Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
MikeCT

TUSQ bridge pins?

Recommended Posts

I have recently really gotten into the TUSQ picks and ordered a set of bridge pins for both my J45 and Hummingbird but have gotten cold feet about replacing the stock plastic pins.

Do people usually swap out the stock pins and does it alter in any way what each guitar is known for sounding like?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah not much. Some hear it and some don't. Just make sure you don't force them if they don't fit (use a little sandpaper and modify the pin not the hole [sorry if you already knew that]). Easily reversed if you don't like them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Way to go - why not experiment and judge yourself.  

Personally I fine-adjust the overall voice'n'balance with pins. Typically using harder material behind the bass strings and fx plast or more often wood for the highs. Sometimes also if the G-string is too present. Not so long ago I even introduced brass for low strings on a number of acoustics. Would never have thought it - now I don't intend to change.

Some are sensitive to these nuances - others hear no difference at all.  Ears'm'minds are highly individual - luckily. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. It will make a difference if you really believe.
2. Be sure to use fossilized whale penis. It's much better for the sound.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Way to go - why not experiment and judge yourself.  

Personally I fine-adjust the overall voice'n'balance with pins. Typically using harder material behind the bass strings and fx plast or more often wood for the highs. Sometimes also if the G-string is too present. Not so long ago I even introduced brass for low strings on a number of acoustics. Would never have thought it - now I don't intend to change.

Some are sensitive to these nuances - others hear no difference at all.  Ears'm'minds are highly individual - luckily. 

Hey E - just making sure I'm following your line of reasoning

  • * Harder material behind bass (bone even brass): To make more present(?)
  • *Softer (plastic / wood) for highs: this would be to tame them, make them less present

Am I following correctly - thank you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, billroy said:

Hey E - just making sure I'm following your line of reasoning

  • * Harder material behind bass (bone even brass): To make more present(?)
  • *Softer (plastic / wood) for highs: this would be to tame them, make them less present

Am I following correctly - thank you.

 

Yes, exactly ^ logic bein' that the denser material the easier/better vibe-transmission - softer like spruce or rosewood meaning increased 'stop-force'.                                                                                        Some willingly to go as far as saying plast = more glaze.


I believe they've been very focused on this topic in Nazareth lately. Seem to remember that all new models from over there have upgraded pin-material/consciousness.

 
Edited by E-minor7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that Gibson has been installing tusq bridge pins on new guitars.  My new 2019 J-45 came with  tusq bridge pins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Yes, exactly ^ logic bein' that the denser material the easier/better vibe-transmission - softer like spruce or rosewood meaning increased 'stop-force'.                                                                                        Some willingly to go as far as saying plast = more glaze.


I believe they've been very focused on this topic in Nazareth lately. Seem to remember that all new models from over there have upgraded pin-material/conciseness.  

Yup, new liquid metal bridge pins. It actually increases the volume so much that you can hear a difference if you REALLY listen. To me, the difference isn’t worth $100.00. YMMV

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TheLeadFlatpick said:

Yup, new liquid metal bridge pins. It actually increases the volume so much that you can hear a difference if you REALLY listen. To me, the difference isn’t worth $100.00. YMMV

Always a lot of fun in company with the guys in that room.  And they are as qualified and competent as joyous too. 
Glad to see them make sense here. Would have liked to try the A/B with some fingerpicking though.  To hear the actual nature of the pins not just the power. 
Well, , , next time. 

Good post ^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 6:58 PM, Rich said:

I believe that Gibson has been installing tusq bridge pins on new guitars.  My new 2019 J-45 came with  tusq bridge pins. 

 

I have 2017s. I called Gibson and asked if they were plastic or TUSQ and they checked the spec sheet (not listed on the website) and they said TUSQ.

My bad for not trying the drop test before when changing strings.

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tusq sounds different to me and not in a good way. That means nothing, really, because many claim to hear no difference with pin changes, and those of us who distinguish a change are pretty subjective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...