Gibson Brands Forums

I am Never shopping At WAL-MART Again

Basshole

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love me some walmart! I enjoy low prices...I like Sam's Club too...low prices on larger quantities.

I was in Sam's Club the other day.... I have never see such a large container of fresh garlic before...

I bet the octuplet's mom shops a sam's club... probably a vip customer.

I was in Sam's Club the other day.... I have never see such a large container of fresh garlic before...

I bet the octuplet's mom shops a sam's club... probably a vip customer.

I don't think Sam's Club takes food stamps ?

We shop almost exclusively at Wal-Mart, including much of our groceries - Sam's too.

We have the income to shop anyplace we want, but I won't pay more for the same stuff somewhere else.

I'm bummed that they got away from the whole "Buy American" kick years ago, and that everything in there is Chinese, but we shop carefully and buy good quality stuff no matter where we are.

I noticed years ago that they were unbeatable on their prices storewide - except music cd's.

They sell the edited crap (buyer beware) and charge too much for it.

Seems to work, they move more music and movies than anybody.

As far as all the Wal-Mart horror stories...

Many have some basis in fact, my Mom worked for them for 15 years.

The real problem?

All the union m@therfxckers trying to sink the company - THAT'S where the problem is, with all its hype and bullsh!t.

Show me a Wal-Mart with people chained to the cash register.

Those people can quit anytime they want, and move to wherever they can find a better job.

Entry level jobs were never intended to be careers, only union automatons would try to make them so.

Here's my question to all of you I just pissed off.

How big does a company get before it is no longer an entrepreneurial success story, but a horrible soul-crushing empire?

Sam Walton was loved by all who met him - Mom included.

McDonalds was once the same thing, Ray Kroc was the poster boy for American small business.

When the unions drive the last f-ing job out of the country, who will YOU work for?

We don't actually BUILD sh!t in this country anymore, and we're seeing the economic result of a service-based economy.

Kill the steel industry, cripple the car industry, aerospace, too many to list.

Bravo!

Oh, and if you're simply playing the "me too" snob card, you should set your sights a little higher than a blue collar store with absolutely no pretense. Go to your well-lit over-priced Target and try to find somebody to help you there.

They do the loss-leader thing - sell a few things below cost so they aren't "overpriced" and then stick it in your *** on things you don't price shop.

I went to Wal-Mart in 2004 to get some plastic clothes hangers.

I really liked the ones I bought and wanted to get rid of the last of my wire hangers.

No luck - sold out.

Found out they didn't carry the same hanger anymore.

Bummer.

The wife suggested we go to Target and look, and wouldn't you know it - they had 'em!

I started grabbing them all off the rack, since I needed about 60 of them and the wife says "Put 'em back..."

"Huh?"

"I don't think you wanna pay THAT much for 'em."

At Wal-Mart, they were 13 to a pack for $.87, and at Target, they were $3.97 for a pack of three.

So, would you rather pay 6.7 cents apiece, or $1.32?

Twenty times the price.

You decide.

I've been back a few times, they pull that sh!t on random items in the store. Tough to catch.

If shopping at Target saves your pride, you need to get more going for yourself in the way of self-esteem....

my roblem with walmart, is that they make huge profits by selling overseas "crap" wouldnt you rather pay a little bit more for something made in the USA?

i wasnt talking about unionizing theworkers of walmart, but rather, the people in th overseas sweatshops who have no other options, but to have walmart take advantage of the fact that overseas workers will work long hours of hard work for little wages

they should be unionized

hen i go shopping for stuff, first place i go is the thrift shop, but when i buy stuff new, i usually head for the "downtown" shops, as in the places owned by members of the community-the mom and pop shops

target is just as bad iMO, any huge retail store is, well, nevermind, are the craftsman tools @ sears still made in america?

point is, there are alot of companies trying to make a profit, sears, JC penny, target, walmart, how many of thoose stores are owned by people who know u by first name

?

are the craftsman tools @ sears still made in america?

Don't get me started on Sears....

Been buying Craftsman tools since the seventies.

Sears was a great company at one time, two friends of mine were appliance techs with them for years.

The stores here have turned to pathetic dirty stores employing lazy apathetic losers from the 'hood.

Shameful.

I still get automotive shocks, batteries and such there from time to time.

the way i see it, why drive to the next town to pay a "sticker price" on the "fashionable" clothes, "fashionable" haircuts, and why shop @ walmart (or best buy, or sears) so you can save 50 dollars on a POS TV

we have a joe hassans, a good barber, a nice electronics store, and plenty of places that can provide the same goods and services that huge retail stores offer

when did craftsman move overseas?

I don't know when Craftsman started being imported.

Still decent stuff, but....

And I don't buy POS anything.

I shop before I buy, and I rarely have buyers remorse.

I don't get all hung up on saving a buck, I'll spend a little more to avoid sh!tty merchants if I have to.

the people in th overseas sweatshops who have no other options' date=' but to have walmart take advantage of the fact that overseas workers will work long hours of hard work for little wages

they should be unionized[/quote']

Not our problem Jesse.

Let those countries care for themselves.

Pull all those jobs out and watch those countries collapse.

We're helping them, and they get better working conditions and pay thru Wal-Mart's buying than anything else.

Save the hand-wringing and whining for the Liberal activists who don't even have a job to worry about.

Years ago, Japan made all the cheap crap.

Then Japan became prosperous and wealthy so China took over.

Costs there went up, and we bought from Taiwan to help them against the Communists.

In the eighties, North Korea started attracting American business.

Textiles and such have come from Bangladesh for decades - horribly poor country glad for every penny.

My Japanese motorcycle was assembles in Thailand, the tires were MADE there.

Viet Nam has gotten in on the game.

