Gibson Brands Forums

Hive-mind opinions sought....

dhanners623

After five years in Kuwait, we're moving to Cyprus. My wife got a teaching job there and while Kuwait was nice from an economic standpoint, from a music standpoint, it is The Land Where Music Goes to Die.

We're back in the U.S. for a brief visit before heading abroad, but I've got a conundrum. I have decided to travel light, meaning I'm only taking one guitar. I'll either take my '16 J-35 or the new Farida OT-22 I got this summer. It's a very good guitar and punches way above its weight, pricewise. It's an outstanding guitar. The J-35 needs no introduction, but earlier this month I did get an ebony nut installed (replacing the stock Tusq nut) and I had the electronics taken out. Both have had a positive impact on it.

I'll be carrying the guitar as a carry-on, and both guitars have their pluses and minuses from a travel standpoint. So I'm wondering -- If you're on a Mediterranean island for a year or more, which guitar do you take? Why? What plus or minus haven't I thought of?

Gota vote for the J-35 as it is simply a great guitar.  I have however, heard that the Farida 22s are very friendly to the ear.....similar to a Gibson LG2 sound/vibe.   Are you taking the environment into consideration??  ie, will the guitar be in a controlled environment??  Having spent some years in the Med,.....some hot summers!!  Wow, talk about the ol' only one guitar to take on a deserted island situation...I guess at the end of the day, which guitar would you miss the most??  At least you will no longer be in the "Where music goes to die".  

I guess it depends on what you are going to use the guitar for. Will you try to find gigs to play? Will you be working on new songs? Will you just be noodling on the couch? 

I wouldn't be surprised if you soon find yourself part of a new scene with both local musicians, as well as others from abroad. My advise would be to bring the guitar that inspires you the most, which I would assume to be the J-35. 

Lars

14 minutes ago, Proclaimer888 said:

Gota vote for the J-35 as it is simply a great guitar.  I have however, heard that the Farida 22s are very friendly to the ear.....similar to a Gibson LG2 sound/vibe.   Are you taking the environment into consideration??  ie, will the guitar be in a controlled environment??  Having spent some years in the Med,.....some hot summers!!  Wow, talk about the ol' only one guitar to take on a deserted island situation...I guess at the end of the day, which guitar would you miss the most??  At least you will no longer be in the "Where music goes to die".  

The problem is, I'd probably miss either. The guitar will be in a controlled environment; I figure if I can take care of guitars in Kuwait, I can do it anywhere. (On the plus side, it does appear there are actual guitar-repair shops in Nicosia, where we'll be. There are NONE in Kuwait.)

24 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

The problem is, I'd probably miss either. The guitar will be in a controlled environment; I figure if I can take care of guitars in Kuwait, I can do it anywhere. (On the plus side, it does appear there are actual guitar-repair shops in Nicosia, where we'll be. There are NONE in Kuwait.)

Well.....regardless, I wish I had your dilemma.....Eastern Med is quite spectacular and quite sure you will pull some tunes outa that clear blue water.  Regardless of your final pick, you must keep us up on this post as you move and expect a few pics from you as well!!  OPA!!! and have a safe journey.  

If you're anything like me, no matter which one you take, you'll wish at times you had both there.  But that sounds like a complicated option.

a conundrum for sure,  but on the plus side, you will be on an island,,, in the Mediterranean,..  life could deal you worse puzzles! 🙂

Take the one that you are the most tied to.   (probably the Gibson??)

We're going for a two week vacation in October, we rarely go for 2 weeks..  I've already decided the SJ200 is the one coming.  (I have 5 nice acoustics)...

Edited by kidblast