Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Model AJ-220SCS/EB | Finish?

PeteMarko

I would like to know what kind of finish my Epiphone Model AJ-220SCS/EB has, I'm using Gibson pump polish which isn't to bad in keeping it looking like new but it marks so easy (its black I know ) 🙂

Taylor recommend a wax for their gloss finished guitars.

Anyone like to comment?

Pete

I believe it’s a polyurethane finish as most Epiphone’s have.  Quite shiny and durable.  I use a gentle light guitar or piano polish to periodically wipe mine down to remove gunk from my arm resting t on it.  The finish cleans up easily.  

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Hi Jeff, I have  a Hummingbird Pro which has a very shiny finish, I'm sure it is polyurethane.  but my 220 SCS/EB is not quite as glossy as that, it will show marks and fingerprints, the Hummy responds to a quick wipe with a clean rag and is good as new. I think there might be a difference, not sure what though. Its not a satin finish. 

IMG_20181104_154639.jpg

Pretty sure it’s finish is also polyurethane.  The black color may show more fingerprints and it’s possible that different Epi’s have more or less polyurethane  on them.  All I have ever read is that  Epi’s have that finish on them  unless they are satin finishes or are one of the occasionally very high priced Epis that are made on a very limited run that are replicas of Kalamazoo made Epis, which in some cases may have nitrocellulose finishes like the originals.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Ok, thanks, maybe its because its black and shows every little mark, I clean it with Gibson Pump polish which isn't bad, I'm looking around for a silicone free wax to try on it, Taylor recommend Turtle Express Shine which funny enough apparently contains silicone, and they say don't use anything with silicone? go figure?

Pete

The reason manufacturers usually recommend a silicon free  product is because the silicon could make it problematic to refinish the guitar later, unless it is completely removed prior.  It's especially a problem with nitrocellulose. I doubt you have to take this into consideration with an AJ200, as it has an extremely durable poly finish, and the cost of refinishing it would probably more than the guitar itself in any case. So I think you're OK with either product. But the Gibson stuff smells divine.

Red 333