Gibson Brands Forums

p93 roller bridge questions

pete424

Hello, I'm rather new to some of this so I came here to ask some questions.  I have a p93 that I purchased new about 4 yrs ago.  Recently I have noticed the guitar will not stay in tune. I decided to switch to a roller bridge. I purchased one from Amazon but when it arrived I noted that the screw size was wrong. I see one is 8MM and the other is 4MM. Do I return the larger wrong one I received or modify my case to accept the larger one? The top of the adjusting screw that comes through the top of the bridge on the larger one, seems sloppy loose. Is this normal or a problem with the bridge?

I would do the return rather than possibly mess up either the guitar or that new bridge. Now that you know what some of the problems can be, you will be a more experienced shopper.

I would also take a look at what EBay has, or talk to the guys at Tru-Arc. They might be able to give you a little more personal advice as to what you're looking for.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:46 AM, pete424 said:

Hello, I'm rather new to some of this so I came here to ask some questions.  I have a p93 that I purchased new about 4 yrs ago.  Recently I have noticed the guitar will not stay in tune. I decided to switch to a roller bridge. I purchased one from Amazon but when it arrived I noted that the screw size was wrong. I see one is 8MM and the other is 4MM. Do I return the larger wrong one I received or modify my case to accept the larger one? The top of the adjusting screw that comes through the top of the bridge on the larger one, seems sloppy loose. Is this normal or a problem with the bridge?

Don't muk it up, but...

I think you should remove your bridge and inspect the parts, so you can see what you are working with.. I think the Riviera P93 uses the smaller M4 posts. (Les Pauls and SGs normally use the heavier M8s). If you lift off your bridge, will the new roller bridge fit on the your guitars original posts?

Your new bridge should have come with 2 M8 and 2 M4 posts.. The M4 's should thread into your original threaded bushings. You should not have to install new threaded bushings. Epiphones are all metric..

Also take measurements of the height of the thumb wheels from the top of your guitar before you move them. So you can get close installing new hardware.

Pics of what you are working with would help...

Note: Trouble Tuning? After 4 years of tuning your tuners could be wearing out. The P93 uses a Kluson/Gibson vintage style of tuner that has a 14/1 ratio with small buttons, this is kind of a high ratio for small buttons. An 18/1 through 15/1 maybe easer to articulate. But if you replace them, I would recommend a similar style with the "same hole pattern". Also if you get the ones "without threaded bushings" you won't have to do any drilling. In addition the slots in your string nut could be binding not allowing the strings to slide.

Edited by mihcmac