Gibson Brands Forums

'95 J-30 Montana

LPDEN

I acquired a very lightly played '95 J-30 Montana yesterday as a partial trade towards my PRS McCarty Artist. I didn't know too much about these, but I played it for a while and it sounds wonderful. The action is set low and the neck is very fast and comfortable. It looks alot like a Plain Jane version of the Hummingbird. I allowed for $500 for it towards my PRS.

So did I do OK acquiring this one? What do you guys think of this model? Here are the pics I took last night right beofre I put a new set of strings on it. (You can see the prior owner had the E, A, & D strings going the wrong direction on the tuning machines, but that is squared away now)...

GibsonJ-30Montana001.jpg

GibsonJ-30Montana004.jpg

GibsonJ-30Montana005.jpg

GibsonJ-30Montana008.jpg

GibsonJ-30Montana012.jpg

I think you did more than OK.

I believe the J-30 was pretty much a hummingbird without the trimmings.

Back in the last century, I had a '94 (I think) J-30 for a couple of years.

Here's what I remember:

Not real loud, but not not muffled, either;

Played like butter;

Very sweet voice.

It had an ugly, poorly repaired crack in the upper bout, bass side.

I wish I still had it.

You did fine. About 3 or 4 years ago I bought a '91 J30 that I doubt has been played more than a few hours. All I did was change the strings and adjust the truss rod and put it back in the case. The warranty papers were never filled out, still in the case pocket. I don't ever play it, it's just there.

Thanks guys. I'm going to let acclimate a bit in it's case with the Planet Waves sound hole humidifier (seen in one of the pics below) I put in it last night as I it may have been a little dry seeing that the back didn't have that bit of outward bow.. I took a peek at it this morning before I left the house and even in that short time over night I saw and felt a bit of improvement. I'm sure it will be back to proper balance in another day or so.

Qhile it's not the J-45 Legend, or even the J-45 True Vintage which I would like to acquire one day, but I definitely see this as I guitar I'll take with me alot and play out with.

I bought a new J-30 back in 1991 and owned that guitar for 16 years or so.

Much like unclemac's experience, my J-30 wasn't the loudest, nor most lively guitar, but I liked the warm, woody tone quite a bit. All in all, a good guitar - it served me well while I owned it.

By the way, I paid $650 for mine back in '91 - I'd say you did alright!

Enjoy!

Guth

I spent some time playing it last night and I found some of the fret ends need to be be better dressed as there are some knife points here and there (I have some battle scars showing for the effort)... But darn if this thing doesn't sound nice. Even better with the new D'addario EJ15's I restrung it with. The lighter strings match the speed of the neck well, while at the same time not losing the fuller sound the J-30 seems to provide.

You've done very well for yourself my friend. You got the better end of the trade in my opinion (but what do I know). These guitars are definetly sleepers in the Gibsons line (along with the reissue Gospels). Have fun with it. I'm a little envious.

Fred

Thanks Fred!

I think you did more than OK.

I believe the J-30 was pretty much a hummingbird without the trimmings.

Back in the last century' date=' I had a '94 (I think) J-30 for a couple of years.

Here's what I remember:

Not real loud, but not not muffled, either;

Played like butter;

Very sweet voice.

It had an ugly, poorly repaired crack in the upper bout, bass side.

I wish I still had it.[/quote']

Yes, I can see how you got attached to this model. It's a real sleeper in terms of being low on the radar of guitars to have...

$500. I want to cry. Whilst I know nothing about used prices in the States' date=' that has to be a great deal. Congrats.[/quote']

Yeah, I finally got around to looking up the price and it shows a book of $1,000 - $1,100.

I bought a new J-30 back in 1991 and owned that guitar for 16 years or so.

Much like unclemac's experience' date=' my J-30 wasn't the loudest, nor most lively guitar, but I liked the warm, woody tone quite a bit. All in all, a good guitar - it served me well while I owned it.

By the way, I paid $650 for mine back in '91 - I'd say you did alright!

Enjoy!

Guth[/quote']

Thanks, Guth. I agree with both yours and Unclemac's assessments.

The (short) honeymoon is over, and while the J-30 Montana is a fabulous guitar (it's been called a sleeper here, and I agree), it is now in the hands of it's new owner who made me an offer I couldn't refuse. This will will certainly help me step-up to my next Gibson acoustic, which I have yet to finalize my decision, but I am mulling around between a few different models.

So why I am now feeling a little regret seeing this one go, I am equally enthusiastic about finding what will replace it.

Archived