Gibson Brands Forums

Dunlop - Authentic Hendrix '69 Psych Series Pedals

Rabs

Thankyou Brian.  Lose the beard huh?

"Authentic" - what? 

Hendrix used a Schaller Univibe, a  Fuzzface and wah modded by Roger Mayer who also made the Octavia.

No doubt if he had lived he would have endorsed signature effects and guitars like everyone else. 

However "Authentic Hendrix" is just a brand name conjured up by his half-sister and it's stretching it more than a bit to apply it to these pedals, however they sound. IMO.

I was a no.1 Hendrix fan and when he slipped away on Sept 18th 1970 - near 49 years ago - it broke my guitar-lovin' teenage heart.  I still have the albums of course, and on CD as well, and it is generally agreed that "Are You Experienced " is both one of the top rock records of all time to this day, and one of the most extraordinary debut albums ever.

No-one could have imagined or invented Jimi Hendrix.  As he recedes from us in time he becomes more iconic, almost unbelievable, superhuman - how could such a person have existed and made such a huge impact in four short years?   By now his image is a brand, a cliche ( the 'guitar arsonist') wheeled out to summon the spirit of....whatever is being marketed at the moment.   Get on the gravy train.  I also say that Fender never acknowledged that Hendrix was responsible for more Strats being sold than anyone else, for decades. 

Posthumously (as we all know) he has been treated incredibly badly and disrespectfully.   The last time I got angry about it was when Tappy Wright (an ex-Animals roadie and Mike Jeffery toadie) wrote - and got published  - a book claiming that Hendrix was murdered on the orders of Jeffery.    It didn't matter as it was so long after his death and so obviously complete garbage purely intended to help shift his rotten book - and Wright is now dead too.  But it was nasty, dishonest, simply untrue and showed how low people will go to ride on the back of his reputation.

I'm sure they are good pedals but...ffs....[sad]   "Authentic"?  Not so.

Edited by jdgm
  • Upvote 1

Yeah.. It is annoying and wrong.

I have to wonder how much of all this is actually down to Janie.... You would imagine Fender to be the first to offer a signature guitar...  Maybe she wont let them or wants too much for it...  Donno.

I'm just carping on really.....there have been many pedals which have been named after a Hendrix song or similar:

Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe (and any other pedal with 'Voodoo' in the name)

FoxRox Captain Coconut.  Prescription Electronics Experience.  Fulltone "69 Slight Return".   Guild Foxey Lady.  Etc etc.

But these (and a previous run of Dunlop pedals)  have his image on.  Slightly different IMO. 

And yes, use of that image is all "down to Janie".   At one stage the Experience Hendrix website was selling golf umbrellas and poker chips with his image on.

Regardless of the association with Janie, these certainly never had a chance to be “authentic”

Not only has Dunlop ALWAYS failed at this, but the enclosure size alone does not even allow for an accurate clone of any of these circuits being referenced

For me this type of stuff is basically laughable and certainly not worth looking into, but it would be nice if somebody was able to make great music with these anyway

Ever notice that web sites like CNN and Fox News always find uses for the word "Shocking" in their head lines,

But if you bite the bait on the hook, and click there,  there's really nothing shocking going on at all.

yea..  This is like that...

On 7/24/2019 at 3:58 PM, jdgm said:

"Authentic" - what? 

Hendrix used a Schaller Univibe, a  Fuzzface and wah modded by Roger Mayer who also made the Octavia.

No doubt if he had lived he would have endorsed signature effects and guitars like everyone else. 

However "Authentic Hendrix" is just a brand name conjured up by his half-sister and it's stretching it more than a bit to apply it to these pedals, however they sound. IMO.

I was a no.1 Hendrix fan and when he slipped away on Sept 18th 1970 - near 49 years ago - it broke my guitar-lovin' teenage heart.  I still have the albums of course, and on CD as well, and it is generally agreed that "Are You Experienced " is both one of the top rock records of all time to this day, and one of the most extraordinary debut albums ever.

No-one could have imagined or invented Jimi Hendrix.  As he recedes from us in time he becomes more iconic, almost unbelievable, superhuman - how could such a person have existed and made such a huge impact in four short years?   By now his image is a brand, a cliche ( the 'guitar arsonist') wheeled out to summon the spirit of....whatever is being marketed at the moment.   Get on the gravy train.  I also say that Fender never acknowledged that Hendrix was responsible for more Strats being sold than anyone else, for decades. 

Posthumously (as we all know) he has been treated incredibly badly and disrespectfully.   The last time I got angry about it was when Tappy Wright (an ex-Animals roadie and Mike Jeffery toadie) wrote - and got published  - a book claiming that Hendrix was murdered on the orders of Jeffery.    It didn't matter as it was so long after his death and so obviously complete garbage purely intended to help shift his rotten book - and Wright is now dead too.  But it was nasty, dishonest, simply untrue and showed how low people will go to ride on the back of his reputation.

Really great , and accurate in my opinion, post jdgm. You.ve thought about this. 

On 7/24/2019 at 6:58 PM, jdgm said:

"Authentic" - what? 

I couldn't agree more.