Gibson Brands Forums

Any of you ever think it's enough?

Thundergod

I know some of you have one guitar one amp and dont want anything else... some have more than 1 guitar, just one amp and arent interested in nything else. Some have 1 guitar and more than 1 amp... and dont care to look for anything else.

But some of you have more than 1 guitar and more than 1 amp and are allways looking for more... you ever think it's enough?

I did w ahile ago, and time proved me wrong... but right now (with 1 new guitar still in the box and 1 amp comming) I kind of think it is enough and dont really find me looking forward to it comming, or wanting to go visit stores to see what's new... It's like I dont care anymore...

You think that means I have found peace?

Or maybe it's because I dont have time to play them anymore as I used to? (I have 1 guitar in the box, took it out, didnt even take pics, and put her inside again), another 3 on their cases... 2 I haven't played more than twice... and the other I havent played in more than a year. I only use my ash tele and my standard faded now and hardly 2-4 hours a week between the two of them...

You think it means I shouldnt have some of them?

Thundergod better and new stuff are being invented right now as we post...and well eveyrone has urges.

But if your happy well man i think you find your peace.

That's the point... I dont really feel happy... (but maybe that's got more to do with the fact that I dont get to play them as much as I'd like to).

I know lots of "better" stuff are being invented as we speak... but guys still go on about how vintage marshall vox fender gibson and others are the real thing and better, so I stopped caring about "better" "newer" and "fancier" a while ago... now I care only about what I like.

And still dont feel happy...

That's the point... I dont really feel happy... (but maybe that's got more to do with the fact that I dont get to play them as much as I'd like to).

I know lots of "better" stuff are being invented as we speak... but guys still go on about how vintage marshall vox fender gibson and others are the real thing and better' date=' so I stopped caring about "better" "newer" and "fancier" a while ago... now I care only about what I like.

And still dont feel happy...[/quote']

Mabye you lost you love for guitar playing ive seen it happen. It is a very sad thing but lets not get to the hole "I dont love guitars anymore" idea.

Damn man... you really seen that? I hope it never gets to that for me... really.

Happens you know durning the age of 10-20. I hope it doesnt happen to me either i mean i love guitar it make me feel like im doing something with my life besides getting in trouble. I read about this dude that quit, he owned one of the first B.C. rich guitars and its worth alot its practical a vintage and he sold it for 2 grand...

Hey T-God, you can always send 'em my way, I guaran-goddam-tee they'll get used. Just kidding dude, your in a rut. Everyone gets there sometimes, I know I've been there a few times, just got disgusted, said "F@CK IT!", and got rid of everything, guitars, amps, stomps, everything. But I always come back, cuz it's what I dig, I dig my guitar/s more than fishing, and that's saying something for me, cuz I really dig fishing, been fishing since I was 4 years old, and I'm 49 now, with no end in sight, as long as my arm/neck/shoulder/back hold out, which by the way I go for surgery March 17 to hopefully fix, cuz right now I'm only good playing for about 10 minutes at a whack 'til it gets too painful, but you know what? I STILL love it, and I always will!! So hang in there Buster, better times are coming. Don't throw in the towel yet.

I know some of you have one guitar one amp and dont want anything else... some have more than 1 guitar' date=' just one amp and arent interested in nything else. Some have 1 guitar and more than 1 amp... and dont care to look for anything else.

But some of you have more than 1 guitar and more than 1 amp and are allways looking for more... you ever think it's enough?

I did w ahile ago, and time proved me wrong... but right now (with 1 new guitar still in the box and 1 amp comming) I kind of think it is enough and dont really find me looking forward to it comming, or wanting to go visit stores to see what's new... It's like I dont care anymore...

Or maybe it's because I dont have time to play them anymore as I used to? (I have 1 guitar in the box, took it out, didnt even take pics, and put her inside again), another 3 on their cases... 2 I haven't played more than twice... and the other I havent played in more than a year. I only use my ash tele and my standard faded now and hardly 2-4 hours a week between the two of them...

