Gibson Brands Forums

John Pearse strings on my songwriter - pure gold

stumps

I want to officially THANK those that recommended I give John Pearse strings a shot. I put on the 600Ls - phosphor bronze lights - I immediately got the sound I wanted, even before they were broken in, and after a week of playing they sound even better. The light notes are bright and ring, the low notes are warm without being muted. the strumming sound I get is amazing - not jangly overtones and you can hear the mix of tones well.

WOW!

I spent this past weekend playing - probably played 20 hours over 3 days - I just can't put it down. Instead of TV in the evenings I'm playing at least an hour. As a result, the good news is that I've been able to nail down a few new songs. Here's a bonus to these strings - after the 20 hours of play, I checked the tuning because I figured something had to be out of tune - every string was perfect still! amazing!

Anyway, I just wanted to say THANKS!!! Great strings!

JP strings are among the finest available. I've been stringing the jumbo with them from day one......light PBs. I want to give the 80/20s a whirl though. Rosewood on the SJ200 is quite dark and powerful with phosphor bronze and I'm thinking the different alloy might provide a little focus to the bottom.

Hey Stumps. Thanks for the post. I'll be trying these next assuming I can find them in the UK. Sounds like they work well on the SWD. What guage are you using?

I went with the lights - 600L - they give some of the warmth of mediums but you can still play with them - bend, etc. it's like the best of both worlds. It's like eating a 300 calorie whopper.

Oh, the 600L are the phosphor bronze lights... different sound than the 80/20s

String discussions have always interested me. It seems like certain strings are made to go with certain guitars, tonewoods, etc. There is also the perception of the player as to what makes his/her ears happy. For example, I tried a set of John Pearse lights on my J-45 about a year ago. While I didn't mind them, they didn't really excite me either. I thought the D'Addario EJ-16's sounded better and felt better when I finger picked. I'm tempted to throw a set on my SJ-200 to give them another whirl. There are so many people that are excited about them that I feel I need to give them another chance on a different body with some different wood. Hog vs. maple. This is always a good thread IMHO.

Archived