Gibson Brands Forums

True Vintage vs Vintage

JuanCarlosVejar

Great playing, and a great recording. The Vintage has one of those things that are supposed to keep your strumming arm from muting the top. 'Might've influenced the sound a bit. And- I thought the True Vintage didn't come with electronics?

Enjoyable, though wouldn't make any conclusions about the sound by it. Thanks for posting.

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

Great playing, and a great recording. The Vintage has one of those things that are supposed to keep your strumming arm from muting the top......

It took me a couple minutes. I've never seen one of those before. Is that helping the low-end come out a bit more than the TV?

CJV - I liked the depth on the low end better with the Vintage.

They both sound real good, but I'm not real big on vintage guitars.   I don't hear anything in the Vintage that makes me say "Wow!" when compared to the TV.   To me, vintage guitars are  no more than old guitars, aside from the financial value that the collectors/sellers attach to them with the aid of our sentimental feelings for tradition.   Assuming the vintage costs at least as much as the new one,  I'd definitely choose the new one.  However, if the new one was around six grand and the vintage was no more than 1000 or so, I might get the vintage.  

A lot of guitar here and they look gorgeous. Good performance, yet I don't believe we hear the same amount of acoustic vibe'n'sound. 

I actually tend to think the 200 is one of the more anonymous classic Gs. Timber will probably fall, , ,
but these Super Jumbos aren't trumpeting me back to the flock. 

From these two the True Vintage, sounds more sparkly and open. The Vintage one sounded actually really tight and not particularly impressive. Weird as its meant to have the cooked top to make it looser, but it wasnt.

But really, if you want to talk true vintage, get a 50's or 60's J-200.

11 minutes ago, EuroAussie said:

The Vintage one sounded actually really tight and not particularly impressive. Weird as its meant to have the cooked top to make it looser, but it wasnt.

My impression was that a torrefied top would give it a 'dryer'type of sound, but you still need to play it in order to get the 'looser', worn in characteristic...  based on nothing, just how I understood it.   And apologies, I don't really have a good way describe the difference between the two.

3 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

They both sound real good, but I'm not real big on vintage guitars.  .  .   To me, vintage guitars are  no more than old guitars, aside from the financial value that the collectors/sellers attach to them with the aid of our sentimental feelings for tradition.  

Hey Larry- I think this comparison was the True Vintage and the "Vintage" models . . . caPitAliZation matters- the difference is thousands of _______ (enter preferred monetary unit). Even if it was lower case in the video title, it was in capitalized/embedded in the video's annotation. That would be Gibson's designation for models made with torrefied wood. The top doesn't have a mark on it, and the headstock has that buffed down (micro sanded) finish that tries to capture the look of an older guitar.

mI

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

Hey Larry- I think this comparison was the True Vintage and the "Vintage" models . . . caPitAliZation matters- the difference is thousands of _______ (enter preferred monetary unit). Even if it was lower case in the video title, it was in capitalized/embedded in the video's annotation. That would be Gibson's designation for models made with torrefied wood. The top doesn't have a mark on it, and the headstock has that buffed down (micro sanded) finish that tries to capture the look of an older guitar.

If it came  right down to it, I would not take either of the two guitars used in the comparison over my wife's 1960 J-200.  Neither had the saturated mids or cracklin' edge hers does.   In my case I was trying to render an opinion simply  on those two guitars.   Comparing new versions to instruments from past catalogs is usually bad business.  

Edited by zombywoof

7 hours ago, 62burst said:

LOL..........shows you how out-of-touch I am..........Didn't know or notice the "terrified" tops were called "Vintage."  Another J200 model.  Soon they'll have as many J200 models as there are J45 models.....What happens if you spend all that money on a Vintage and then some dude with a lowly Standard J200  blows your doors off?.....lol

11 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

LOL..........shows you how out-of-touch I am..........Didn't know or notice the "terrified" tops were called "Vintage."  Another J200 model.  Soon they'll have as many J200 models as there are J45 models.....What happens if you spend all that money on a Vintage and then some dude with a lowly Standard J200  blows your doors off?.....lol

You are not alone - I had the same understanding. Well, mis-understanding.

**** almost 10 years since i bought my Furch OM with a  cooked top and I have to say the sitka top looks now vintage , almost like cedar and so does the tone. Open, cranky, retro. 

But it took 4-5 years to get there. 

Point being is that its not instant soup, takes a few years to get the true benefits of a cooked top.

Edited by EuroAussie