).  Other than keeping a classical guitar, I'll stick to the 2 Zagers (assuming I like the 2d one as much as the 1st). I've been playing 45 years  .  The first Zager I bought was a dreadnaught and I believe it is made in the USA, solid wood construction, and fits my left hand like the guitar was made for it.  My Martin already on the the market sounds fantastic and I'm sorry to see it go, but it's too hard to play, IN COMPARISON; I now always choose the Zager, which also sounds great, African Mahogany.

I was reluctant to buy a guitar I haven't played, but the no cost return policy seemed good.  It arrived in eastern Oregon in the dead of winter in perfect condition.  I got to adjust the truss rod a little, but even that is easy compared to the Martin (location of the rod head is easy).

I do not understand, and it's distressing, to see these seemingly inaccurate entries!

See if you can find a solid body guitar that sounds great, is sturdy, and lives up to its "easy play" representation.  I'd been looking for a couple of decades and had been relegated to nylon strings with the wider necks, except for a few strumming easy chord songs on my Martin now up for sale.  Not now!  I've got a new music mojo.

since this looks like a Gibson site I'll start off with that I own a pre 1970 J50 and jus got t a new Zager today, it plays much easier than the J50 and even though my J50 still sounds great, the Zager so far sounds really good also.

Played one several years ago.  It sounded and played nicely.  As others have mentioned, they're originally from Indonesia/Asia.  Nothing wrong with the guitars.  I imagine they're as nice and playable as most mid-to-upper range guitars.  When they arrive here they are Zagerized and just what that entails I don't know.  I've read that they altered in some way to be super-easy-to play (the one I played seemed pretty good) due to their great setup.  I don't know what all is done during the set-up, but I would guess that maybe he has to get some personal input from the buyer on just what he wants.  I don't know, just tossing thoughts around. ....... Anyway, the one I played was fine.  Better than what you'd find with your hanging-on-the wall Fender, Ibanez, etc.  The guy has been selling them for years, so he must be doing something right.  For me, I've got Gibson tunnel vision. and I'm not really interested in much else guitar-wise...........except maybe a  Martin Johnny Cash D35.

I just went to check out their website. 
Very nice, I must admit. 

https://zagerguitar.com/

To be honest though, there's no great attraction for me. 
I have a few acoustics in my stable, and I'm plenty happy with them. 
When we play live, I only use the acoustics sparingly. 

This is going to sound like heresy, but here goes;
I have owned and held Martins (later sold it), and I have held and played Gibson acoustics and Taylors.  Guilds as well. 
I just don't see spending thousands of dollars on one. 
Especially when I have picked up pawnshop Takamine's and Luna's that could meet my gigging needs just as well. 

If I got one, would I be going for a demonstrated quality, ease of play, and dramatically-superior sound?
Or would I be looking to own a really high dollar guitar with a top of the line name on the headstock?

In that regard, all those considerations in view now, would Zager fit into the former category? Because they certainly haven't earned the latter. 
Not yet anyway. 

Oh well. 
I look forward to the day, nonetheless, when I can meet a Zager guitar in person, and see the workmanship up close, and play one. 

😐

On 7/10/2019 at 4:34 AM, Murph said:

They'll be collectable in the year 2525...

Perfection.

On 7/10/2019 at 5:34 AM, Murph said:

They'll be collectable in the year 2525...

Was just reading the lyrics to the song last night.  Easy to remember most of the words, since it must have been played10,000,000 times on the radio back then.  interestingly, the lyrics are fairly prophetic as we look-back at life. .  It's kind of creepy, but we're already doing or headed in the direction of doing what the song is talking about, and much faster.  I was in my late teens, having the time of my life, with no inclination to wonder what kind  of world was being built..... Anyway, for a couple of guys who  were basically "one hit wonders," that song has made them  eteranllyl famous and will keep going for many, many years to come.  If you have to be a "one hit wonder," that's not a bad song to do it  with.

I bought my Zager Zad80ce  in 2007 for  $650 and 75 for the case. Solid Cedar top and solid hog back and sides. it sounded great right out of the box and has only mellowed since. it plays better than any Martin I have played although I have not played any top of the line Martins just there mid priced models. I have not had one problem with it for 13 years now (knock on wood).  I have not play any newer models of the Zagers, but I would feel confident buying one if i was in the market for a new guitar. I also own a J45 burst and a maple J185 which I love. i have other guitars but these 3 are my go to . 

On 4/5/2020 at 4:28 PM, NewOldGuy said:

Just replaced the strings on my Zager parlor. With the strings removed I was able to photograph the almost hidden sticker by the truss rod adjuster.  Says it all!

image.jpeg

After more reading in the Zager website, I found a comment made by  Denny Jr.  describing the benefit of his dads increasing the string spacing by 1/16th of an inch. I measured the spacing on my Zager parlor and the spacing increase is exactly that. So he’s taking a guitar with a 1-11/16 in. nut and increasing the spacing to that of a 1-3/4 in. nut. ( 12/16 minus 11/16. )
Even though I’m a novice player I can tell the difference and I do like it, although I’ve heard others comment that it makes the first and sixth strings roll off the fret board easier.  
I’m “guessing” that Zager guitars has a license agreement with Samick and Greg Bennett to use that line slightly modified with the different headstock and other changes described in previous posts. Probably gets them without a nut and shaves a 1-/3/4 in. nut to fit the standard 1-11/16 in. Samick neck lowering the action in the process and installing his lighter Zager strings. 
I’m loving my Greg Bennett ASDR CE (think Zager 900) since I had the action adjusted by a local luthier. It sounds and plays great. I paid $400 for it in mint condition. I’m sure the Zager version is equally amazing but I’m happy saving about $2000 for what appears to be a nearly identical product.