Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
QuestionMark

Name Origin

Recommended Posts

Thought it’d be a good time to share how some of us got the funny names we use on this forum.  

In my case, I started on the internet and this Gibson/Epiphone forum before all of the former forum got erased and started over in the mid-late 2000s.  Back in the early days of Internet forums, basically everyone use a handle or pseudonym name.  My original handle, thought up on the fly as I heard 96 Tears on the radio, was Question Mark & the Myaterians.  Later shortened to just Question Mark or QuestionMark.  That is the handle I posted under in the original Gibson/Epiphone forum.  When it was replaced by the new forum (the same one as now before its format was recently updated but it’s content remained unchanged) I kept the same QuestionMark name so that those on it would know my posts.  But, then I started thinking that some people will think my name is Mark (some even called me that) and, since when I performed I called myself “Jazzman” Jeff (and Jeff is my name), I should include a tag line when I post with that name since I didn’t want to disassociate with all the posts I did under Question Mark.  Although with most of the old forum’s posters no longer on the forum, I probably should have just changed my name and let go of the continuity of Question Mark on the forum.   Oh well.

Any stories about your forum names?

 

QM aka  “Jazzman” Jeff

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughters names are Kimberly and Sarah. In the late 90s I had a vanity plate with "K&S DAD". When I set up my first email address, I fumbled around with variations of that (something that would work for an email) and it morphed into KSDADDY.

ezlrfr.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

long story short... Kidblast is a nickname that came to be with some buddies I used to jam and play in bands with many moons ago,  it kinda stuck so I used it for forum handles and in RPG games like COD and stuff like that.

Edited by kidblast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the original Gibson Acoustic Forum that closed, (and every other forum I'm on) I'm Murphy Slaw.

Murphy Slaw came from a song I wrote in the 90's, and it appeared on the DOUBLE AUGHT debut cd recorded and released in 1998. The premise of the song is based on Murphy's Law. It's available on iTunes and Google play : ) ...

When the old forum closed and the predecessor of this forum opened, I logged in as Murph. I think it's because that's what people were calling me on that forum.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Merciful-Evan was another incarnation of me some 15 years ago.

I used the Songstuff forum for many years, but the reviews were fawning, hypocritical pap. I asked for a special 'by application only' area where honest 'give it to me both barrels' criticism was encouraged. I was denied. So I created a sock puppet called merciful-evans. ME would post deliberately dire lyrics in an attempt to challenge the mutual admiration society. At least that's the way it started...

After a short while, ME's lyrics came good. This was a an astonishing surprise to me. I was writing in a 'different' style entirely, changing from lyrics to poetry. It just made sense to continue to write this way all the time it was paying off. This carried on for about 4 years and ME garnered quite a few fans in that time. ME was another version of me who fully embraced his/my working class roots and even wrote a xmas song one year. Something I would never do as myself!

I also use the moniker ME on 2 other guitar forums. 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Merciful-Evan was another incarnation of me some 15 years ago.

I used the Songstuff forum for many years, but the reviews were fawning, hypocritical pap. I asked for a special 'by application only' area where honest 'give it to me both barrels' criticism was encouraged. I was denied. So I created a sock puppet called merciful-evans. ME would post deliberately dire lyrics in an attempt to challenge the mutual admiration society. At least that's the way it started...

After a short while, ME's lyrics came good. This was a an astonishing surprise to me. I was writing in a 'different' style entirely, changing from lyrics to poetry. It just made sense to continue to write this way all the time it was paying off. This carried on for about 4 years and ME garnered quite a few fans in that time. ME was another version of me who fully embraced his/my working class roots and even wrote a xmas song one year. Something I would never do as myself!

I also use the moniker ME on 2 other guitar forums. 

