Gibson Brands Forums

New 2020 Corvette Announced

Twang Gang

The long anticipated launch of the new mid-engine Corvette happened last night.  A few cool factoids about it;  with the Z51 package they are claiming a 0-60 MPH time under 3 seconds!  Base model price to start under $60K, room for two golf bags in the rear trunk (plus has a front cargo area), and for all our pals across the pond, they will make a right hand drive model.  Just go to Chevrolet.com to check it out.

Sub $60k is definitely a deal, but in that price range I'd probably look for a higher end (camaro, mustang, challenger...  you choose) instead of a scaled back vette.  Ultimately when I get my corvette, I'm thinking I'd like the $120k blinged out to the max version. but need to finish paying off my chevette first 🙂

7 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Body design is great! 0-60 in 3 seconds. World Class speed. But, why the Plasticky rear end trim & Interior?

Am I right in thinking the originals had fibreglass bodies?

On 7/19/2019 at 12:36 PM, IanHenry said:

That sounds like a lot of car for (comparatively) little money! 

Speaking of "a lot of car for little money" ... I just got a 2019 Dodge Challenger Widebody Scatpack with 485 hp.  The Scatpack widebody has a lot of Hellcat flowdown including exclusive front end and hood,  12"-wide Pirellei P-Zeros on 20"inch Devils Rims at each corner, 6-piston Brembos , the "SRT Performance" screens for engine/suspension configuration and monitoring, and much of the Hellcat suspension -- all these items are only on Scat widebodies and Hellcats for Challengers.  Oh yeah, plus you get a  full-sized trunk and a usable back seat.  The perfect daily driver ... 

MSRP fully loaded: $55K.  I paid only $46K (with $1750 rebate and dealer discount).  

Note: They did not make many of the Scatpack widebodies, and there has been  a lot of blow-back to Dodge that these widebody Scats were basically a Hellcat with only 200 fewer horsepower (that are typically unused on the street).  The Hellcats use a turbo  for that additional 200 hp, so the Hellcats actually weigh more and don't handle as well as the lighter widebody Scats.  Besides being sometimes difficult to locate on a dealer lot, there is also talk of discontinuing the Scat widebody entirely for 2020 after only one year of production to ensure greater product differences between the Scatpack and the Hellcat lines.

79df2eee9a98e171a77b8ea283ec33a1x.jpg

Edited by 01GT eibach

23 hours ago, jdgm said:

Am I right in thinking the originals had fibreglass bodies?

The originals did have fiberglass bodies, but what few realize is that in order to make fiberglass strong enough (especially on a convertible) they had to have so many layers they turned out heavier than a sheet metal body would have been.  But they went with it in order to sculpt the shapes which would have been difficult to make dies for metal and since they weren't making that many (300 the first year) cost to tool for metal would be too high.  As plastics developed and got stronger the bodies became what I would call plastic (ABS).  Although some people think they are still fiberglass - sort of blurry line between plastic reinforced fiberglass.

Billroy - if you are thinking about a new Camaro better get one now, rumor has it GM will stop making them soon. 

I was really hoping initially when the Corvette conceptual images came out it would look close to that. (see images). Some round curves and differentiation from the Camaro.

But to me it ended up looking like a kitted down Pontiac Fiero...... Very Robotronish. 

vette3_zpspy76r3ux.png

vette2_zpse3ktli5f.png

vette1_zpseboce7yy.png

23 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

Speaking of "a lot of car for little money" ... I just got a 2019 Dodge Challenger Widebody Scatpack with 485 hp.

MSRP fully loaded: $55K.  I paid only $46K (with $1750 rebate and dealer discount). 

Nice score on a beautiful car. Crazy plumb purple is my favorite color Challenger. [thumbup]

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2019 at 1:53 AM, StRanger7032 said:

Its automatic only, therefore even if I wanted to drop the money on one I wouldn't. No manual, no sale for me! Sad to see the storied Corvette only available with a slushbox, flappy paddle shifters can piss off!

The new paddle shifters are hardly "flappy" as you call them.  When you push in a conventional clutch all power is cut to the drivetrain until you shift and re-engage the clutch.  Formula 1 cars have been using paddle shifters for years now for better performance.  The new Vette has an 8 speed dual-clutch transmission and whether you use the paddle shift or just let it shift itself there is very little power loss between gears.

On 7/22/2019 at 1:49 PM, duane v said:

I was really hoping initially when the Corvette conceptual images came out it would look close to that. (see images). Some round curves and differentiation from the Camaro.

But to me it ended up looking like a kitted down Pontiac Fiero...... Very Robotronish. 

vette3_zpspy76r3ux.png

vette2_zpse3ktli5f.png

vette1_zpseboce7yy.png

Here is what the one I ordered will look like.  Not as wild as the conceptional drawings, and while everyone is entitled to their opinion, I hardly think it looks like a Camaro or a Pontiac Fiero

GGVBZvv.jpg

13 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Here is what the one I ordered will look like.  Not as wild as the conceptional drawings, and while everyone is entitled to their opinion, I hardly think it looks like a Camaro or a Pontiac Fiero

GGVBZvv.jpg

That car is beautiful (love the color) and hard to confuse with anything except maybe a Ferrari. I'm waiting for the supercharged version. Then all I have to do is sell my house to have enough money.  :-)

I've been a 'Vette fanatic since I was a little kid.. I watched Route 66 as a kid to give you an idea... I like almost everything about this new 'Vette... Even though I didn't think I would.

What I don't like is the Storage area.. I have a Black 2005 'Vette with removable Targa Top. It has about 23,000 miles & is Mint.

My wife & I can go on a trip, with normal luggage & I can take a Guitar & my Fender Princeton Amp.... That would be impossible with the new 'Vette.... 

I don't want to travel without a Guitar so, sadly, this new 'Vette isn't for me....

Edited by Larsongs

On 7/24/2019 at 1:53 AM, StRanger7032 said:

Its automatic only, therefore even if I wanted to drop the money on one I wouldn't. No manual, no sale for me! Sad to see the storied Corvette only available with a slushbox, flappy paddle shifters can piss off!

+1, gone are the days when you could enjoy a manual transmission. 

6 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I thought it was mid engine with front and rear storage? Seems like a fair amount of space but I haven’t seen one to know for sure

Congrats Twang

Space for a small overnight bag in front Compartment & 2 Sets of Clubs in the rear compartment behind the Engine. Not exactly designed for Travelling... That said, it's a beautiful Performance Show Car....