Gibson Brands Forums

Tuner Bushings?

GibbyJoe

Hi I am replacing the tuners on my sj200 modern classic with waverlys and want to know what is involved here and if it is easy to do myself. I have the rotomatics on my sj200 grovers so what size bushing adapters would i need to get?? I am buying from stew mac any help would be great thanks

You might could, when viewing the subject Waverly's click the 'Specs' tab. That'll give you the requesite dimensions of the new tuners. Measure the inside diameter of the spindle that the strings wrap around... at the base, right next to the bushing to see what you have currently, then compare the the StewMac specs. You may not have to replace the bushings.

If necessary, to remove the old bushings, determine the size of the hole in the headstock.. measure from the back with the tuner off. Push a bolt or smooth rod up from the bottom that just fits the hole. It will contact the bottom of the bushing and you should be able to push it right out. Go easy, you don't want to tear up the finish on the top as the old bushing comes out.

I compared the specs of new Grover Rotomatics and Waverlys on Stew-Mac's site. If your original Rotomatics are the same size, you'll likely need to order some conversion bushings to install the smaller diameter Waverly's. While looking at the product page for the Waverly's, click on 'Related Items'. There's a link to conversion bushings. They come in a couple different sizes, so youll have to remove and measure your current tuners. Probably to put a caliper on the shoulder of the tuner that slides up into the headstock hold from below, and/ or the bushing after you pull... I mean REMOVE it out of the top.

I noticed something on the Grover product specs. It appears the bushing may thread out of the hole, as opposed to being pushed out. Put an appropriate sized socket wrench on it and try twisting it out first. You may need to reuse the washer under the Grover bushing to cover the old scar. It'll be close, but you should be able to re-use them otherwise, purchase a closer fitting washer.

The Waverly bushings are a press fit... i.e. pushed in. You may need a Small C-clamp to press them home if they are snug. Besure to wrap the hard metal parts of the C-clamp with friction or electrical tape to avoid scarring up the headstock.

I have the rotomatics on my sj200 grovers so what size bushing adapters would i need to get??

Even easier than TommyK's excellent recommendations is to call and ask 'em. If the person who answers the phone doesn't know, s/he can hook you up with someone there who does. (Disclaimer: I've never actually tried asking them anything on the phone. But I've found folks there to be very helpful and knowledgeable when dealing with them in person.)

-- Bob R

wow thanks guys that sounds like a job. I dont have c-clamps or calipers or patience for all of that. If its not simple and there is a chanhce I could mess something up on a guitar like this I will be better off paying a experienced guitar repair person to do it. I thought it would be plug and play lolol. thanks for the advice

Archived