Gibson Brands Forums

Capo wear - something to be concerned with?

uncle fester

Hi all - trying to at least get close to singing in key, I've started to use a capo a bit.  I just use a $14 Keyser and do not have any complaints - but I got my Guild used with what I believe to be capo wear spots on the neck at the 1st/2nd/5th frets...  So before I cause issues with the J45 - do I need to be concerned with the capo wearing spots on my guitar neck, and is that justification for one of those hi $$ ones?

Thanks all for any input - rgds - billroy

Edited by billroy

nah..  should not cause any issues to the back of the neck,  the only thing over time that will be noticeable is more fret wear in places that normally wouldn't have any, or much but there's not any getting around that,  it will still be years before you'd need to worry about getting the frets re-crowned.

I have a bunch of kysers, they work fine.

I also really like Gth7 (I have a Newport for my 12 string, works really good) as well as Thaila.  (Have a few of those)  Neither of these clamp down as hard as the Kyser, and the Thalia has string pads to match neck radius of many different brands which will improve intonation when using them.

if you really want to nutty get a drop D capo, and a short cut capo.    You can do "stuff" with those bad boys that will keep you busy for days.

2 hours ago, blindboygrunt said:

Stop reading internet 

but how will I interact with my girlfriend, dragonslayer784 (sent from mom's basement)

42 minutes ago, kidblast said:

if you really want to nutty get a drop D capo, and a short cut capo.    You can do "stuff" with those bad boys that will keep you busy for days.

i've got a lot of honing of the easy stuff to accomplish before i'm ready to start adding bells and whistles, but how about a sample of one of the fancy capo settings?

I use Kyser capos.  Never hurt my guitars.  Easy to clip on the headstock when one is playing and not using it until one needs it for a song.  Players in my neck of the woods in the Midwest mostly all seem to use them and treat them like they’re the normal capo to use with a guitar.  

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

14 hours ago, billroy said:

i've got a lot of honing of the easy stuff to accomplish before i'm ready to start adding bells and whistles, but how about a sample of one of the fancy capo settings?

Not really bells and whistley,,  just different tuning via the capo.

The easier of all is probably a  Drop D capo.  This enables drop D tuning without the need to change any of your chord fingerings.  If you have ever tried Drop D, you will know that any chords played that include the E string, you need to move the base note up a whole step.  The Drop D capo gives you that, but you don't have to change how you'll play something like a G chord.

If you combine the drop D capo with a standard capo (eg: Standard capo a step behind the drop D) you can have drop d tuning in almost any key. 

Kidblast, the drop D capo sounds interesting. Would that be the same then as a “five string capo” placed two frets above the nut, or above a normal capo, given standard tuning?

Something like this? https://www.bax-shop.se/capo/shubb-c8b-partiell-5-strangs-capo?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxbiDmPLP4wIVBdiyCh3SwAYuEAkYAiABEgLFRPD_BwE

If so, I think I'll just go a grab my metal saw to shorten my spare Victor capo. Any reason that would not work?

This is the one: https://www.bax-shop.se/capo/dunlop-dcv50c-victor-capo-till-western-och-elgitarr?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIorr6x_PP4wIVg9GyCh1VWw0TEAQYBCABEgIJG_D_BwE

Lars

Edited by Lars68

1 hour ago, Lars68 said:

Kidblast, the drop D capo sounds interesting. Would that be the same then as a “five string capo” placed two frets above the nut, or above a normal capo, given standard tuning?

Something like this? https://www.bax-shop.se/capo/shubb-c8b-partiell-5-strangs-capo?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxbiDmPLP4wIVBdiyCh3SwAYuEAkYAiABEgLFRPD_BwE

If so, I think I'll just go a grab my metal saw to shorten my spare Victor capo. Any reason that would not work?

This is the one: https://www.bax-shop.se/capo/dunlop-dcv50c-victor-capo-till-western-och-elgitarr?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIorr6x_PP4wIVg9GyCh1VWw0TEAQYBCABEgIJG_D_BwE

Lars

yea I guess that would be the same as the "Drop D",  for your capo, not sure you need to shorten it but that would work,  you may be able to just remove some of the string pad? 

this is the exact same one I've been using -> https://www.amazon.com/Kyser-Drop-Partial-Capo-Black/dp/B001W9AXBO  affordable, and works great.