As long as we keep buying the cheapest sh!t we can find, they will keep sending it.

Doesn't matter where you buy it or how much you paid....

Bought a set of Goodyear F1 performance tires along with a road hazard warranty from WalMart on my 2001 Trans Am. First time I had a problem with a nail getting in one of those rather expensive tires , the road hazard wasn't worth the paper it was written on. After telling me for a month and half the tire was "ordered" , they then told me the tire was discontinued. I called a real Goodyear dealer and they not only had not discontinued the tire but had plenty of them in stock. Walmart then told me I would have to settle for a different tire so I would have 3 F1 tires and an oddball. I swore never to buy another thing from them and I have not. Never again!

I don't know when Craftsman started being imported.

Still decent stuff' date=' but....

And I don't buy POS anything.

I shop before I buy, and I rarely have buyers remorse.

I don't get all hung up on saving a buck, I'll spend a little more to avoid sh!tty merchants if I have to.

Not our problem Jesse.

Let those countries care for themselves.

Pull all those jobs out and watch those countries collapse.

We're helping them, and they get better working conditions and pay thru Wal-Mart's buying than anything else.

Save the hand-wringing and whining for the Liberal activists who don't even have a job to worry about.

Years ago, Japan made all the cheap crap.

Then Japan became prosperous and wealthy so China took over.

Costs there went up, and we bought from Taiwan to help them against the Communists.

In the eighties, North Korea started attracting American business.

Textiles and such have come from Bangladesh for decades - horribly poor country glad for every penny.

My Japanese motorcycle was assembles in Thailand, the tires were MADE there.

Viet Nam has gotten in on the game.

As long as we keep buying the cheapest sh!t we can find, they will keep sending it.

Doesn't matter where you buy it or how much you paid....[/quote']

We all make choices and for our own reasons. From when we get up in the morning to what we eat to where we work, who we work for and how much we are willing to get paid for that work. No one should be dumped on for the choices they make - unless we are talking against the rule of law and order.

I have been a union member for all of my working life and will remain so. My beef with the union/management thing is that they are both still thinking in 1930's terms, adversarial, and not thinking about how we have to change to save jobs and industries. This has to be a joint effort or we will continue to go down the drainpipe.

As a journalist covering both politics and economics for years, I find this thread really interesting. I'll tell you this: Walmart likely is responsible for more small town business failures than any other economic factor. That, it seems to me, has played a far larger role in some of the difficulties of newspaper and even radio and TV corporations today than the Internet advertising that anyone might have turned to.

Note that you can't buy a Gibson in Walmart, nor an Epi, nor a Fender nor a Washburn or any other brand that some company really cares about whether made in US or elsewhere.

The company also puts a strangle on American manufacturers that have chosen to do business with them. You sell them Made in America widgets. They sell well, so they order in even larger quantities until more American workers are added to produce the things.

Then... well, when a solid majority of your production is just for Walmart under some sort of a contract or another and you're a "captive producer" all or in part, you're told to cut your prices to them or they'll find another supplier. So to stay in business you fire the American workers and contract with a Chinese or whatever overseas factory.

Interesting, eh?

Oh, and as for music, try to take a disk back, either audio, video or computer program, even if it doesn't work. Nope, you're told, copyright law won't let them. Yeah, right.

By the way, I'm personally as far from being a leftist or a "close the borders to all trade" guy. I just think some companies have gotten so big that Teddy Roosevelt would have chopped them up as he did in his era to maintain real capitalism and competition as opposed to corporate "trusts" with more real economic, political and in some cases even military power than a lotta national governments.

We shop almost exclusively at Wal-Mart' date=' including much of our groceries - Sam's too.

We have the income to shop anyplace we want, but I won't pay more for the same stuff somewhere else.

I'm bummed that they got away from the whole "Buy American" kick years ago, and that everything in there is Chinese, but we shop carefully and buy good quality stuff no matter where we are.

I noticed years ago that they were unbeatable on their prices storewide - except music cd's.

They sell the edited crap (buyer beware) and charge too much for it.

Seems to work, they move more music and movies than anybody.

As far as all the Wal-Mart horror stories...

Many have some basis in fact, my Mom worked for them for 15 years.

The real problem?

All the union m@therfxckers trying to sink the company - THAT'S where the problem is, with all its hype and bullsh!t.

Show me a Wal-Mart with people chained to the cash register.

Those people can quit anytime they want, and move to wherever they can find a better job.

Entry level jobs were never intended to be careers, only union automatons would try to make them so.

[b']Here's my question to all of you I just pissed off.[/b]

How big does a company get before it is no longer an entrepreneurial success story, but a horrible soul-crushing empire?

Sam Walton was loved by all who met him - Mom included.

McDonalds was once the same thing, Ray Kroc was the poster boy for American small business.

When the unions drive the last f-ing job out of the country, who will YOU work for?

We don't actually BUILD sh!t in this country anymore, and we're seeing the economic result of a service-based economy.

Kill the steel industry, cripple the car industry, aerospace, too many to list.

Bravo!

Neo.... PLEASE run for president in 2012. This country needs more people like you who tell it like it is.

Those of you that advocate "buy American", is that because you don't like a global economy? How many American workers could we keep employed, if the American workers were only building products for American citizens? We need the world market in order to grow our businesses and production. A side effect of a global market is competition. This means that the market leans out as producers look for the lowest cost of production and global consumers look for the lowest prices.

If we want to compete in a global market we have to get competitive too. There are only so many ways to cut costs: materials, wages, taxes, fees and regulatory costs. For those of you that say we can't cut wages, what does that leave us? How about we cut taxes, fees and regulatory costs instead of wages?

I'm just sayin...

Archived