Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite style of Blues

James Allen

I've got one. I'm am, as many of us are (at least the older ones of us), a huge fan of the blues. So, just to get a feel for which "denomination" of the Blues is the most liked, I'm posting this poll to find out.

I may have missed some obscure denomination, but I've gotten all the major ones, I believe.

I vote Texas style. However, Chicago is a close second for me.

My favorite blues pattern was given to me in 1956 in pencil in Chicago on a piece of not pad paper http://paulevents.blogspot.com/ I'ved used it for slightly jazzy blues (straight 12 bar is 4 bars of the same chord) .. it is fine with Night Train, Route 66, Shake Rattle and Roll, Rock Around the Clock, Mean Woman Blues (sometime I think she's almost mean as me), Move it on Over, Blues in the Night, Cleanhead Blues, Red Rooster, Ball and Chain, Eisenhower Blues, Coffee Grinder Blues, Long Tall Sally, Good Golly Miss Molly, Jenny Jenny Jenny, Sweet Home Chicago, Whole Lotta Shakin, Heartbreak Hotel, St Louis Blues, Basie Blues, Kansas City Blues ... many others. Tye Bunny Hop is also 12 bar. Two weeks ago we played blues from 7 in evening to 3 AM without stopping. Some of it I never heard before. You can switch off the blues with doo-wop if you want a change of pace C-Am-Dm7-G7 .. about 100 doo-wop songs use that. Then ther is the old country-western 1-4-5 .. you can probably play for a couple days and not run out of songs. We do that every spring in Fallbrook -- 300 guitars mandolin and fiddles from all over California -- sleeping bag and guitar .. just playing 18 hours straight. Also sinmgers, accordion or two, flutes, ukes, .. mostly guitar and mandolin and fiddle.

Archived