Gibson Brands Forums

Take a hike

Black Dog

5 hours ago, Black Dog said:

We've been busy, and the season is a bit late this year, but yesterday we got out to one of our favorite spots.  It was a beautiful day.

ycpToITl.jpg

OK; I simply just have to ask.

Did you or did you not ramp up the hill and have a snowball fight?

:-k

I strongly doubt whether my daughter and I could resist the opportunity!

Pip.

25 minutes ago, pippy said:

OK; I simply just have to ask.

Did you or did you not ramp up the hill and have a snowball fight?

:-k

I strongly doubt whether my daughter and I could resist the opportunity!

Pip.

Sadly, the answer is no.  We're too old for that!  Ha.

Actually though, that "snow" is not really snow at all.   Believe it or not, that's a glacier!  I think it's the smallest one in Oregon.

Edit:   here's a picture of me standing across from it 

celMrhBl.jpg

Edited by Black Dog
  • Upvote 2

I'm too old for that, too, but unfortunately my daughter isn't! Hey? It keeps me feeling like I'm slightly younger....

Glaciers? Don't get me started. Anyhow; forum rules are in the way.

Lovely to see you out and about in the space. Personally I first became aware of the various amazing 'walks' on offer to you 'muricans through reading about the John Muir Trail in the autobiography by the (absolutely peerless IMO) photographer Ansel Adams. You folks in the USA have SO MUCH stuff to appreciate practically everywhere you could throw a dart.

I'm so glad you and yours can manage to enjoy the special nature of what you have available. It's a great part into what makes 'life' become 'Life'.

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Upvote 1

Nice scenery.  When we were in Tucson, we lived on the Northeast side right off the Catalina Highway that leads to Mt. Lemmon.  In the Summer,  a 30 mile drive up the mountain took us from 110 degrees to 80 degree for an escape from the heat.  In the Winter, that same drive took us to snow, skiing and other Winter activities.  Then, when the cold and snow lost its amusement value, we’d drive back home, change into shorts and a t-shirt and fire up the grill.  The best of both worlds.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marky Forrest said:

That is beautiful country. I live near mountains but no pine trees or snow here in the desert. Thanks for posting the gorgeous picture.

12 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

Nice scenery.  When we were in Tucson, we lived on the Northeast side right off the Catalina Highway that leads to Mt. Lemmon.  In the Summer,  a 30 mile drive up the mountain took us from 110 degrees to 80 degree for an escape from the heat.  In the Winter, that same drive took us to snow, skiing and other Winter activities.  Then, when the cold and snow lost its amusement value, we’d drive back home, change into shorts and a t-shirt and fire up the grill.  The best of both worlds.

The desert has it's own charm and beauty.  I've been to the Tuscon area and hiked around Saguaro National Park and the surrounding area.  It is really cool to see the dramatic change at the higher elevation at Mt. Lemmon.  [thumbup]

2 hours ago, Black Dog said:

The desert has it's own charm and beauty.  I've been to the Tuscon area and hiked around Saguaro National Park and the surrounding area.  It is really cool to see the dramatic change at the higher elevation at Mt. Lemmon.  [thumbup]

We loved the desert and the Tucson area.  We have lived in several areas of the U.S.  over the years and Tucson was one of the best, if not the best, we have ever lived. We spent a lot of time of time hiking in Saguaro National Park East (during the cooler months anyway).  If it hadn’t been for my aging mother-in-law and our grandkids living here in the Austin area, we would have stayed and retired in Tucson.  I occasionally float the trial balloon of moving back.  

Edited by tx-ogre

We now live on the north Oregon coast, but used to live in Eugene - relatively close to Three Finger Jack.

Have seen it from a distance, but never hiked directly in.  Was completely amazed the first time I rode through the moonscape-like McKenzie Pass volcanic area back in the early '70s on a motorcycle.  Seemed like just about the cleanest air a person could breath, and Three Finger Jack could be viewed through one of the portals of the rock observatory near the summit of the pass.

Thanks for sharing & bringing back some great memories!

• Upvote 1

Wow, drama on the doorstep!

I walk early every morning. A couple of days a week its a shore walk at Portchester. I regularly take pictures of the same locale and its always different. This is from a couple of days ago. It was at about 7.30am as evidenced by the long shadows

66846327_845208465851251_727547902808817

67191311_845207339184697_131504846267219

67185078_845209029184528_322759361571481

• Upvote 2