Gibson Brands Forums

pick wear

Black Dog

I recently started using Jazz III style picks.  I liked it enough that I bought a Blue Chip version.  I've been using it now for about 3 months.  I just decided to try the XL version, which is supposed to have the exact same tip shape.  When I got the new one I was surprised to see how much wear there had been on the older one.

This is from their website:

kGFDjOw.jpg

These are my two picks:

6sFouwO.jpg

This just surprised me.  They are fairly expensive and that seems like a pretty short life span.  The thing is they seem fairly hard. 

Bluechips are supposed to last a LONG time, and Ive been using mine exclusively for the last 3 months and it more or less still looks like new. That looks like a different pick shape to me, not wear, but I dont know. I figured a bluechip would last at LEAST 6 months of hard playing before wearing out, and there’s alot of people who back this up. Im starting to use dunlop primetones as they feel similar to Bluechips, but not as smooth and probably wont last as long, but for the price difference I believe they’re worth it.

1 hour ago, brad1 said:

That does seem excessive. 

What material are they made of?

And how often do you play?

I'm not sure what they're made of.  I haven't been able to find that on their site.

I play 15-20 hours a week I guess.

I've just never seen that before with other synthetic picks.

I have also been using some wood picks which are interesting, but you expect those to wear faster.

5 minutes ago, TheLeadFlatpick said:

Bluechips are supposed to last a LONG time, and Ive been using mine exclusively for the last 3 months and it more or less still looks like new. That looks like a different pick shape to me, not wear, but I dont know. I figured a bluechip would last at LEAST 6 months of hard playing before wearing out, and there’s alot of people who back this up. Im starting to use dunlop primetones as they feel similar to Bluechips, but not as smooth and probably wont last as long, but for the price difference I believe they’re worth it.

No, it's definitely the same shape originally, unless they mislabeled one of them.

5BlW0J5.jpg