Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for Advise from the forum

taras

;)

I am getting a serious run around from everybody regarding the value of an SG I would like to sell

I am turning to the forum in hope to get some unbiased advise

I have a 1975 Gibson SG Serial# 552966 Made in USA / Tobacco Burst with Ebony fretboard / Mint Condition

I have heard prices that range from 1100$USD to 3800$USD

That's a big range!

What is the truth guys?

Thanks in advance

I don't know. Why don't you go to your local Chapters or Indigo bookstore and look for the Official Vintage Guitar Price Guide 2009. It's in the music section of the store. That guide has everything from the '50s to 2008 and the best thing is, it's in writing.

and i am yet to see a "mnint" 35 year old SG.

people always throw that word around. it might be clean, but "mint" would mean that i can't tell the difference between it and one that gibson shipped out today.

this is probably part of why people aren't giving good answers. i always tell people "be honest, and remember that the guitar is not in as good of shape as you think".

we need pics.... lots of them... and then we will probably want more.

Ok

Now I feel really lame not posting a picture (after everybody else has) but I do not see how / where to insert / attatch an image??

Thanks for the initial feedback,.....But

I have seen many standard '70s SG for sale and the average price is 1100$ USD

Is there more value to the tabacco burst finish (Kalamazoo?) and an ebony fretboard??

She looks exactly like this guitar (asking over 3000$USD) with the exception... mine has an ebony fretboard

www.joetheguitarman.com/1975SGTBCASE.htm

Now as to her condition,...yes she is 33 yrs old but she has not been played in over 25 years

All original / not a lot of wear & tear /

I have tried to find an Official Vintage Guitar Price Guide, but so far to no luck...maybe tonight

Again, thanks for any and all your help

T

The seller said it was original but who knows for sure. It does look pretty damn old now that you mention it. It has a small metal embossed outlined Gibson logo plate between the two latches on the neck part. Is that a 60's or 70's thing? Hmmm

This one I have, should be early to mid 60's

000_3889.jpg

And right now there is one on evil-bay for 750.00 dollars that looks the same

Item#370124688620 and I have some other photos of the same case(well almost) that came with an original 1962 SG

Wow yours has got the rivited old Gibson Logo. Real Kool.

I'd do some web searching on that case.

I think it's worth a lot. Good Deal.

Well, the inside trap door is missing its flap and the rest of the case looks like it's from the Civil War but WTW, maybe it's still valuable.

Taras,

$3,800 is awfully optimistic.

Remember, those guitars were like $500 when they were new.

If it's in truly mint condition, it's worth at least as much as a new one, but you're still within $2,000.

Any more than that will simply be from a singular want and desire - finding the right buyer in other words.

Take the advice given here, Ebay is great to see what they're selling for, regardless of what you think it's worth.

Real world ya know.....

Add to all that the state of the guitar market, popular pieces are still doing okay but everything else is selling for squat.

I say keep it.

It will never be worth less than it is right now, and the right buyer might happen along when you least expect it.

Good luck Buddy.

=D>

I am getting a serious run around from everybody regarding the value of an SG I would like to sell

I am turning to the forum in hope to get some unbiased advise

I have a 1975 Gibson SG Serial# 552966 Made in USA / Tobacco Burst with Ebony fretboard / Mint Condition

I have heard prices that range from 1100$USD to 3800$USD

That's a big range!

What is the truth guys?

Thanks in advance

The truth is finding a buyer in this terrible economy to pay top dollar for most anything is not a practical expectation' date=' if that is your position. So good hi-res pics would help, but in excellent+ condition, I would expect you might be able to sell from $1200 to a high price of $1600 for your SG. From what I have seen, the VGPC prices have been averaging a discount anywhere from 20 to 35+/-% depending on model and year. As others have suggested a '75 SG isn't at the top of the heap for desirable SG's ([i']though there is a buyer for everything eventually at the right price[/i]) so you should take the posture that even best offers right now should be a consideration if your really want or need to sell.

Good Luck.

Archived