Gibson Brands Forums

Schaller's New Strap Locks

Twang Gang

Not sure how new these are, but Schaller has improved their strap lock design.  They improved the way the lock is attached to the strap.  No more washer and nut to tighten:

S-Locks-Gruppe-SC-B_V2_800x800.jpgGo to schaller.info/s-locks to get the whole story.  The website is in German, but there is a video in English.  I bought a set and they work very nicely.  The strap button screw is self tapping and while longer than the screw that I removed it worked perfectly and they include the little felt pads.

As to why I bought a set - see my NGD post 🙂

I agree with m-e's comments.

I use Schallers on all my Les Pauls and they work fine but it is essential to check the nuts for tightness every so often. If these new ones do away with that necessity then I might have a look at them.

Pip.

The trick is really in the nut.  It has three holes in the sides.  You can put a small allen wrench through two of them lengthwise to tighten it down to the strap, and then there is a little set screw in the other hole for more security.  The threads on the part that attaches to the strap are longer than the older ones, and thus better for the thick padded straps.  Sometimes on the older ones if you had a thick strap it was difficult to get the washer and the nut started on the thread, and easier for them to come loose.  Although with a thin strap - the whole thing probably protrudes more than the old version.  To see how they fit look at their video at :  shaller.info/s-locks       They have way better pictures than I could take.

The 'link' was a bit of a chase around the meadow!

I like the promise that they are silent. I dont much like rattles. Also most of the protrusion is on the strap, so the guitar will still fit easily in its snug case. 

The only misgiving I have is that the button is integral to the screw. I have had to use different screws to supplied ones in the past. For instance, PRS screws are 1.12" inches long.

checked amazon a while ago.. the new ones are about the same cost as the previous ones.  I think I'll try some!

Thanks for the heads up!  The old ones work, BUT if you are not careful and make sure your ends are tight, there could be some heart ache in your future.

3 hours ago, duane v said:

I don't what it is, but I have always hated those things.

I guess I have been lucky because in my 45 years of playing guitar I have never had a "drop" incident. 

so... you were knocking on wood and rubbing a rabbits foot, while standing in a patch of 4 leaf clovers when you typed that right???

Edited by kidblast

Merciful - I had the same concern as you regarding the screw diameter and length.  As I recall the old Schaller's actually included a couple different size screws for that purpose.  But these new ones, the screw is self tapping, and it was wider and longer than the screw in the strap button from Gibson.  I thought I might need to get a drill bit and ream the hole out a little, but I used Schaller's new design, screwed it in by hand, and it worked perfectly as advertised.  It tapped it's own hole size without any chipping or cracking of the finish, and I  could actually see a little (very little) wood coming out the threads as I screwed it in.  And you are correct, the button attached to the guitar is no bigger so no problems with a tight case.  Any extra protrusion is only attached to the strap.

Edited by Twang Gang
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, duane v said:

I don't what it is, but I have always hated those things.

I guess I have been lucky because in my 45 years of playing guitar I have never had a "drop" incident. 

Good job! Do you play seated by any chance?

Before I started using strap retention devices, I played for 45 years also. Despite taking great care, my Levys strap came adrift about 6 or 8 times. Usually when leaning over to adjust something or picking up a drink. I always managed to catch the guitar, so there was never any consequence.

Now though, I really don't want to play out without some strap security, especially with a mahogany necked guitar. And  with especially  especially with a mahogany necked guitar with no scarf joint or laminate.

I wonder if you can just get the locking piece separately without the strap button itself? I have one of the new version ones and I had no idea it had a spot for an allen wrench to tighten it further and lock it down. It definitely doesn't stick out as much as the previous versions. I've used Schallers for decades without an incident.

30 minutes ago, MichaelT said:

I wonder if you can just get the locking piece separately without the strap button itself? I have one of the new version ones and I had no idea it had a spot for an allen wrench to tighten it further and lock it down. It definitely doesn't stick out as much as the previous versions. I've used Schallers for decades without an incident.

you could with the old ones,  but I'm not sure they weren't knock offs.  I figure at 19 bucks for the whole shebang, what the heck??

On 7/12/2019 at 12:42 AM, merciful-evans said:

Good job! Do you play seated by any chance?

Before I started using strap retention devices, I played for 45 years also. Despite taking great care, my Levys strap came adrift about 6 or 8 times. Usually when leaning over to adjust something or picking up a drink. I always managed to catch the guitar, so there was never any consequence.

Now though, I really don't want to play out without some strap security, especially with a mahogany necked guitar. And  with especially  especially with a mahogany necked guitar with no scarf joint or laminate.

I play standing up..... even in the recording studio.

I make a habit of checking the strap before playing....... I guess I've been lucky.... lol