You think it means I shouldnt have some of them?[/quote']

"You think that means I have found peace?" or perhaps you are searching for peace?

Thundergod, you're just in a slump. I have them all the time. I don't know how many guitars I have here and don't really care. If the economy were better I'd be doing a lot more trafficking but for now they can just sit idle if they're not the Guitar of the Day.

You will find that during times like these, ONE of your guitars will stand out, and it won't necessarily be the hotsh1t $5000 one signed by Jesus himself, it might be an old Sears Silvertone. Don't fight it, just go with it. I have 6 or 7 Gibson acoustics and during times like this I might find myself on the couch with a $100 Seagull.

This too shall pass, and the fire will rekindle.

I think enough for me will be 5 guitars and one amp: a Marshall DSL-100 half stack, a Les Paul (check) an SG (half-check?) a Strat and a Tele, and a nice acoustic. If I can afford to keep buying guitars and amps after that I will. If I can't, I'll be happy. Hell, I'm happy now. I'll just be happier. (At least, that's what my consumeristic guitar addiction voices tell me.)

There's always something else that I want but not much more that I need. The only piece of gear that I feel I need right now is a good inline tuner (probably a Peterson Strobostomp) so I can tune in silence and switch guitars without having to turn the amp down. I've got a hankering for an acoustic guitar though which, surprisingly, I don't own a single one. I have 12 guitars and 5 amps and regularly play three guitars and two amps; granted some of that gear is just old stuff that was never that great to begin with and I should probably get rid of some of it but I just can't seem to part with any of it.

And still dont feel happy...

You need to be inspired. Go see your favorite guitar players...which in your case are the Jonas brothers. They should get you back into playing again.

You need to be inspired. Go see your favorite guitar players...which in your case are the Jonas brothers. They should get you back into playing again.

Maybe that's the reason... I feel like I've overdone my idols... (not hard to do.. not at all)

I know lots of "better" stuff are being invented as we speak... but guys still go on about how vintage marshall vox fender gibson and others are the real thing and better' date=' so I stopped caring about "better" "newer" and "fancier" a while ago... now I care only about what I like.

I had a phase like that in my early 30's. I didn't hang with musician's much or visit the guitar shops like before. I just played when I felt like playing, but it wasn't as often as before. I spent my time doing other activities (women, fishing, camping, sports, photography, sleeping, etc...). I actually caught up on a lot of things I always wanted to do and had never done. I called it my mid-life crisis. After a while I got HUNGRY for guitar playing, new equipment, writing music, and being in the environment again. It will pass. Do what feels right to you.

quote]

I think that maybe you need to take a vacation from playing for awhile. After a few weeks, you will be chomping at the bit to play and aquire. Remember, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Or in our case, meaning we're all guitar junkies, we will go into withdrawl. We all have big expensive monkeys on our backs.

I share your feelings.

Is it ever enough?

Unfortunately never.

Here is what I have.

Guitars:

*Gibson ES335

*Gibson LP faded

*Gibson SG '61 RI

* Gibson Firebird V

* Fender SRV Strat

* Fender EC Strat

* Rickenbacker 360/12

* Takamine 12-String

* Ibanez 29 year old Martin knock-off

Amps:

*Lonestar Special

*Blues Jr. Limited Edition

*Fender Champ 12

*Trace Elliot Acoustic Amp (Discontinued)

Effects:

Abut $ 1200 worth

Now do I need more? No. But I'd like more.

Not guitars but for my purpose as I do not play in bands no more, jam once a year

only with buddies and their band and just wanking away the rest of the year at least

8 hours a week, I'd like one more amp : the Suhr Badger 30. The power scaling it has

will let me play at a lower volume in my home with still great tone.

The Blues Jr. is loud, and even on 5 watts the Lonestar Special is still loud.

And we all know for max tone you gotta crank it.

So there I am: GAS never ends.

And sometimes I do feel guilty having so much gear.

However all those guitars get played and every time I pick up a different one it makes me

feel great 'cause they all have a different character.

And that's why I have them. Or do they have me?

Archived