Gibson Brands Forums

Any of you ever think it's enough?

Thundergod

I hardly ever get a serious case of G.A.S.

I've got a great acoustic and a great electric, don't ever really have GAS over guitars anymore. I mean there are some that I'd definitely take, but I don't feel I NEED them.

As far as amps go, I've got a 2 watt 80 dollar amp. I don't like it much, It's okay when i need to play silently with headphones or something but even then the sound quality is lacking in areas. I would like to get a good vintage bassman or v4, but I'm not in too much of a hurry right now.

I would like a bass... but that's nowhere near the GAS point yet.

Thunder..

If it's a musical funk. It'll pass.

If it's a gear funk, you may be there. I'm almost there. I don't care to play another electric since getting the 339. I like an SG around, and actually owe my '79 to my oldest son when he stops traveling, so might get a new one.

Amp wise, the Boogie is IT. I'm a spare freak, so might get a Lone Star Special.

Maybe a 335.

It's a good thing.....

Murph

I don't see anything wrong with owning as many different guitar as you can in your lifetime. You only have one life, it's not like you can decide to have a Rickenbacker next time around.

As for your "slump", Thundergod, if your a little tired of the guitar, but not music, learn different instrument, it'll help your playing in surprising ways. If yuor a little tired of music all together, take up Photography or Scetching or some other art that will stimulate the creative side of your brain, it's just bored. Maybe even writing or acting, if you have a local performing arts troupe.

I for one have found that "stuff" just doesn't satisfy. I always want more or something with a different sound sooner or later. The more you have, the more you want seems to happen far too often and I suppose someone came up with the saying "less is more."

Owning more guitars and music is not what gives me peace.

When I was a kid up into my 30s, I kept swapping guitars and even amps and such.

Frankly I learned never to swap or sell unless it's a defective piece or I'm starving. I regret more than a few swaps.

I have more than two guitars <grin> but two amps. Just one multi-effects box but I'm considering getting another.

Had I the cash, I'd like... A new ES175, four or five stomp boxes I've seen, a Boss RT-20 box to get a Leslie sound (I traded my old Fender Leslie for a keyboard 30 years ago 'cuz it was way too heavy), a super-light PA (yeah, right), a super-fancy ES335 (perhaps not, maybe a 339 or, heck, if I were rich, both), a good old Gretch thinbody like I stupidly swapped 35 years ago to do some Chet stuff, a Dove for acoustic stuff, a good short-scale bass and amp that works with it well, a D-35 just to say I own one, a small-body Gibbie acoustic, a Deluxe Reverb like I bought in '66 and swapped for a twin 12 tube jobbie that isn't even manufactured any more... a Ramirez classical box, probably a cutaway electric acoustic classical, and hell, a heated and air conditioned trailer or bus and wheeled jobbies to haul all the crud to a gig I could probably do better with one amp and one guitar and a cupla stomps...

Or... heck, how about a custom ES175 clone with a toilet paper dispenser on the back. I dunno.

The bottom line is that the single guitar player who picks a lot and wants to improve, can - but in the context of that specific intrument's qualities. To me that's about the best reason at least one each of the basics: A classical electric-acoustic, a bluegrassy-folkie big body steel string electric-acoustic, a jazz box, a semi hollow, a six-string board, an electric bass and a 12-string acoustic that's capable of being electrified with a magnetic as well as piezo.

The multiple guitar owner-player likely will pick up somewhat different technique on a different type of instrument that may then provide a different perspective that could transfer to all of his instruments. In short, although one may have bought extra boxes for the sound, looks or whatever, they may best function as a technical learning experience.

Amps and stomp boxes? Given the combinations of sound vs. weight and such, I can't imagine ever being happy with what I've got. Satisfied with quality of the piece for what it is? Yup. but not for offering everything in one package as a lot of guitars may offer even the one-guitar guy in his own head.

BTW, if I had to own only one guitar? ES175 without any second thoughts. Only one amp? Probably that old Deluxe Reverb with a stomp or two.

So...

It'll pass Thunder.

Go on a playing vacation for one or two weeks and I'll bet after a couple of days you'll be jonesin' hard for a guitar. Maybe go spend some time in Costa Rica on the beach with a few surf chicks and some cold beer. That would certainly inspire me.

Basically, I believe that GAS in general just has to be fulfilled. In my case I had an instant case of GAS and acted on it. Thus resulting in my first Gibson. Now I'm gassing for a Standard Faded and I'll probably fulfill that need before long.

Of course I'm aware that within an unknown amount of time the excitement of playing my GAS-related purchase(s) won't be the same as when I first brought them home.

But for me, when the "new guitar-smell" wears off (if you know what I mean) and the guitar doesn't get as much playtime as before, and I, in a moment of inspiration, pick it up again and remember the feeling of GAS fulfilled, it makes it all worth it once again. Just that little taste of how it felt when I wanted it SO bad. And got it. Same feeling I get when I take my Harley on the streets after a long cold winter.

Well, my opinion on your question; I think maybe you've OD'ed. If you don't get that "I just gotta have it"-feeling anymore then stop buying stuff for yourself until the feeling returns.

If you still get that feeling and can afford it in a somewhat responsible way (=P~ did I say responsible???), I can't see anything wrong with it. Put your non-interesting purchases aside and return to them when you remember why you bought 'em. Maybe bad and expensive advice but that's what I'd do if I could affort it.

Hope I made some kind of sense... =P~

I had a phase like that in my early 30's. I didn't hang with musician's much or visit the guitar shops like before. I just played when I felt like playing' date=' but it wasn't as often as before. I spent my time doing other activities (women, fishing, camping, sports, photography, sleeping, etc...). I actually caught up on a lot of things I always wanted to do and had never done. I called it my mid-life crisis. After a while I got HUNGRY for guitar playing, new equipment, writing music, and being in the environment again. It will pass. Do what feels right to you.[/quote']

+1 I've gone through times like those too. I quit all of my hobbies (including guitar) for golf & women. Now life has gotten me back into guitar. I've found that if I'm not happy, it can often make for good writing. If you can't write a good blues song now, you probably should reaquaint yourself with some of your old interests, or find a new hobby. Your music will come and find you when it's time.

Meanwhile, hide all of the sharp objects in your house. LOL

As for if when is enough. I have yet to reach that capacity. I will know when the time comes. I still want a tube amp for Reese, a bass amp for Reese, a wah pedal, possibly something with P90s, a strat, etc.. I am not acting on ANY of this because I am currently not getting paid - health problem. When I get better and can return to work, I'll have a stack of bills a mile high to pay first.

But I still do WANT to indulge my GAS.

SLS

Archived