Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul junior model./edit: Special model

Luap

Never played one but, if it sounds anything like my SG Junior, it'll have bright, midrange-centered tone with lots of plucky attack. Personally, I think both of those guitars you linked to are ridiculously overpriced; if they were regular old Juniors, I'd be willing to pay $800 for one but, as CS and VOS, maybe $1,500 but even that's too much IMO for a slab body guitar with one pickup that basically does one sound with some variations of that one sound if you include the tone/mud knob.

My SG Junior that I got for $250 at a clearance sale back in the early 90's:

sgj1.jpg

A very cool guitar but a one trick pony.

I just purchased the regular ol' satin cherry Gibby Junior for $800 in January, and modded the hell out of it. And after dumping $700 into it, she plays and sounds beautiful.

However, I did get a chance to play one of those VOS Juniors at a GC, and they are pretty. But there's a bit of extra wood where the cutaway and neck join together, and it makes upper fret access uncomfortable (for me). The $800 Gibby Jr. version doesn't have that extra wood by the cutaway and neck. Very easy to play in the upper register.

I think the VOS models are just given a special "aged" looking nitro finish, and are build closely to original specs from back in the day. The regular model should have the new looking glossier finish and there shouldn't be much difference in construction.

I see that the not-VOS model is more expensive..why is that? Is it a better guitar, better pickups?

EDIT: I also see, when I compare the two models, that the normal 60's model has got p-90's, and the VOS model SINGLE COIL P90's. Is there a difference?

I see that the not-VOS model is more expensive..why is that? Is it a better guitar' date=' better pickups?

EDIT: I also see, when I compare the two models, that the normal 60's model has got p-90's, and the VOS model SINGLE COIL P90's. Is there a difference?[/quote']

B:-" U:-" M:-" P:-"

Archived