Gibson Brands Forums

'68 LP Custom VOS -or- R8 VOS

LPDEN

Having sold my other PRS, I have some cash for another LP. I am looking at 2 Custom Shop Offerings. I have just about made my decision, but I'd thought I throw this out here for discussion to see what you guys think...

1. '68 LP Custom Vintage White just like this one:

StreamImage.aspx?Image_ID=13809739&type=gear&Image_Type=full

2. (I replaced the pic with the ACTUAL R8 I am considering....)

005.jpg

How many other Les Pauls do you own? I know you have a new R9, any others?

Are you asking "which one should I buy?" or "which one should I buy first?"

I prefer Standards to Customs. If I had one Standard, I'd want another one before buying a Custom.

Strange, I know...

How many other Les Pauls do you own? I know you have a new R9' date=' any others?[/quote']

Never enough really...8-[ I once had 6 LP's under the roof at one time, but thinned out after Gassing for other instruments and went on a PRS binge for a while. Before my 50th R9, I had a '07 R9 last. Also had '68 Custom that I foolishly parted with.

Are you asking "which one should I buy?" or "which one should I buy first?"

LOL! I guess the way I go' date=' it would have to be which one first?

I prefer Standards to Customs. If I had one Standard, I'd want another one before buying a Custom.

Strange, I know...

I am finding I am sharing your sentiment on that point...

Well I put the hold on the R8, go into pick it up today. Unless of course I change my mind at the last minute...

I thought about swinging both at the same time, but then there was aJeff Beck Oxblood staring me in the face that for the $$ of these two I could get that beauty... But the R8 was screaming to me..

Well I put the hold on the R8

Didn't you just buy that R9 lask week? You have too much money! LOL

I'm only kidding...I put a hold on a '57 Custom yesterday and I'm going to look it tonight.

I still stand by what I said above. If I didn't have a few Standards, I'd be looking for another R8.

It's quite easy.

For the heavier stuff I'd go with the Custom. An ebony fretboard on a thick, warm-toned mahogany body (like a Les Paul) gives the guitar more tightness in the low end (even with many distortion) and it gives the guitar a bit more edge. It doesn't muddy up as fast as rosewood boarded Les Pauls. 'The Edge' (U2) also prefers Les Paul Customs over Les Paul Standards...you can guess why.

For more roundness, sweetness and a woodier blues/rock tone I'd go with the Standard.

I think the battle between the VOS R8 Standard and '68 Custom reissue not only depends on the tone differences of the guitars, but also alot on the music you play...

Didn't you just buy that R9 lask week? You have too much money! LOL

I'm only kidding...I put a hold on a '57 Custom yesterday and I'm going to look it tonight.

I still stand by what I said above. If I didn't have a few Standards' date=' I'd be looking for another R8.[/quote']

Yeah, I had a alot of $$ tied up in other gear that I was just lucky enough to find buyer for at prices I was comfortable at letting them go for. I took a pic of the top of the R8 (Plain tops are definitely cool!) I have been talking about, here it is :

I'd be interested in what the opinions are on the coloring & grain/ bookmatching of the top on this Iced Tea????? Looks aside, all the R8's I played were equally awesome feeling and sounding. It came down to which color appealed to me the best. It's between this Iced Tea Burst, an a older Lemonburst, or a Tea Bag Burst (which is a bit darker than the Iced Tea color). The Iced Tea Burst seem to capture the best vintage look I think....

005.jpg

Bookmatching...no.

Since I can only go based on looks I can tell you I don't like it, personally. The colour is great and the grain on the bottom half looks great. I don't like that circular pattern at the top left of the picture...but at the same time there is one in Beauty of the Burst with a very similar top; so, if you're looking for one that resembles a real burst, this may be the one. My R8 has that same circular pattern but it's not so bad (for me) and not as noticable because it's sort of masked by the volume/tone controls.

This one's Bourbonburst...a.k.a. Brockburst.

R8667.jpg

R850th020.jpg

As you may have figured out by my earlier picture, I picked it up. It's really a great player and sounds and feels rally great. I am definitely bonding with this one and it's character. The neck, of course, is a tad beefier than my 50th R9 something that isn't really an issue for me at all as I find both to my liking. Acoustically this one really sings too. That '68 Custom really was calling out to me, but not as much as this R8 does. It's a nice compliment to the R9 as well.

In addition to the one I already posted above, here are a bunch of extra pics I took after I got it home both in natural light and with flash... So I officially have an R8 in my pack.

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

It's quite easy.

For the heavier stuff I'd go with the Custom. An ebony fretboard on a thick' date=' warm-toned mahogany body (like a Les Paul) gives the guitar more tightness in the low end (even with many distortion) and it gives the guitar a bit more edge. It doesn't muddy up as fast as rosewood boarded Les Pauls. 'The Edge' (U2) also prefers Les Paul Customs over Les Paul Standards...you can guess why.

For more roundness, sweetness and a woodier blues/rock tone I'd go with the Standard.

I think the battle between the VOS R8 Standard and '68 Custom reissue not only depends on the tone differences of the guitars, but also alot on the music you play...[/quote']

All very valid points, Bram thanks. I do play more bluesy rock than most anything else, and is a reason why I gravitate to the standards. But the LPC is versatile too and I have room here and one day will get one back in here to have to play and enjoy.

Thanks...

Bookmatching...no.

Since I can only go based on looks I can tell you I don't like it' date=' personally. The colour is great and the grain on the bottom half looks great. I don't like that circular pattern at the top left of the picture...but at the same time there is one in Beauty of the Burst with a very similar top; so, if you're looking for one that resembles a real burst, this may be the one. My R8 has that same circular pattern but it's not so bad (for me) and not as noticable because it's sort of masked by the volume/tone controls.

This one's Bourbonburst...a.k.a. Brockburst.

[img']http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Gibson_Tim/R8667.jpg[/img]

R850th020.jpg

They both look great. Which page in the BOTB are you referring to by the way so I can have a look-see. Actually the top on this one gave me the initial impression of feeling like it was from back from '58... Plain tops I guess have a way conveying that aura.

IMVHO.

Beautiful grain. Goes to prove that 'figure' isn't a prerequisite of a beautiful top.

I especially love non-book-matched tops

I love it.

Thanks Pippy. Yes I agree' date=' figure isn't always what makes a top appealing... I think for this one the [u']color[/u] adds alot to the honest looking grain. It is reminiscent of when guitars had a beauty from their build purpose as tools to play music, and not necessarily be the prettiest top in town. This was one of the reasons I chose this one over 3 others.

Archived