Gibson Brands Forums

GIBSON?

Obedoff

Serial numbers are no use in determining with 100% certainty whether a particular instrument is - or is not - a fake. If a competent counterfeiter can fake an entire guitar then a serial number isn't going to prove to be much of a challenge.

We need to see far clearer shots and taken at sensible angles. There are no glaring errors so it's not the usual Chinese fare but without substantially better images all we can see is that it closely resembles a LP Custom.

Pip.

Edited by pippy

CS 0009.........

Alarm bells.

Blurry pic of back of headstock, wrong tuners, no CS decal, 'Made in USA' stamp crooked, can't make out headstock 'wings'.....

More alarm bells.

Gibson 1970s font stamped on pots,  messy wiring job.......

I'd pass on this one personally.

31 minutes ago, jdgm said:

CS 0009.........

Alarm bells.

Blurry pic of back of headstock, wrong tuners, no CS decal, 'Made in USA' stamp crooked, can't make out headstock 'wings'.....

More alarm bells.

Gibson 1970s font stamped on pots,  messy wiring job.......

I'd pass on this one personally.

thanks man) the guitar looks nice but somthing tell me to stay away)

CS0009 is a very unusual and low serial number.

The 'Made In USA' is stamped into the wood.  Custom shop guitars more often have a Custom Shop round decal on rear base of headstock.  CS serial number is usually a decal too.

No CS-serial number guitar would have pots with that 'Gibson' stamp on them  IMO as they are from a different era (1970s), so it must have been rewired.

The LP Custom truss rod cover usually has, yes,  'Les Paul Custom'  inscribed on it.  So that has been replaced as well, but from the pic it seems to be obscuring the bottom of the diamond inlay; this isn't unheard of but it's another concern.  I can't really see from the picture so I may be wrong.  The bridge also looks a bit funny but again not enough detail to definitely tell.

None of the above is conclusive......but.........:-k

Forum members please correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

Edited by jdgm