Gibson Brands Forums

What would be your favourite guitar if there wasn´t an SG?

Kurt

Imagine that Gibson would not have invented the SG. What other would be your favourite guitar then? Or which one is you runner up?

Mine would be the Les Paul Custom (especially the one I own) or an Explorer. I never owned an Explorer, but often played one that belonged to a friend of mine. And I´m still looking for a cool one. Maybe E2, maybe one of the special designer series made in the 80s or 90s, or an old one from the 80s and before when they were all made of korina. Or, more realistic, a good new one like the one that was guitar of the month back in 2007 or 06 with natural finish and short vibrola. Who knows?

Greetings

Kurt

i've never really cared much for the sg. just isn't heavy enough for me. it's just gibson's attempt to compete with the strat. nowadays i don't think it's necessary. but i guess back then the front office was really concerned about the lack of les paul sales....

Actually, my favorite guitar is a Telecaster,most specifically my '89 Custom Shop '56 re-issue. There is NO MORE expressive guitar than a Tele. But I have an SG '61 re-issue 'cause it's great for blues, and I LOVE the way it looks. Would be nice if they could get the horn tapering & bevels correct,though!

i've never really cared much for the sg. just isn't heavy enough for me. it's just gibson's attempt to compete with the strat. nowadays i don't think it's necessary. but i guess back then the front office was really concerned about the lack of les paul sales....

Not necessary?

What does that mean?

Not needed?

Gibson sells guitars. It's a business. People buy SG's.

Hell man, that Jonas kid (the one with the SG) has more brains than you.......

Either a Rickenbacker 330 or a Gibson hollowbody with P-90's and a bigsby.

I'm with you there on the Ric! The scary thought is that I probably would have had one over my first Les Paul (I traded it for the Sg) if there hadn't been a 13 month waiting list to get one from the states!

Hell man' date=' that Jonas kid (the one with the SG) has more brains than you.......[/quote']

harsh murph...i think id rather get shot in the nuts than have some1 say that one of those lil fags have more brains than me......u make a very very very good point tho. sg's assrape strats

Hell man' date=' that Jonas kid (the one with the SG) has more brains than you.......[/quote']

Ouch! Actually I think Gibson sponsors those kids. There was a huge Gibson logo behind them at the Super Bowl. Who really knows what they play in the privacy of their parent's home.

610x.jpg

Personally I always had a thing for flying Vs - until I saw Angus playing an SG' date=' then it was game over.[/quote']

Yeah, it´s Angus´s fault. The same goes for me too. That was back in the early 80s. Back then he mainly used the guitar his signature axe was made after.

Greetings

Kurt

And by the way - thanks for all the answers so far...

Archived