Gibson Brands Forums

Lee Malia Explorer Wiring Problem

obZen

Hello everyone, 
I'm new here, just a quick question. I recently bought my first Epiphone, as you can read from the title, it's a Lee Malia Explorer.

It has a dummy coil on the backside of the neck P-90. The idea is it should cancel some (or all) of the hum from the neck pickup.
However, when I opened the plastic cover of that dummy coil, I saw a wire wrapped around it. It has a naked end to it (no plastic insulation around the end of that wire), like it's intended to be soldered somewhere, but it isn't. 
So the question is - is that wire supposed to be soldered somewhere or not? Because it doesn't cancel all of the hum from the neck p-90.

Thanks.

• obZen changed the title to Lee Malia Explorer Wiring Problem
21 hours ago, Magneezo said:

I had to replace the P-94 in my RD recently, even after a new dummy coil sent from Gibson,  it just didn't help much. I ended up putting an Alnico II Seymour Duncan pickup in, but was a bit bummed over tossing the P-94 to the curb.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I don't want to get rid of the original pick ups, so that's why I'm asking about this problem. 
I'm assuming it has something to do with that wire not being soldered... I might be wrong. Do you recall your dummy coil not being soldered anywhere, just sitting there in the cavity ?

As far as I could tell it was hooked up fine.

It was just always noisy. That needed to be resolved, so that's the Only reason the P-94 was replaced. I was a bit bummed about it at first, but the Duncan APH-1 n hasn't let me down for a minute.

Overall I think everything worked out, but still don't have any answer for the dummy coil dilemma.

The dummy coil is wired in for hum cancelling for the P94, but there have been problems reported with wiring on the Lee Malia Artisan series including the RD and Explorer. This forum has lots of posts about the problems, which usually required a skilled guitar tech to test and repair..

click here to search this forum for Lee Malia.. 

Note the Lee Malia RD and Explorer have the same pickup configuration and wiring..

Edited by mihcmac

On 8/1/2019 at 1:30 AM, mihcmac said:

The dummy coil is wired in for hum cancelling for the P94, but there have been problems reported with wiring on the Lee Malia Artisan series including the RD and Explorer. This forum has lots of posts about the problems, which usually required a skilled guitar tech to test and repair..

click here to search this forum for Lee Malia.. 

Note the Lee Malia RD and Explorer have the same pickup configuration and wiring..

Thank you very much. From the wiring diagram it's obvious that the dummy coil should be soldered.

I hope this fixes the problem.