 

 

 

Cool story

9 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

My daughters names are Kimberly and Sarah. In the late 90s I had a vanity plate with "K&S DAD". When I set up my first email address, I fumbled around with variations of that (something that would work for an email) and it morphed into KSDADDY.

ezlrfr.jpg

KS Daddy has some swagger 🙂

Edited by billroy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I was given the name BluesKing777 because when younger, I played Slide Bouzouki in a country music band at Vegas. One night while feeling a bit bored, I thought I would try some minor pentatonic scales that I had been experimenting with, and in a group of people talking at the bar in the casino after, a pretty girl said loudly to me while I was playing the pokies: "Hey, you the Blues King and you have a 777!" 😎😎😎

My first Gibson acoustic:

 

o5z8Lb9h.jpg

 

 

BluesKing777.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Splendid thread idea ^ like the chord, it's expressive and strong, holds drama and bass - nothing else

 

Look forward to hear some stories. flatbarogue fx - guess not bein' English/American embarrassingly kept me from gettin' the point.
And wonder - is Rambler really rambling, is MissouriPicker picking in Missouri, is OldCowboy an old farm-fence cowboy, does seamonkey post from a remote island. Did Jumboluther mean Jumboluthier.  

And how about good gotomsdos, , , did he finally go to msdos after finding that magnificent J-45 - for never to return. 

Edited by E-minor7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

My story is pretty complicated.  I'm from Missouri and I fingerpick guitar.

Mine, too. Im a Lead player and I use a flatpick. Lately Ive been using a beveled flatpick so I think I may change my name to “TheLeadBeveledpick” to be a little more accurate. Just for clarity, I am not a flatpick, in case anyone was wondering(shocker😬😂)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first name is Lars and I was born in 68. 

Boring and uncool, but hey, that's me 😀

 

Edited by Lars68

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A truly good nickname/handle is one that you do not give yourself but which has been bestowed by another which generally relates to some quirk or trait..   My handle is the actually the name I gave a street dog who adopted me.   The only nickname  I ever really had was given me in the 1990s which is "Lung."  Came about as I was ready to leave work in Mississippi and we were all hanging around outside.  One of my pals remarked how much I resembled the character on the cover of the Aqualung LP.   The following morning everybody greeted me with the shortened version.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My nickname in HS was Gumby.  One of the guys on the baseball team named me that because he said I ran like Gumby.  Funny thing was I was still faster than most 😉  When I played my first fantasy league baseball season in 1994, I was a big fan of the movie The Sandlot.  The Great Bambino is a central figure of the movie, so I combined the two for my team name = TheGreatGumbinos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i used FemmeParallell several years ago while i was learning French, its a song name by Thievery Corporation i liked a lot, one day i was creating an account for a social media and i didnt know what to use, and i had that song stuck on repeat on my head so i stated using it, that and im a lady

 

Edited by FemmeParallell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m Tirman, thought I’d claim a bit of anonymity by dropping the ir and making it generic.

btw if you know one, we are related.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 4:36 PM, QuestionMark said:

Thought it’d be a good time to share how some of us got the funny names we use on this forum.  

 

My mother gave me my "funny name", never felt the need to show how clever I am by inventing another one. 😁 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My name is an anagram. Researching my grandfather's work at Gibson lead me to this forum where I found some fantastic posts and people, so I joined up.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SirNed said:

My name is an anagram. Researching my grandfather's work at Gibson lead me to this forum where I found some fantastic posts and people, so I joined up.

Maybe it should be mentioned that your grandfather was Hartford Snider. None other than the artist who created the Hummingbird and the Dove pickguard. 
A person mentioned many times here before you joined up - without anyone bein' sure if he was a myth, , , if the story was hocus-pocus.  
Your appearance which confirmed it all with pics and tales was an incident in the precious category Board-magik. Not many would deny that. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SirNed said:

My name is an anagram. . .

Ah, yes- Mr. Snider. . . didn't see that one coming. Here I was, thinking you'd been bestowed a knighthood, and all.

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Maybe it should be mentioned that your grandfather was Hartford Snider. None other than the artist who created the Hummingbird and the Dove pickguard. 
A person mentioned many times here before you joined up - without anyone bein' sure if he was a myth, , , if the story was hocus-pocus.  
Your appearance which confirmed it all with pics and tales was an incident in the precious category Board-magik. Not many would deny that. 

Good not to let that info get covered over by the passage of time- 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, indeed. You guys and your posted comments and inquiries are what kept the history alive. I greatly appreciate it, and I know he would, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...