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

yea I guess that would be the same as the "Drop D",  for your capo, not sure you need to shorten it but that would work,  you may be able to just remove some of the string pad? 

this is the exact same one I've been using -> https://www.amazon.com/Kyser-Drop-Partial-Capo-Black/dp/B001W9AXBO  affordable, and works great.

Thanks! I'll try to remove the outer part of the pad. That ought to work.

Lars

2 minutes ago, Lars68 said:

Thanks! I'll try to remove the outer part of the pad. That ought to work.

Lars

yep,, it should,, some times ppl just use a standard capo  but set it on the neck from the treble side, and adjust it so that the low E isn't touched.  Depends I guess on the capo..  a keyser will allow it.

Edited by kidblast

My grandmother always had a Kyser capo on the headstock of her guitar and always used it when playing in any key besides G or C. After doing that for over 30 years she passed that guitar on to my oldest sister. That guitar has lots of indentations on the back of the headstock and dents on the back of the neck, all caused by the capo. As it turns out, the rubber piece on the capo that goes on the back on the neck was ripped, and it was sliding forward causing the metal to hit the guitar instead of the rubber, so watch your capos. I use paige capos now, Id use an Elliot or a G7th heritage, but they cost more than 20 bucks, so Ill stick to Paiges until I find an issue with them

21 hours ago, kidblast said:

nah..  should not cause any issues to the back of the neck,  the only thing over time that will be noticeable is more fret wear in places that normally wouldn't have any, or much but there's not any getting around that,  it will still be years before you'd need to worry about getting the frets re-crowned.

I have a bunch of kysers, they work fine.

I also really like Gth7 (I have a Newport for my 12 string, works really good) as well as Thaila.  (Have a few of those)  Neither of these clamp down as hard as the Kyser, and the Thalia has string pads to match neck radius of many different brands which will improve intonation when using them.

I do a couple tunes that COULD use a partial capo with drop D , but I just clamp the shubb on with the low E left untouched.  Works fine 

On 7/25/2019 at 1:23 AM, billroy said:

Hi all - trying to at least get close to singing in key, I've started to use a capo a bit.  I just use a $14 Keyser and do not have any complaints - but I got my Guild used with what I believe to be capo wear spots on the neck at the 1st/2nd/5th frets...  So before I cause issues with the J45 - do I need to be concerned with the capo wearing spots on my guitar neck, and is that justification for one of those hi $$ ones?

For the Kyser capo users, here is a clip with Tommy Enmanuel giving some Kyser capo tips!

Now the wear...

It all depends on usage and how much you use a capo.

I have a guitar or 2 with capo damage on the back and I think: 'What were they doing to put a hole in the back of a guitar with a capo?'...not much common sense mainly.

I can't find photos with the holes from capos, but look at the wear on the back of the neck of this 1949 J45:

http://www.folkwaymusic.com/vintage-instruments/gibson-guitars/1949-gibson-j45-0219/

BluesKing777.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

For the Kyser capo users, here is a clip with Tommy Enmanuel giving some Kyser capo tips!

Now the wear...

It all depends on usage and how much you use a capo.

I have a guitar or 2 with capo damage on the back and I think: 'What were they doing to put a hole in the back of a guitar with a capo?'...not much common sense mainly.

I can't find photos with the holes from capos, but look at the wear on the back of the neck of this 1949 J45:

http://www.folkwaymusic.com/vintage-instruments/gibson-guitars/1949-gibson-j45-0219/

BluesKing777.

Thanks BK - nice clips.  Tommy E!

18 hours ago, blindboygrunt said:

I do a couple tunes that COULD use a partial capo with drop D , but I just clamp the shubb on with the low E left untouched.  Works fine 

yep .. that works for sure BBG.  

A few tunes I do with a standard (all 6 strings) and a partial combo a a whole step apart.

Kyesers are good for this, they're light and go on/off quick.

On 7/24/2019 at 4:23 PM, billroy said:

I use a Shugg capo . They are soft rubber and have adjustable tension