Gibson Brands Forums

Weights of various Les Pauls

stevezapp

Ok - so there are 101 different types of Gibson Les Paul (probably more) and many of these are weight relieved or swiss cheesed.

I've often heard players compaining of a sore back due to the strain of playing a Les Paul, and once heard someone even describe it as 'like strapping a table top to you'.

It may be my incredible strength and general super physique (not), but I've never experienced any aches or pains whilst playing for long periods. I am only 27, so that may be one reason...

This got me to thinking, maybe I just have a couple of light Les Pauls.

My custom weighs in at 9.4lbs and Robot comes in at 8.4lbs.

So - what are the heaviest/lightest Les Pauls you've encountered?

I've often heard players compaining of a sore back due to the strain of playing a Les Paul' date=' and once heard someone even describe it as 'like strapping a table top to you'.

It may be my incredible strength and general super physique (not), but I've never experienced any aches or pains whilst playing for long periods.[/quote']

I've also never experienced this...and I'm definately not a big, muscled guy.

I like Les Pauls being heavy and solid. I never weighed my own 80's Les Paul Standard, but it definately feels very solid and it's quite heavy in my hands. I don't think it is as heavy as some of the older Norlin Les Pauls...they seem to be very heavy guitars? Never played a Norlin Les Paul though...I'm also quite interested in the exact weight of my own Les Paul Standard, since it's not too far away from the chambered Faded that I have.

It does vary quite a bit. I know that most of the old 70s customs were well over 12 lbs. I have a good friend who owns an original 76 custom and it weighs in at 15.2 lbs! The maple in it is just denser than most other guitars. At the same time, you can get an all-mahogany VM that weighs only 6 or 7 pounds... my 2007 LP standard is chambered and comes in around 9 pounds, and I haven't noticed any problems with it. If I play for over 3 hours at one time, my shoulder starts to get sore, but that's about it. I imagine the soreness level would rise quicker if you're middle-aged and have a heavier guitar, though. My opinion is that I don't care how much my guitars weigh. I'm willing to sacrifice my physical health for tone.

I never weighed my Custom, but it is definitely well over 10 pounds. It wasn't an issue when I bought it (1992) but, now that I'm 42 years old, it's a back breaker. It's a great guitar, but I just play it at home these days as it's too much to have strapped on for three hours. One of these days, I'll have to get it on a scale.

I've only ever weighed my R0 and it's 8' 12" (4003g).

No-one ever thought about this aspect when I was a youngster!

He! He!! He!!! (goes off, stage right, laughing in a senile manner.....)

Not aimed at you specifically, Are Nine (I have no idea how old you are anyway), but I have to wonder if some of the guys who talk about liking really heavy guitars or say that have no problem with them actually regularly play them with a strap for over an hour at a time. It's one thing to play for a while at home where you might be taking a break for a while now and then or standing then sitting or whatever, but wearing those heavy guitars for hours straight is murder. I mean, my LP is fine to play sitting down or for a while with a strap but there's no way I'll bother bringing it to band rehearsal... at least, not until I get a good six months worth of sit-ups in me to strengthen my lower back. If I buy another LP, it will definitely be of the Swiss cheese variety.

I'm 30.

I would love a heavy guitar (13 lbs or so) but I doubt I could play with it standing up for very long.

I play standing up for the most part and a 10 lb guitar doesn't bother me any....yet. It's actually quite comfortable.

If you buy another LP buy one without any weight relief...they're lighter. It's also why the cost so much.

My R9 is 8.2 lbs. A true solid body weighing 8.2 lbs. Find me a Traditional that weights close to 8 lbs.

I'm 30.

I would love a heavy guitar (13 lbs or so) but I doubt I could play with it standing up for very long.

I play standing up for the most part and a 10 lb guitar doesn't bother me any....yet. It's actually quite comfortable.

If you buy another LP buy one without any weight relief...they're lighter. It's also why the cost so much.

My R9 is 8.2 lbs. A true solid body weighing 8.2 lbs. Find me a Traditional that weights close to 8 lbs.

Well, my '91 Custom Shop Custom is the one that gives me the aches and it's very solid. However it's lighter, I'm going for a lighter one next time.

It's not the shoulder' date=' it's the lower back. Have you ever played a 10+ pound guitar for three hours straight? [/quote']

Well I have in my youth. Don't know how much my Sonex weighs but it definitely weighs more than the Pauls. Back issues may not catch up to everyone, but they did to me eventually. I went from working out with a lot of weights (my last set of benching was usually 225 pounds for a number of reps, which is pretty good for a guy my size), plus biking 30+ miles every other day, to having lower back problems which took me out for nearly two years. I'm finally back to doing weights and biking, but I still have problems with torquing issues, which happens when I strap a guitar on. I'm getting better (yoga really helps), but I doubt I'll ever be back to my youth status...

mine is about 9lbs and it's perfect in weight and comfort but then again i'm in my prime haha i would like to test out the heavier set lesters one day though. granted, i moved from a strat to a les paul and that change was VERY noticeable. at first i complained how heavy the lp was but i definitely molded to it i guess you can say. wouldn't want it any other way (unless i bought another strat)

Archived