Gibson Brands Forums

Shielding control cover?

Navy Vet.

31 minutes ago, Eracer_Team said:

is your LPJ single coil ? p90?

without the control cover copper shield connected to anything.. No.

Sure that makes sense, but should I take a small strip of tape and place one end on top of the volume pot and the other end on the cavity lip making contact with the tape on the back of the cover this would create a ground circuit. But my question is shielding the back of the control cover adequate to eliminate hum.

Gibson P90's are susceptible to 60 cycle hum. Your strings act like an antenna, if you move the orientation of the guitar to your amp the hum will change, find the sweet spot with the least hum and move farther away.

Check your power cables make sure you have a good ground on your amp and effects.

Check all of your guitar cables, make sure none are microphonic, or make noise when you step on them.

Check your effects to make sure none are creating more hum..

I use a HumX by EBTECH that reduces line noise hum created by poorly grounded electric outlets.

Old florescent lights can cause lots of hum.

Humbuckers were created to cancel out 60 cycle hum, but cannot produce the tonal range of a P90. I use P90's exclusively on all of my guitars, there are a few noiseless P90s that work pretty well, but most of my guitars have 2 P90s one of which is in reverse polarity so when the selector is in mid position you get hum cancelling.

Good luck, main thing is to reduce or remove anything  that is making noise in your setup....

• Upvote 1

I’m playing a 2019 Les Jr single cut through a Vox amp. Straight connect no pedals. I’m getting a little hum at higher volume and at ten I start to here compression through the amp.  I dig the guitar, but I notice the control cavity is not shielded. The weather here is very humid so it’s not dry air causing this.  I play my Strat or Tele and I’m not getting any hum, but the aren’t packing a P-90 either.  

3 minutes ago, Navy Vet. said:

I’m playing a 2019 Les Jr single cut through a Vox amp. Straight connect no pedals. I’m getting a little hum at higher volume and at ten I start to here compression through the amp.  I dig the guitar, but I notice the control cavity is not shielded. The weather here is very humid so it’s not dry air causing this.  I play my Strat or Tele and I’m not getting any hum, but the aren’t packing a P-90 either.  

You can put shielding in  the control cavity that may help a little, but the hum is caused by the AC line effecting the magnetic fields of your guitar. P90's are very hot pickups having more than twice as many windings on the coil as Tele or Strat pickups. Also current Strats center pickup is in reverse polarity so when you use position 2 and 4 you get hum-cancelling. Backing off the volume and tone a bit on your Jr will also help reduce noise, P90's have lots of both to spare..

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

You can put shielding in  the control cavity that may help a little, but the hum is caused by the AC line effecting the magnetic fields of your guitar. P90's are very hot pickups having more than twice as many windings on the coil as Tele or Strat pickups. Also current Strats center pickup is in reverse polarity so when you use position 2 and 4 you get hum-cancelling. Backing off the volume and tone a bit on your Jr will also help reduce noise, P90's have lots of both to spare..

No doubt about the volume or tone, this Les Jr will eat my Strat and Tele’s lunch and think it’s a small snack. 

• Upvote 1

I put copper tape on the back of my 2019 LP Jr. Tribute and cut the little static pops I had.  I did not try to run a fancy ground connection either, just taped as much as I could.

Phones (think wifi and BT) in pockets and playing right up against the amp is not helpful either.

30 minutes ago, Zippydog said:

I put copper tape on the back of my 2019 LP Jr. Tribute and cut the little static pops I had.  I did not try to run a fancy ground connection either, just taped as much as I could.

Phones (think wifi and BT) in pockets and playing right up against the amp is not helpful either.

Thanks. I'll order tape from Stew Mac.

If you are having problems, as I have had, with shielding issue's such as scratching the control cover when plugged in and having the sound come thru the speakers, yes? then you need to shield the Guitar

I have found that since GIBSON USA  has stopped  using shielding paint these problems are commonplace.

Starting with the Toggle Switch compartment (as on a Les Paul) and working my way to the Pick-Up Cavities, runways and to the Control Pocket, put Copper Shielding Tape on all wood surfaces. After completing, say, the Toggle-Switch cavity, plug in and see if the problem still exists, if so, keep going......and so on until the entire Guitar is shielded..... if necessary.

A FARADAYS BOX is not always necessary to stop these really annoying issue's, Sometimes just taping the Toggle-Switch compartment is enough! But each guitar and environment is its own issue. I do know that WE the Customer are doing GIBSON USA's job for them...... for frikkin free. GIBSON USA might stop it if everyone sent the Guitar back for every static popping noise there is on these new Gibson USA Model's(since 2015 at least!). I have yet to have a shielding issue on a 'CUSTOM' or 'MEMPHIS' GIBSON  because the GIBSON CUSTOM shop (and MEMPHIS Shop too) are still using SHIELDING PAINT in the manufacturing process and it is quite visible for anyone that wants to look for the Shielding Paint on a CUSTOM/MEMPHIS Guitar. BUT...not on GIBSON USA Model's however. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP !!!!

