Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic amps...I need to buy one, but which?

Jinder

On 7/24/2021 at 12:41 PM, Jinder said:

So, earlier in the year I ordered a brand new Compact 60/4, the latest iteration. It’s a superb amp and has been faultless since I’ve owned it. It is LOUD (I’ve used it as a single source for audiences up to 200, and have never had the master volume past 11 o’clock!) and really crisp. Super hi-fi sound. Beautiful to sing through, too. It has a very gentle compression/limiting at extremes which is rather like singing through a good LA2A comp/limiter in the studio. 

Great to hear you are happy with the Compact 60/4 ; just curious because EQ for the mic/vocals are the same as the XL wich you didn't like. I'm also in doubt choosing between the XL and 60/4 ,slightly in favor for the 200 W output XL. So as I understand you highly prefere the vocals on the 60/4 and in comparisson with the XL it's loud enough for small bar/venue gigs. Can you please elaborate on this..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LPSpecial said:

Great to hear you are happy with the Compact 60/4 ; just curious because EQ for the mic/vocals are the same as the XL wich you didn't like. I'm also in doubt choosing between the XL and 60/4 ,slightly in favor for the 200 W output XL. So as I understand you highly prefere the vocals on the 60/4 and in comparisson with the XL it's loud enough for small bar/venue gigs. Can you please elaborate on this..

I wasn’t mad about the XL for vocals, you’re right. The Compact 60/4 is a  different sounding amp to the XL, which I think is attributable to a couple of factors-firstly, the Compact XL is based on the second iteration of the C60, and the C60/4 has of course been revised twice since then. The current XL is still based on the C60/2 pre/EQ circuit, as far as I am aware. 

The other aspect is that the XL has a driver and a separate tweeter with a high/low pass crossover, whereas the C60 has a concentric “whizzer cone” speaker and no tweeter or crossover. 

To my ears, the C60 is full and rich for vocals with terrific articulation. The XL, unlike the C60, brought out a nasal frequency in my voice which I hadn’t heard in any other amplification or recordings. I tried several mics and all sorts of tricks with positioning etc, but I just couldn’t connect with the XL as a vocal amp. Sounded terrific for guitar though, every bit as good as the C60. 

I would recommend you try them both. The C60/4 is a remarkable amp and is more than loud enough for anything I’ve come across. I’ve never even turned the master up as far as midday-the volume and projection is has are startling. 

This weekend I’ve just finished a run of gigs, the first being a 100 capacity basement bar gig which I used the C60 for as sole sound reinforcement, the second a 350 capacity pub in which I did the same, and the last being a 1000 capacity music venue in which I used the C60 as mixer, fx and monitor and ran the DI out to the house rig. The sound engineer was delighted to get my mix DI’d in, and was raving about the clarity and quality of the DI signal. The pres are pristine also, such crisp articulation and warmth. 

It’s hard to conceive a situation where the C60 wouldn’t be loud enough for a solo/small band setting. I could have used it as FOH for tonight’s gig, but it made more sense to DI my mix out and use the house PA.

Another great AER option you may like is the Monte Montgomery signature MM200 amp. They can get seriously, brutally loud and sound superb. Plenty expensive, but well worth investigating.

On 9/13/2021 at 5:06 AM, Buc McMaster said:

Damn, J, didn't know you were amp hunting.  I've got a Schertler David Deluxe just sitting in the closet, with a clamshell custom cover to boot.  Ya should said something!

IB6t3hz.jpg

uiQ9jc7.jpg

Oh man, that would have been perfect for what I needed!! Are you looking to sell, Buc?

29 minutes ago, Buc McMaster said:

Might as well sell it as I have no use for it any longer.  Thing is, you're on the other side of the world.........

That’s very true, and not the most conveniently shaped or sized thing to send either! If you’ve still got it when I’m next Stateside we’ll have to talk turkey. Ironically the David Deluxe is an amp I tried at length to find over here during my hunt…I ended up unable to track one down, so ended up with a Roy which was just too big a unit. 

4 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

Don't reckon you'll get stateside too often.  Bummer.

meBEawm.jpg

Certainly not in the immediate future, sadly. I’ve no idea how long it will take to extricate us from the current mess we’re in, or how long after that we’ll see grassroots venues putting music on again…I’ve got a trickle of work over here but people are understandably wary of coming out to shows. I think international touring is still years away, which is gutting. Mainland Europe is looking difficult post Brexit also. Looks like I may be an islander for a while…