Gibson Brands Forums

Who's svaing their pennies, nickels and dimes for a real '59?

LPDEN

:- Just kidding... But Imagine actually coming across one at a garage sale? I guess it could happen, but quite unlikely.

Anyhow what made me think of this was a recent book I came across at JK Lutherie called Million Dollar Les Paul. In reading some reviews of it, it suppose take a wide look at the vintage market. I thought it may be interesting reading, so I ordered a copy today. I'll post a follow up about what I thought of it when I receive it and finish reading it...

I briefly owned an original '55 goldtop that turned out to be stolen. I wasn't implicated because as soon as I found out it was stolen I turned it over to the police. The rightful owners actually had me sell it for them later, and I not only recouped my loss but earned a fat commission for the sale. So onesty works...

But....

I had the original '55 (which I sold for $25K and maybe could have gotten a lot more) right beside my Norlin '71 sandwich body gold top. The '71 was a better guitar, no question, hands down. I had made that determination when I thought I had bought it legitimately and the decision was made to dump it because it was inferior. So a person can spend may many thousands of dollars for an old guitar that isn't as good as or may even be much less of a guitar than a current production model or a run of the mill dog-pound used one.

I dig old guitars and woud spend a lot if I had a lot, but this was a huge wake up call for me. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's worth anything.

:- Just kidding... But Imagine actually coming across one at a garage sale? I guess it could happen' date=' but quite unlikely.

Anyhow what made me think of this was a recent book I came across at JK Lutherie called Million Dollar Les Paul. In reading some reviews of it, it suppose take a wide look at the vintage market. I thought it may be interesting reading, so I ordered a copy today. I'll post a follow up about what I thought of it when I receive it and finish reading it...[/quote']

Hey dude there are guys out there who dont know a vinatge guitar is alot of money. Belive me ive seen it.

when the 58 special turned up in my wife's aunt's basement after her husband died . I said it might be worth 5-7k every one thought i was crasy , well it seems its worth a bit more . not everyone knowswhat everthing is worth. The LP would have gone into a garage sale, priced by my father in law who thought 5k for that old thing was rediculous

I briefly owned an original '55 goldtop that turned out to be stolen. I wasn't implicated because as soon as I found out it was stolen I turned it over to the police. The rightful owners actually had me sell it for them later' date=' and I not only recouped my loss but earned a fat commission for the sale. So onesty works...

But....

I had the original '55 (which I sold for $25K and maybe could have gotten a lot more) right beside my Norlin '71 sandwich body gold top. The '71 was a better guitar, no question, hands down. I had made that determination when I thought I had bought it legitimately and the decision was made to dump it because it was inferior. So a person can spend may many thousands of dollars for an old guitar that isn't as good as or may even be much less of a guitar than a current production model or a run of the mill dog-pound used one.

I dig old guitars and woud spend a lot if I had a lot, but this was a huge wake up call for me. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's worth anything.[/quote']

I agree about the dollar:performance ratio completely. I also wish I had acquired some of the vintage instruments back in the late 70's/early 80's before the real vintage boom took hold. I would honestly would love to have a 50's anything Gibson, but not at the contemporary prices they demand. I much happier settling for a nice current-day production custom shop for far less. But it's nice to dream...

when the 58 special turned up in my wife's aunt's basement after her husband died . I said it might be worth 5-7k every one thought i was crasy ' date=' well it seems its worth a bit more . not everyone knowswhat everthing is worth. The LP would have gone into a garage sale, priced by my father in law who thought 5k for that old thing was rediculous[/quote']

I suppose that's how those rare stories take place. You were lucky to end up with that one for sure!

Hey dude there are guys out there who dont know a vinatge guitar is alot of money. Belive me ive seen it.

Yes, I've seen it go both ways where someone thought they also had more value on their hands then they actually did. I suppose that the Antiques Roadshow effect.

Archived