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, MADCLAPPER said:

If you are having problems, as I have had, with shielding issue's such as scratching the control cover when plugged in and having the sound come thru the speakers, yes? then you need to shield the Guitar

I have found that since GIBSON USA  has stopped  using shielding paint these problems are commonplace.

Starting with the Toggle Switch compartment (as on a Les Paul) and working my way to the Pick-Up Cavities, runways and to the Control Pocket, put Copper Shielding Tape on all wood surfaces. After completing, say, the Toggle-Switch cavity, plug in and see if the problem still exists, if so, keep going......and so on until the entire Guitar is shielded..... if necessary.

A FARADAYS BOX is not always necessary to stop these really annoying issue's, Sometimes just taping the Toggle-Switch compartment is enough! But each guitar and environment is its own issue. I do know that WE the Customer are doing GIBSON USA's job for them...... for frikkin free. GIBSON USA might stop it if everyone sent the Guitar back for every static popping noise there is on these new Gibson USA Model's(since 2015 at least!). I have yet to have a shielding issue on a 'CUSTOM' or 'MEMPHIS' GIBSON  because the GIBSON CUSTOM shop (and MEMPHIS Shop too) are still using SHIELDING PAINT in the manufacturing process and it is quite visible for anyone that wants to look for the Shielding Paint on a CUSTOM/MEMPHIS Guitar. BUT...not on GIBSON USA Model's however. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP !!!!

Well, it's not the end of the world for me to pull the pots out and shield the cavity. I shielded a few guitars in my time. And It's a 1500.00 guitar, so I didn't pay an arm an leg. But I have in my time played 5-6K guitars that sounded like a garbage truck backing over a trash can too. Price and brand doesn't ensure you have a guitar that is going to deliver the tone you're chasing. Not a big deal to shield, I will say this Gibson cleans up very nice at vol 4, sounds so pretty and clean like a church choir. Get around 7  and it's hell on wheels, all hot and nasty. Just the way I like 'em.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Navy Vet. said:

Well, it's not the end of the world for me to pull the pots out and shield the cavity. I shielded a few guitars in my time. And It's a 1500.00 guitar, so I didn't pay an arm an leg. But I have in my time played 5-6K guitars that sounded like a garbage truck backing over a trash can too. Price and brand doesn't ensure you have a guitar that is going to deliver the tone you're chasing. Not a big deal to shield, I will say this Gibson cleans up very nice at vol 4, sounds so pretty and clean like a church choir. Get around 7  and it's hell on wheels, all hot and nasty. Just the way I like 'em.

MC doesn't seem to be very knowledgeable about Jr's or P90's. Since Jr's don't have switches, when you have one pickup, you don't need one. He seems to be referencing the static problems on other new Gibson models caused by the Nitro finish.  Anyway enjoy the blistering sounds of early southern rock with your Jr........

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

MC doesn't seem to be very knowledgeable about Jr's or P90's. Since Jr's don't have switches, when you have one pickup, you don't need one. He seems to be referencing the static problems on other new Gibson models caused by the Nitro finish.  Anyway enjoy the blistering sounds of early southern rock with your Jr........

Thanks, "Aqualung, my friend."

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Navy Vet. said:

You are correct, BUT Brand (& Price) used to ensure that you would at least get a Guitar that doesn't POP and have static issue's as many USA Models do now!I have found that its the Toggle-Switch on more than a few USA Model's I've shielded.  My comment was not about anything specific, as someone else seems to think, but a more general comment concerning the 'USA' line of Guitars.......I have heard (& seen) that GIBSON USA is now using shielding paint again on some , but not all(?) 'USA' models. A recent FIREBIRD T (not Studio POS) purchase shows no PC Board in the Control Pocket Assembly and the presence of Shielding Paint in the Pick-Up Cavities, but not in the Control Pocket or Runway under the Pick-Guard. Its sort of an improvement?

If you have shielded a Guitar in the past, it will not be a problem to do so again. BUT, you should not have to do this, its GIBSON's frikkin job whether you paid $1,500 or $10,000 for your new Guitar.... you seem likely to not fall for the 'USE DRYER SHEETS', that silly-*** laughable retort GIBSON phone reps seem fond of. 'HUH? Dryer Sheets? Really?'...........

12 minutes ago, deeman said:

wild bill sure LOVES to use caps LOCK when he composes out his POSTS along with ARBITRARY ellipses.......and INCORRECT advice. the op WOULD be doing themselves a favor to IGNORE any post OF his. 

I think Navy Vet realizes the guy is on a different plane of reality than the rest of the forum.  You think if MadClapper, WildBill... or what ever the many names he goes by wants to sneak in under the radar, he would change his writing style and attitude.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

I think Navy Vet realizes the guy is on a different plane of reality than the rest of the forum.  You think if MadClapper, WildBill... or what ever the many names he goes by wants to sneak in under the radar, he would change his writing style and attitude.

