Gibson Brands Forums

The new "I hate Guitar Center!!!" thread

Thundergod

so i went to the GC to pick up the mxr phase 90 i was talking about some time ago,

and with none on display, it took like 20 min for the dude to find and give me one, then realize there was no battery

i'm the kinda guy who likes to try things out BEFORE i buy them, so i asked to try it out, the dude gave me a weird look like WHAAA?, like someone wanting to try something before they purchase it was obsurd

then he starts to set me up with this SHITTY amp, and im like, "uh dude do ya mind if i set this up on an amp similar to mine?" and ofcourse he's all "ok, well, bring it RIGHT BACK to me when your done"

cool, so i go find an amp i know has a similar tone, then i set everything down to go grab a guitar similar to my own, so i grab a USED 92 sg standard (pretty nice guitar for the price they were asking) and dude sees me taking it down and says

"be EXTREMELY careful with that"

this was like, ok asshole, whatsthedeal? im just a serious musician trying to get something new ive read and known about and wanting to add to my rig

so i'm like "NO WORRIES MAN, just trying to find a guitar that sounds like the one i own, so i can test out the pedal im about to buy from YOU"

i almost didnt buy the pedal on general principle that that guy was being a douschebag to me,

i ended up likeing the pedal so much i still had to buy it, the guy who rang me up asked "anybody here help you with that?"

i said "no"

well anyways i bought the mxr phase 90 and love it, great pedal, i give my appreciation to MXR for having a product so good that a discouraging asshole employee couldnt prevent me from not buying it

[EDIT] - i was planning on staying there for a while just to fool around with some guitars and such, but after that i couldnt take it, as soon as i got my hands on the pedal and decided i liked it, i bounced, hooked it up to my rig and jammed with the band all day

jameswithesg, thats must've been real annoying. I probably would have gotten awkward and walked out.

MXR Phase 90s are great phase pedals and MXR makes great pedals overall.

I was thinking about opening a card at GC for a Vox amp but I'm still not sure.

You have a Guitar Center down there TG?

No but I used to go to the states a lot (3 times a year) and used to buy stuff from GC they are the worst... but at the time it was them or samash... I mainly go to florida; don't know any good place to shop for musical instrument stuff in there, and most my friends there know the newest club but not where you can buy guitar strings.

I haven't been able to go there for more than a year tho... so most my shopping has been done localy.

C'mon Ba$shole... tackle Oilpit #-o (we will need proof: pics or video).

And just for the record... I do hate guitar center...

Ok thunder god, but first I have to find my "I love EMG's" T-shirt first.

And I will definetly put it on hy highlight tapes for colleges next year.

The song is "head strong" Trapt

I go San Joaquin Delta College (its one of the top JC in california)

I have talked to a college in Kanas (NCIA)

This last year we recieved new uniforms, but for some reason they didnt make 66, so i had to choose 65

Never been to a GC or Sam Ash. Must give it a try some day. I am familiar with some people who love the place - just for being able to try stuff out. There are a couple of places here that I don't think would let just anyone pick a guitar off the wall and give it a try - previous and good customer not withstanding. Besides which - not that much in the way of left handed guitars around this town.

Hmm, I don't know if this constitutes getting off topic but I don't "hate" GC per se. Actually the staff in the one near me are very nice and friendly. They are also actually pretty knowledgeable. I stop by every week on the way to rehearsal to see what's new. My biggest issue with them is their advertising strategy. They use classic "guaranteed lowest price" and "save at least 50% off" schemes which make an uninformed person think they are getting a great deal. But in actuality it's the same prices you'd find on any website. As I said before, there are no gimmicks at the HOG in Rochester. You get great service, knowledgeable staff, great inventory and truly the lowest prices...

Our "locally owned" mom 'n' pop has three stores. The closest one, in the town I live in, has a limited selection of beginner/intermediate guitars, and a staff that frequently offers help, but can rarely give it. About 20 miles up the highway they have another store by the same name. Better selection, but their guitar guy hosed me once on a trade in. Pretty much anything you want to trade for requires whatever gear you're carrying, plus 200-300 dollars. They had a ten year old Gibson CL-20 marked at $1350. Another guy was looking at it pretty seriously, and I loved the tone, so I traded my SG, a Vox AC-30 CC2, and $200 for it. When I came home, I found out that they typically go for about 800-1000 used. Not only that, there were unknown signatures on the back of the guitar that I hadn't noticed in their dimly lit acoustic room. Oh, and the "OHSC" that it came with wasn't even original. When I brought these things to their attention, they weren't willing to trade back or offer any kind of credit, or even an apology. When I brought it to the attention of their main office, they informed me that I got a great deal, as the CL-20 is out of production, and is therefore a collector's item.

Guitar Center, on the other hand, gave me a sweet deal on a not-even-out-of-the-box Les Paul VM, at least half of list price on my trades, and they offer a decent return policy. They're located in the same town as the shop that I bought the CL-20 at. Now, I know that I was a little too impulsive on pulling the trigger at the local shop, but the fact that they were totally unwilling to admit that their asking price was way too high, coupled with their nonexistent return policy, makes me wonder how they intend to stay in business with a GC just down the street. You'd think they'd at least help out the locals who keep them alive, but their attitude is basically "we make enough renting band instruments to schools, we're not worried about the competition."

On the other hand, though, there are several great local shops on the way to my parents' house that I would take over GC any day of the week.

OMG OMG STOP STOP WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT GC.

OILPIT WHERE ARE YOU?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

ok I get it already there are some good ones and bad ones.

Indeed, this thread was started to pull bsshole's string... and see if we could get some videos of him tackling oilpit (where the hell is he anyway?)

Looks like despite our best efforts, every thread becomes either a politics thread or a "I hate GC" thread... I have yet to decide which is worst.

So if you're going to try effects and have a unique sounding guitar you wanna use it to evaluate the tone, right ? Silly me heads to G C axe in hand to do so. At the door the lad asks me to open my case, which I do and chuckle as he looks for a serial # on my old Esquire's neck plate. I inform him it's on the bridge and he asks when they started putting them there ! "They stopped around '55" I told him, and went to put my axe back in the case, at which point he informed me I couldn't do that if I wanted to stay in the store. Seems they think everyone who comes in is a thief and treat them that way ! As my blood pressure slowly climbed he explained that no one can have a case on the premesis as they could STEAL SOMETHING ! Being an honest man, I explained they didn't have any 2 guitars in the store that would add up to the value of my beat up old Esquire, and they wouldn't both fit in the case anyhow. Knowing myself, it was time to leave. Halfway across the parking lot the Manager caught up to me and fell all over himself apologising and telling me to come back in, they could make an exception. I thanked him (we half *** know each other) for his consideration, but if a store assumes I am a thief they certainly do NOT need to spend my money! It is a crying shame that we are expected to tolerate this B S from people who depend on us for their livelihood. My opinion of G C is unpublishable in polite society, may they go the way of all the mom & pop stores they put out of business with their cutthroat pricing and nonexistent service!:D Jake sez Wee Wee on Gee Cee.

ps. when I see I hate G C it stirs me to reply- there's SO MUCH not to like, rilly do think they eat feces.

Archived