Gibson Brands Forums

Name Origin

QuestionMark

Though I rarely post on this forum, anymore.  And don't play much anymore. I decided to share this one. People think my name comes from my true passion, bicycling. But, it doesn't. When I was working a four to midnight tour at a job I hated (did a 33 year sentence). I would get home and to unwind, I would get in my '63 Volvo and do what I called "bashing gears". The guys at work knew about this and would ask if I did any "gearbashing" the night before.

While in Bethlehem, PA where we had travelled for a wedding, my wife and I were hanging out downtown with some friends. One of them pointed out a storefront to me that we both got a kick out of. The name of the place was Guth’s — I think it was something like a clothing store, shoe store, etc.. The reason it struck us a funny is because my last name is Guthrie and to us Guth’s sounded like just the right name for me and my tavern were I ever to own one. “Hey Guth, set me up with another...”

While Guth’s Corner Tap never came to be, I hung on to the handle and have been using it online, here and elsewhere, for longer than I can remember.

spent the week up north with the family on vacation.  no internet so lots of things got talked about, and they got to talking about name options for me...  maybe a bit of a tangent, but kind of a fun story so thought I'd share.

I am billroy through and through - bill roy, guy w/ 2 first names, always referred to as billroy from grade school on.  Anyways, and maybe a little TMI but my real name is Wilfred Fredrick Thomas Roy IV.   My first kid thinks I should be called 'beet juice billy', because I drank a beet juice smoothy once, my second kid says 'bilfred' because I'm billroy, but have quite a few freds in my name, and my wife thinks it should be 'fred fred' because it is also my name.  My oldest just calls me #4.  Uncle fester seems to be appropriate as well due to resemblances )...  but mostly I like to be called mr roy, or superman, either is good. 

but really I am billroy.