My intentions are to solve a problem seeking input from folks, I didn't want to ruffle anyone's feathers. But it seems some folks get riled up about things. Hell, I have never bought a "perfect" guitar and I probably never will. I don't think they exist. I don't mind tinkering with things, especially guitars. Now dig this. I drag a solid state amp down from upstairs and plug Les Jr. into it last night. Not a peep of hum, I tried to get it to hum, it wouldn't do it. I plug in my Tele, no hum, I plug in my LG-2 no hum. And I thought to myself-Huh! So I plug into my Vox and I get hum using all three guitars. It was then I discovered  the power supply to the Vox was not flush with the amp. I secured it and guess what.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Navy Vet. said:

My intentions are to solve a problem seeking input from folks, I didn't want to ruffle anyone's feathers. But it seems some folks get riled up about things. Hell, I have never bought a "perfect" guitar and I probably never will. I don't think they exist. I don't mind tinkering with things, especially guitars. Now dig this. I drag a solid state amp down from upstairs and plug Les Jr. into it last night. Not a peep of hum, I tried to get it to hum, it wouldn't do it. I plug in my Tele, no hum, I plug in my LG-2 no hum. And I thought to myself-Huh! So I plug into my Vox and I get hum using all three guitars. It was then I discovered  the power supply to the Vox was not flush with the amp. I secured it and guess what.

Problem Solved!?! Cool Beans!!

• Upvote 1

The Les Paul Junior is an iconic design that has been in production for well over 60 years. Simplicity in form and function and gives you everything you need without going off the deep end. it seems that Gibson got it right the first time without being overdone. Its comfortable to play and its hot P90 combined with a solid metal wraparound bridge gives you tones that are unrivaled, enhanced by the mahogany construction. There is literally nothing like them. A lot of people have compared their guitars to machineguns, the Junior is a bazooka, can easily cut through and dance on top of most other guitars. The trick is controlling them, the question is, are you up to it.. [mellow]

6 hours ago, Big Bill said:

U r the 2nd or 3rd person that thinks I am SumDum Jack, Wild Bill or some other name, ICR.....Lol,  I don't 'SNEAK' anywhere, for any reason. Nor do I need to change my attitude for you..... or any other judgemental D-Bag. This includes when I am at your Momma's house  gettin freeky. Insults are a two way street buddy. You wanna play Ziegumd/Anna Fraud and tell people what 'PLANE' you think someone else is on without knowing who, or what, you are referring to?  Your asking for it, so expect the same......or worse !

On 7/22/2019 at 3:07 PM, MADCLAPPER said:

I don't think you are WildBill212, but I have to disagree with you about the Custom Shop LPs having shielding paint in them.  My 2015 LP Custom does not have any shielding paint whatsoever in it.  I know, because I had to repair a pickup ground wire that detached from the pot - poor soldering job.  Can't speak for Gibson Memphis, but I'd bet that there are Memphis Gibsons that aren't shielded either.  Heck, my 2010 Gibson LP Custom 1968 RI doesn't have shielding paint in it either come to think of it...  So before you start calling out USA Gibsons as cheap, go look inside a Custom Shop Gibson and start ranting about how these are cheap.  I disagree that USA Gibsons are cheap.  I also believe that Custom Shop Gibsons are nicer, but they also cost a lot more. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

I don't think you are WildBill212, but I have to disagree with you about the Custom Shop LPs having shielding paint in them.  My 2015 LP Custom does not have any shielding paint whatsoever in it.  I know, because I had to repair a pickup ground wire that detached from the pot - poor soldering job.  Can't speak for Gibson Memphis, but I'd bet that there are Memphis Gibsons that aren't shielded either.  Heck, my 2010 Gibson LP Custom 1968 RI doesn't have shielding paint in it either come to think of it...  So before you start calling out USA Gibsons as cheap, go look inside a Custom Shop Gibson and start ranting about how these are cheap.  I disagree that USA Gibsons are cheap.  I also believe that Custom Shop Gibsons are nicer, but they also cost a lot more. 

I'm damn proud of my 2019 Original Collection Les Paul Jr. I think it's a fine guitar. For years I played Fender's exclusively for the simple reason they were a lot less expensive. Then I played a friends SG, and I really liked the P-90 tone. I have never owned the perfect guitar. They don't exist, play any guitar long enough and you will discover something you would want to change or tweak. And I know a lot of guitarist that do not and will not shield their guitars. I watch a video on Stew Mac a few years ago on shielding, Dan Erlewine said he does not shield his personal guitars. I think Gibson makes some of the finest guitars in the world these days. But this is my opinion, and I'm far from an expert, on any subject.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

I have to agree with this.  I don't know what shielding paint looks like but I assume it is obvious.  None of my Custom Shop guitars have different looking paint in the control cavities.  Maybe some older ones do but not 2018, or as you note above in yours from other recent years.

The thing is that lots of people complain about the cost of Gibsons, but then list all the other things they want included.