Gibson Brands Forums

Thumb pain

blindboygrunt

Anyone ever experience their thumb hurting , just below the knuckle on the inner side , where it would touch the fretboard when doing a thumb wrap ..

Happens to me from time to time , sure if I grip too tight I could understand hurting myself , but the pain when I touch it is a little too sore .. and it stays for a couple of days 

Perhaps I'm nipping a little vein or something ?

Thought there might be an app for it but I've looked to no avail

Edited by blindboygrunt

Does it get slightly dis-colored?  I get black and blue spots on the inside of my finger joints occasionally on a joint where  I grip something too hard and burst a tiny blood vessel.  In my case, I believe the only cure is 'don't do that'.  I put an ice cube on it to reduce the pain and swelling and keep it away from further damage.  Pain lasts a day.   On the other hand, I have occasional pain on my right thumb  joint I think due to a horse chomping on it 5 years ago.  Did you have an old injury?  Arthritis can set in I believe.  If it is just 'normal wear and tear', on the other hand -  I'd rest it for at least a couple of weeks (ie. NOT wrap it over the neck).  Take a couple of aspirin or something for a day or two to get past the pain. After that couple of weeks of rest,  do some daily  hand exercises, for stretching and strength.  And there is the dire possibility of a tiny splinter or thorn that got buried in there.  Metal, fiberglass... G'Luck.   

rest it grunt. 

I know this sounds weird and some may say its snake oil... but my wife used CBD oil on some similar pains with positive effect. But maybe it was the massging and rest as well.

I havent had it in a while; i did feel the same thing when i owned a STANDARD D18 in 2014... the one with the 1 3/4  slim neck.  I found that neck doesnt work for me.

25 minutes ago, ThemisSal said:

rest it grunt. 

I know this sounds weird and some may say its snake oil... but my wife used CBD oil on some similar pains with positive effect. But maybe it was the massging and rest as well.

CBD oil helped with the pain in my elbo...  the type of stuff with no 'high' type effects.

What you are describing is what I feel sometimes right in that first bend of the thumb. It seems to last a few days and back to normal. Maybe be a small nerve drinking through there that gets hit in the right spot 

cbd oil will help but it better if you get some with some thc in it 

23 minutes ago, kwalker201 said:

What you are describing is what I feel sometimes right in that first bend of the thumb. It seems to last a few days and back to normal. Maybe be a small nerve drinking through there that gets hit in the right spot 

cbd oil will help but it better if you get some with some thc in it 

What is thc ?

LOL!!!   ^-- That's it!

I have a similar and annoying painn in my index finger first knuckle.  It could be the makings of arthritus.  comes and goes.  when it comes, full F major Bar Chords are like  torture.

Edited by kidblast

I'd bet it's arthritis.  I get similar twinges every-now-and-then.  Then sometimes I get this pain starting at the base of my thumb and it extends out towards my wrist.    Doesn't go up my thumb.  Goes across toward the wrist.............Looks like Sal found the cure......lol........

• Like 1