Gibson Brands Forums

Political debates on this forum

Bluemoon

What do you guys think.

I am OK with the political debates that naturally evolve from a post. I am getting tired, though, of all the topics that are started just to get people fired up. I see no point. If you are that into discussing politics, then take it to another forum.

As I said, I am OK with political discussion that naturally evolve from a post about a non--political subject. But I am growing tired of the posts that are just meant to get the usual suspects fired up.

This is my opinion. I am not trying to censor people here. Just want to see what others think.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you, KSG, and NEO should have your own area where you can fight with each other all day long.

I have a ton to say about politics---i worked for Pres. Clinton and I worked on the Hill. When I want to discuss politics I go to a different forum.

If you guys have all these amazing solutions to our problems, then get off you asses and do something about it. Go work for you local state rep, get a job in DC., run for political office. It is so easy to sit here and critique President Bush or President Obama and second-guess their decisions. It sounds like you guys all have economic degrees by the way you talk in this forum...if that is correct, then go put them to use and solve this country's problems instead of trying to upstage each other.

I voted 4 too but in light on the current pissing match going on between Homz and neo in the health care thread' date=' I wan't to change my vote to 1, please make it stop.

[/quote']

BTW if you read the posts over at that thread you will see I haven't even stated my opinion.

I don't mind debates about diffrent subjects.

I know these politcal threads are getting somewhat out of hand.

So, this my .02

Debates are supposed to be fact vs. fact not personal attack vs. personall attack.

In a reall life debate if you make a personal attack, you lose.

My only example is dynadude, he personally attacked my faith. Thats not a point you can argue.

Right, I am not sure what is going on in this forum is a debate. It's a pissing contest.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of good people are giving up on this forum because it has gotten so out of hand. The response by some people on this forum is "just ignore those threads." That is hard to do because there are so many. The other problem is that when you do share you opinion--as Basshole alluded to--i t turns personal or turns into a liberal v. conservative bashing contest.

Right' date=' I am not sure what is going on in this forum is a debate. It's a pissing contest.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of good people are giving up on this forum because it has gotten so out of hand. The response by some people on this forum is "just ignore those threads." That is hard to do because there are so many. The other problem is that when you do share you opinion--as Basshole alluded to--i t turns personal or turns into a liberal v. conservative bashing contest.

[/quote']

I think most go to the other gibson forum sites. There are quite a few people who keep coming back for the good political and or real life threads. I'm one of them.

So it might not be the same people, but there are more now then there was a few months ago.

BTW i do agree that when they degrade into a pissing match they serve no purpose except comic relief. At least I get a kick out of them.

I will try to be good though. That's not to say I wont post hot button items, but I will try to be nice. =D>

Homz its fine to debate about subjects' date=' but you must be careful about how you type things out. think of how it might be viewed by the other peole on this fourm. remember the pen in greater than the sword.[/quote']

Well I probably meant them as they were posted. That is unless they were obviously silly then it was meant to be funny. But, I'll be schooled by the young-an on this one. You are correct. I should be nicer.

I am really surprised that Gibson allows these discussions on their Forum. I can't think of another guitar site that is so "liberal," if you'll allow the term. I think it is to their credit, but I also think moderation and civility is in order so as not to lose the privledge. It is hard not to get worked up over politics, as there are few things more important, and discussion really is vital to democracy and good citizenship. Still, there is maybe too much heat, not enough light.

I am really surprised that Gibson allows these discussions on their Forum. I can't think of another guitar site that is so "liberal' date='" if you'll allow the term. I think it is to their credit, but I also think moderation and civility is in order so as not to lose the privledge. It is hard not to get worked up over politics, as there are few things more important, and discussion really is vital to democracy and good citizenship. Still, there is maybe too much heat, not enough light.[/quote']

Please don't start the What Gibson Should Do stuff again. I do value your thoughts and opinions, but the only thing that comes from that talk is more censorship. If ten people start down that line all we're going to do is lose the privileged.

It's a free world (sorta) so post and click where you want.

Don't like the subject? Go somewhere else.

There are lotsa threads and areas of this and other forums I never even go to because I have no interest in the content.

Please don't start the What Gibson Should Do stuff again. I do value your thoughts and opinions' date=' but the only thing that comes from that talk is more censorship. If ten people start down that line all we're going to do is lose the privileged. [/quote']

My guess is that we won't lose the privilege because ten people think civility is in order, but rather that a few firebreathers get carried away (think Buddy Light). Also don't see where mention is made of "What Gibson Should Do," but rather what we should do.

Archived