Gibson Brands Forums

Shielding control cover?

Navy Vet.

1 minute ago, Navy Vet. said:

...And I know a lot of guitarist that do not and will not shield their guitars. I watch a video on Stew Mac a few years ago on shielding, Dan Erlewine said he does not shield his personal guitars...

Because out in the wilds of Guitar World where they are used, shielding is about the least of your worries.  All the shielding in the world doesn't help with most of the noise problems most guitar players have in most places.  Single coils make noise, period.  There are a plethora of really really good noiseless singles out there, including the dreaded P-90.  If you don't want noise in a bar or theater or flat bed truck, get some noiseless that you like and forget about it.

rct

9 minutes ago, rct said:

Because out in the wilds of Guitar World where they are used, shielding is about the least of your worries.  All the shielding in the world doesn't help with most of the noise problems most guitar players have in most places.  Single coils make noise, period.  There are a plethora of really really good noiseless singles out there, including the dreaded P-90.  If you don't want noise in a bar or theater or flat bed truck, get some noiseless that you like and forget about it.

rct

Funny story. 1969 I'm 15 years old, it's summer and I'm playing my 1966 Tele. The old man yells upstairs, "what in the hell is that noise?' I open the bedroom door and say, I'm playing my axe dad. He says, "sounds like a mule sucking on a stump," I said have you ever heard of Jimi Hendrix? He said yea, I know who he is and I think you should play over at his house and let his parents enjoy that noise. My old man didn't really know who Jimi Hendrix was.

2 hours ago, MADCLAPPER said:

U r the 2nd or 3rd person that thinks I am SumDum Jack, Wild Bill or some other name, ICR.....Lol,  I don't 'SNEAK' anywhere, for any reason. Nor do I need to change my attitude for you..... or any other judgemental D-Bag. This includes when I am at your Momma's house  gettin freeky. Insults are a two way street buddy. You wanna play Ziegumd/Anna Fraud and tell people what 'PLANE' you think someone else is on without knowing who, or what, you are referring to?  Your asking for it, so expect the same......or worse !

Off the meds AGAIN I see. As with your other several profiles, MADCLAP is on ignore and I will NOT see your breakdowns, so have at it Sparky. Just one more THING, don't claim to serve in Southwest Asia, most folks that actually did serve take offense. Bye bye Sparky.

Edited by Big Bill

2 hours ago, Navy Vet. said:

Funny story. 1969 I'm 15 years old, it's summer and I'm playing my 1966 Tele. The old man yells upstairs, "what in the hell is that noise?' I open the bedroom door and say, I'm playing my axe dad. He says, "sounds like a mule sucking on a stump," I said have you ever heard of Jimi Hendrix? He said yea, I know who he is and I think you should play over at his house and let his parents enjoy that noise. My old man didn't really know who Jimi Hendrix was.

lolz, good story!

Single mom raised all four of us in the 60's.  She liked the music my bands did, never complained that we rehearsed at our house, came out to see my bands many times.  My mom saw Dark Side of The Moon at Philly Spectrum, so I guess she was pretty cool.

rct

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mihcmac said:

The Les Paul Junior is an iconic design that has been in production for well over 60 years. Simplicity in form and function and gives you everything you need without going off the deep end. it seems that Gibson got it right the first time without being overdone. Its comfortable to play and its hot P90 combined with a solid metal wraparound bridge gives you tones that are unrivaled, enhanced by the mahogany construction. There is literally nothing like them. A lot of people have compared their guitars to machineguns, the Junior is a bazooka, can easily cut through and dance on top of most other guitars. The trick is controlling them, the question is, are you up to it.. [mellow]

Funny thing about this guitar. It was introduced in 1954, the year I was born, as a student guitar. I started guitar lessons in 1965, and I have played either a bass or guitar off and on ever since. I don’t consider this a beginners or student guitar by any stretch. You really have to have some years under your belt to play this pony.  But once you know how to dial it in,  its one hell of a guitar. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rct said:

lolz, good story!

Single mom raised all four of us in the 60's.  She liked the music my bands did, never complained that we rehearsed at our house, came out to see my bands many times.  My mom saw Dark Side of The Moon at Philly Spectrum, so I guess she was pretty cool.

rct

God bless your mom! Sounds like was way more than just cool. She is super cool! 

7 minutes ago, Navy Vet. said:

Funny thing about this guitar. It was introduced in 1954, the year I was born, as a student guitar. I started guitar lessons in 1965, and I have played either a bass or guitar off and on ever since. I don’t consider this a beginners or student guitar by any stretch. You really have to have some years under your belt to play this pony.  But once you know how to dial it in,  its one hell of a guitar. 

Christ yer old.

rct

• Upvote 1

Just now, rct said:

Christ yer old.

rct

Naw, I’m just hitting my prime. I saw The Who in Nashville this May accompanied by the Nashville Symphony. It was the best concert I ever saw. Daltrey is 75 and Townsend is 73, hell Zach Starkey is 54. 

9 hours ago, Navy Vet. said:

Naw, I’m just hitting my prime. I saw The Who in Nashville this May accompanied by the Nashville Symphony. It was the best concert I ever saw. Daltrey is 75 and Townsend is 73, hell Zach Starkey is 54. 

I started playing frat parties in 64, then 3 years later found myself living in Laurel Canyon surrounded by some amazing people and hoping their abilities would rub off. My first new decent guitar was a 63 Coronet with a P90 followed by a 64 with humbuckings. After suffering a mid life crisis at 30 and found I was really in my prime, the pattern seems to repeat every ten years, another decade is coming soon.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Upvote 1

On 7/23/2019 at 6:15 PM, Big Bill said:

Off the meds AGAIN I see. As with your other several profiles, MADCLAP is on ignore and I will NOT see your breakdowns, so have at it Sparky. Just one more THING, don't claim to serve in Southwest Asia, most folks that actually did serve take offense. Bye bye Sparky.

WTF? Serve ? Who? What ? Where? You acting as if you are the proprietor of the forums here is pretty funny ('Sneak one by..." PPPFFFF...). but telling people what to do is even funnier. LOL, and you think I have meds problems ? Too funny........So ask for it you did ya no playin' idiot, that apparently thinks you know something..........and btw...... **** YOU ! Sparky?

18 hours ago, MADCLAPPER said:

WTF? Serve ? Who? What ? Where? You acting as if you are the proprietor of the forums here is pretty funny ('Sneak one by..." PPPFFFF...). but telling people what to do is even funnier. LOL, and you think I have meds problems ? Too funny........So ask for it you did ya no playin' idiot, that apparently thinks you know something..........and btw...... **** YOU ! Sparky?

OK, I was wrong, this is WildBill212 - I don't think that there's any doubt. 

• Upvote 1