Gibson Brands Forums

whose playing what on what right now

uncle fester

Folks it's a little quiet around here, so hoping some targeted background noise would be welcome.  There's some talented folks here, some folks here with  nice collections, and some talented folks with nice collections...  I know people are playing.

Whose playing what on what guitars right now?

Me - guitar, J45...(my  super sweet, doubly awesome cool, jealousy inducing  J45)

Songs:

• Johnny Cash - Gods gonna cut you down
  • Eurythmics - Sweet things
  • Take me out t the ballgame
  • Box Tops - The letter (gulp)
  • Original - This quirky look 

--------------

Anyone?

Edited by billroy

52 minutes ago, blindboygrunt said:

Whiskey town did a gorgeous version of that 

Absolutely love that song in all guises...Whiskeytown were such a great band, too. Stranger's Almanac is probably my favourite album of that '90s Alt. Country movement, barely a weak five minutes on the whole thing.

• Upvote 1

S. Stills on my re-necked CW 66, which I have managed to get down to reeeeaal low action. 

Among other things by some rather serious and in this temple new fret-sanding. 

Also do Lanena and Hickory Wind, which both are so easy they work good as rehearsals for finer nuanced flatpicking. 

• Upvote 1

I am usually working on a few things at the same time.  I like to add a few tunes a month to the solo set, just to keep it fresh and keep that list growing.

notably,  an Amos Lee song, which was inspired by one of the vids posted in this forum.   For that mostly the J200, but if the Grand Symphony, or my '78 Yari DY74 are looking for some air time, I'll pull those out too.

Also been working on some instrumental arrangement  for a few songs that I've been asked to do for a few performances I will be doing over the next few months.  those are best done on a nylon string.

so my Taylor 514NY for those.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

Also been working on some instrumental arrangement  for a few songs that I've been asked to do for a few performances I will be doing over the next few months.  those are best done on a nylon string.

Nylon string, that's just crazy talk!

Interesting question in that I really never think about it.

I am stull running to my 1932 L-1 a whole lot.  First, it is my most recent acquisition.   Second, the 1 3/4" nut and 2 5/16" string spread at the bridge remain my idea of a slice of guitar heaven.

I seem to have been on an Open D tuning binge as of late.  Although some were obviously not originally recorded in Open D  it works real well for me.

Tommy Johnson - Big Road Blues

Stones - Factory Girl & Prodigal Son

As to others in standard tuning I seem to be playing a lot:

Blind Blake - West Coast Blues

Rev. Gary Davis- Cincinnati Flow Rag 

Josh White - One Meatball

And to make my wife happy (who always complains I tend to play stuff others have never heard  making it tougher for them to join in)

Traveling Wilburys - Handle With Care

Tom Petty - Louisiana Rain 

Steve Earle - Copperhead Road 

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

When I´m back home:

- Fairground Attraction - "Perfect"

- Willin´, Comfortably Numb, You´ve Got A Friend and

"Walkin In Memphis" which does not work in the band. We have a very good piano player, but Marc Cohn built in some tricky syncopated parts where the "1" shifts to "4+" or vice versa and it is hard to catch the singer and the drummer, even if this song sounds correct if you play it alone on guitar.

Needed the songs for a jam session / open stage.

Guitars: Maple AJ, Humminbird and a D28

• Like 1