Gibson Brands Forums

I am self-taught

Welcome aboard, Linda. 

Many of us here are self-taught, and a few of us came up thru proper music lessons and/or Band Classes in school. 

My guitar playing has been likened to the sound of a cat with its tail caught in a noisy machine. 

Some people just don't know from jazz. 

:(

On 7/13/2019 at 11:01 PM, sparquelito said:

Welcome aboard, Linda. 

Many of us here are self-taught, and a few of us came up thru proper music lessons and/or Band Classes in school. 

My guitar playing has been likened to the sound of a cat with its tail caught in a noisy machine. 

Some people just don't know from jazz. 

😞

Ahaha, thanks for the support!

Welcome aboard Linda.  I started playing later in life (in 2003 on guitar and 2005 on bass).  I took weekly, in-person lessons until 2005.  Since then, I have been self-taught except for annual one-week excursions to the National Guitar Workshop, Austin Campus, from 2003-2011.

Inspiration is the driving force. Inspiration doesn't require skill or desire. Inspiration doesn't need you to sound good. 

I knew a guy, way back when, in the 1970's, all he had to do was brush his right hand playing fingers across the open strings, that inspired him. He was amazed and engrossed in the sound of the acoustic guitar. Sort of like the Rush 2112 Album.

All you need is inspiration and a joy of listening to your own work. That's the key, you need to sound amazing to yourself. Sounding good to everyone else is for egotists, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but for me personally, its whether you inspire yourself and sound good to yourself. That's all that matters.

Welcome to the forum and all the best in continuing your inspirations and may that move you forward in your guitar playing journey

H

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...