Gibson Brands Forums

Homz

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stem cell research is a very important part of medical research.

It can open endless possibilities for cures not yet found.

Would be great if they find a cure for cerebral palsy. My little boy has it.

Perhaps then he could play my guitars some day.

Stem cell research is a very important part of medical research.

It can open endless possibilities for cures not yet found.

Would be great if they find a cure for cerebral palsy. My little boy has it.

Perhaps then he could play my guitars some day.

Good comment dc3. I share your hopes for medical advances via stem cell research.

This is TERRIFIC news if you are in favor of improving the lot of people afflicted with any number of serious ailments. On a larger scale, I hope it ushers in an appreciation of science over superstition, replacing the dogma of faith with real advances in scientific research and knowledge.

A growth in wisdom would be a bonus.

Well, so far, most if not all advancement in stem cell research has come from non-embryonic stem cells. To my knowledge, there have been NO breakthroughs in embryonic stem cell research. Research on embryonic stem cells has been taking place at the same time as non-embryonic stem cell research, just not with tax payer money.

Why would you force at least half of the country to fund something that is morally repugnant to them? Why would we want to put taxpayer dollars into research that if it does pan out, would make the inventor of any cure that comes from the research rich?

I have an incurable, chronic disease that might be cured by stem cell research, and I would never trade another life to improve my own.

It is great news. It is about time. Even Nancy Reagan supports it.

Not trying to be critical of a Reagan, but she also supports astrologers.

Somehow I doubt she would have supported stem cell research if she hadn't had a heath issue in her family, but hey whatever. I hope all support it. It's a worthy endeavor IMO.

Well' date=' so far, most if not all advancement in stem cell research has come from non-embryonic stem cells. To my knowledge, there have been NO breakthroughs in embryonic stem cell research. Research on embryonic stem cells has been taking place at the same time as non-embryonic stem cell research, just not with tax payer money.

Why would you force at least half of the country to fund something that is morally repugnant to them? Why would we want to put taxpayer dollars into research that if it does pan out, would make the inventor of any cure that comes from the research rich?

I have an incurable, chronic disease that might be cured by stem cell research, and I would never trade another life to improve my own.[/quote']

The money is already being spent. It was with Bush. It is simply going to open to the scientists more lines of stem cells.

Well' date=' so far, most if not all advancement in stem cell research has come from non-embryonic stem cells. To my knowledge, there have been NO breakthroughs in embryonic stem cell research. Research on embryonic stem cells has been taking place at the same time as non-embryonic stem cell research, just not with tax payer money.

I have an incurable, chronic disease that might be cured by stem cell research, and I would never trade another life to improve my own.[/quote']

What exactly do you find morally repugnant?

Would it not also be morally repugnant to let a child ride a wheel chair for the rest of his life after a car crash has severed his spinal cord.

KSG,

Seriously, what do you do for a living. You seem to be an expert on a lot of sophisticated topics, from the economy to stem cells. I just can't believe that Obama hasn't approached you to help solve this country's problems. I mean, you have an answer for everything. It really amazes me.

so what is your line of work?

KSG' date='

Seriously, what do you do for a living. You seem to be an expert on a lot of sophisticated topics, from the economy to stem cells. I just can't believe that Obama hasn't approached you to help solve this country's problems. I mean, you have an answer for everything. It really amazes me.

so what is your line of work?

[/quote']

I'm just an educated man armed with some knowledge, some curiosity, some computer skills, a photographic memory and GOOGLE.

KSG...here you go...

"Stem cells have been found in several tissues of adults. While adult stem cells have been used in scientific inquiry, what makes embryonic stem cells such a promising area for medical research is that these cells are more plastic, i.e. it is easier to encourage them to become other cell types. In addition, there is concern that adult stem cells may not reproduce as accurately as embryonic stem cells, as the adult stem cells may lose genetic information after multiple cell divisions."

I'm just an educated man armed with some knowledge' date=' some curiosity, some computer skills, a photographic memory and GOOGLE.[/quote']

Didn't answer my question. What is your line of work. Perhaps you didn't understand my question, "WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING?"

And for the record, my two year old is armed with some knowledge, a lot of curiosity, some computer skills, and what appears to be a photographic memory. And if she could type "Google," she would be on her way.

And don't forget his friends "copy" and "paste"... :D

And Homz is right... modern medicine... well, most of it has resulted from the worst atrocities in the world (most of them done by christians BTW, just to increase the heat a little... ).

You want to get the gory details I've got a freaking genius next to me over here. She can answer just about any stem cell question you might have. I mean this as a resource. She wouldn't put up with being called names though.

And don't forget his friends "copy" and "paste"... :D

And Homz is right... modern medicine... well' date=' most of it has resulted from the worst atrocities in the world (most of them done by christians BTW, just to increase the heat a little... ).[/quote']

That's a pretty long stick you're using for stirring the pot.

KSG...here you go...

"Stem cells have been found in several tissues of adults. While adult stem cells have been used in scientific inquiry' date=' what makes embryonic stem cells such a promising area for medical research is that these cells are more plastic, i.e. it is easier to encourage them to become other cell types. In addition, there is concern that adult stem cells may not reproduce as accurately as embryonic stem cells, as the adult stem cells may lose genetic information after multiple cell divisions."

[/quote']

That's right... the only adult cells that would work are in the spinal marrow/spinal cord which is a little difficult to get , if you know what I mean... (don't know if the translation makes any sense, it's been a while since I wrote/talked about medical stuff).

Anyway... I think that's a good thing... as stated above, the money is already being spent, better to spend it propperly and legally (which should mean: more safely and having someone acountable for whatever happens if they fuKc up).

Archived