Gibson Brands Forums

Could anyone help me please. Is this 2003 Gold Top fake or not?? I can't afford losing a fortune on

gabriel_uk

Hi Everyone..

I have only had epiphones until now and I have come across this advert about a goldtop being sold at 2/3 of the usual estimate. He's asking for $1200. He's only got these pictures that I've uploaded on photobucket and I haven't got anything else at all. Could anyone please tell me if this is a real or a fake? I'd really appreciate your help guys, as i can't afford to lose this kind of money. Many thanks in advance..

DSC00940.jpg

DSC00939.jpg

DSC00938.jpg

It sort of looks like the mother of pearl Gibson inlay logo has been carved out with a knife to be stored away for better days.. It's so not Gibson that Gibson logo.. I know I shouldn't be interested in esthetics but in the sound itself but it obviously drops the resell value to it's lowest limit. Does everyone think that the whole rest of it looks legit and 100% Gibson? I really can't afford to fail on this one.. I never had a Gibson before and I f I fail now, I probably never will... I need to be as certain as I can be.. He even pretends that he's got a receipt and that he's bought it himself from Nashville.. Hard to believe from my point of view.. but he's also selling a flying V..

I put the serial number in the guitar dater project and it came up:

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

September 25th, 2003

Production Number: 98

Why don't you call Gibson customer service and give them the serial number and related info and check with them.

I put the serial number in the guitar dater project and it came up:

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant' date=' TN, USA

September 25th, 2003

Production Number: 98

Why don't you call Gibson customer service and give them the serial number and related info and check with them. [/quote']

Yes, I checked that myself as well. It came out with the same result. And calling Gibson would not give me more informations, will it? At least so I think..

Does anyone have the same impression as me that the neck is slightly fatter and probably too flat on the fretboard than it should be? Or is it the thick strings that make me have the wrong impression? Also, I have been looking at a 2003 goldtop's headstock picture and the britness of that logo is unbelievable.. Have a look at the picture:

61006.jpg

Does anyone have the same impression as me that the neck is slightly fatter and probably too flat on the fretboard than it should be? Or is it the thick strings that make me have the wrong impression? Also' date=' I have been looking at a 2003 goldtop's headstock picture and the britness of that logo is unbelievable.. Have a look at the picture:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt90/gabriel_uk/61006.jpg[/quote']

Is that really bad lighting or is that fretboard Ebony... If it is ebony, thats 2 different guitars.

Is that really bad lighting or is that fretboard Ebony... If it is ebony' date=' thats 2 different guitars.[/quote']

No, That's what I'm saying.. This is from an original 2003 Gibson Goldtop standard. This ebay seller has got a 600+ 100% positive feedback dating from around 2001 and he's selling mainly Gibson in his Ebay shop (called Dave's Guitars). It has to be an original. Here's some more pictures of his original:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt90/gabriel_uk/61007.jpg

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt90/gabriel_uk/61002.jpg

Does anyone have the same impression as me that the neck is slightly fatter and probably too flat on the fretboard than it should be? Or is it the thick strings that make me have the wrong impression? Also' date=' I have been looking at a 2003 goldtop's headstock picture and the britness of that logo is unbelievable.. Have a look at the picture:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt90/gabriel_uk/61006.jpg[/quote']

Key word: Impression.

Looks good to me... not well taken care off but real enough (I dont trust players that leave thier strings that way tho...=P~ )

It wouldnt hurt to ask pics of the side of the neck and the front of the neck (close pics)

I've tried Les Pauls in guitar shops with logos in a similar condition. The other guitar you're showing is of course in an immaculate cosmetic condition. I'm not convinced about that other guitar having an ebony fretboard, isn't it just the darkness of the picture?

I've tried Les Pauls in guitar shops with logos in a similar condition. The other guitar you're showing is of course in an immaculate cosmetic condition. I'm not convinced about that other guitar having an ebony fretboard' date=' isn't it just the darkness of the picture?[/quote']

No, it's not ebony. It's just the darkness. And those pictures are for comparing purposes only. I'm not sure about the 50's neck though. I have studied violin for 12 years so obviously I'm used to rather slim necks than fat ones. I know (at least I've read here somewhere) that it would be just an impression and that if I'd take measurments with a ruler the 50's and 60's necks are both equal in fretboard's width but man... does that look fat or what ?? Now I think I'm just trying to relieve my mind from that fear of making a mistake. I so want this guitar ...

Again... It's fine ...

If AXE says its fine, it is.

Isn't sad that you even have to ask the question? It says its a Gibson. It looks like a Gibson. It even has a serial number and Made in USA stamped on it. Pretty convincing to the average musician aching for a Gibson Les Paul. I'd have trouble spotting a fake these days. Pretty sad that there are so many dishonest people in the world that have to copy and steal to make a living.

I´d still say the Goldtop is o.k., but forgot to mention another thing. Unless the seller is a well reputed shop, I wouldn´t buy any guitar without seeing and playing it before. Even if everything´s okay with it, you still couldn´t like the sound or feel or whatever.

Greetings

Kurt

Archived