Gibson Brands Forums

Neck Heavy?

Mercurine

Apparently, most SGs are notorious for being neck heavy. Well, what do you guys here think? I'm of smaller build, so the lighter the better, and I was curious about the AY SG in particular. I'm thinking that's the one I might go for later once I'm able to purchase one, and thanks to those who filled me in on it!

The SG is light enough, it's not really an issue.

A rough-textured wide leather strap is enough to do the trick.

A heavy guitar like the EDS-175 double neck is a different story.

It's heavy as hell, cumbersome, and the leather strap simply takes your shirt with it as it slides over your shoulder.

Makes my SG a joy to play....

True' date=' since the added mass would be on the right end.

But I've never found much different in the weights of SG's, nothing like a LP or Strat.

Have you?[/quote']

I have 1 '61 reissue that weighs in exactly at 7 lbs and another at 7lbs 14 ounces. The heavier one is all body weight and almost balances perfectly when wearing a strap.

I would strongly advise anybody to put the guitar on a strap before you decide to buy any Gibson sg. In my opinion it does make a difference. Get a neck heavy guitar and a tiny portion of your fretting hand is occupied in lifting the neck. I found a cunning solution involving lead shot but frankly it was ridiculous!

Edit:(Hmmm.... the censorship of the last word is a bit odd?)

Archived