Gibson Brands Forums

film on pickguard EJ200SCE?

TomScot

This might sound like a dumb or naive question, but I wanted to remove the two stickers on the pickguard that came with my new EJ200, which I did, but it has left the pickguard looking like this in the photo.   Now it looks like this is a thin plastic film that has been lifted and bubbled, but I cannot see an edge around the guard to lift it off and don't want to damage the guitar by blinding stabbing the edge with a knife.  I cannot find any info on whether it is a film that can be removed, or is a top coating on the guard itslef that is peeling away?

epiphone.jpg

Edited by TomScot
clarification

That to me looks like a thin film of new guitar protective plastic film covering of the pickguard of which the stickers were attached also, so as to not be directly attached to the pick-guard.  Why not just start peeling the plastic off with your fingernails from where it’s already a bit opened...I can’t imagine any knife that could scratch the actual pick-guard would be needed to do that.  If it tore that easy from removing the stickers it can’t be part of the pick-guard as the pick-guard needs to be a material that can handle heavy abuse from strumming with a pick, and would not be something that easily tears like the photo shows when stickers were removed.  

However,  my suggestion is if you are really worried that it’s not just a new guitar protective plastic film over the pick-guard, simply call Epiphone’s Customer Service in Nashville to double check.

Hope this helps.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1