Gibson Brands Forums

Hey newbie with a ES-175

zman

Hey I got a sunburst ES-175 that was given to me when I was 12 or so and I am a bit older now. It has an Orangle label in it and the stock is stamped with a serial number 370XX. I been playing for a while and have seen the reissues-just wondering what I got.

Thanks,

Z

No, not trying to figure out monetary value, because it is priceless to me. My grandpa gave it to me and he died last year. I am going to pass it down to my son, so hopefully he can do the same. It is in nice shape other the tuners yellowing. I am just trying to figure out production year and things like that.

Thanks

Z

Zman, welcome! ...It sounds like you have a special guitar on your hands, hope to see what it looks like sometime. There are some sharp guys around here who may be able to tell you about your paw-paw's ax once you get some pics up. Do you play it much?

I don't play this one as much as I use too, but I still play it every now and then, so here yall go, see what you think. If you click on the pics below they should get bigger. I am not so good with computers so let me know if it works.

th_P3040206.jpg

th_P3040203.jpg

Beautiful guitar. The serial number comes up 1961. The fancy tailpiece was usually reserved for the ES-175D (double pickup), but also just could have been a little extra bling from the factory when built. The headstock logo also fits this era. Looks like the knobs are mismatched (One tophat, one reflector), either one is readily available if you decide to make them match. I'm not sure which one was stock at the time, I would guess the reflectors.

This style ES-175 was reissued by Gibson during the late 80's or early 90's as the Herb Ellis model.

You have one fine guitar there, enjoy

Archived