Gibson Brands Forums

looking for best combo amp for sg61 reissue

wrench87

i was looking for opinions on what would be the best combo amp for home use for under 1,000.00.

i like the fender hot rod deluxe, 65 deluxe reverb,super champ combo?. just looking for opinions pros and cons and what the best bang for the buck would be, something that is versatile like the sg to play a little of everything.

the fenders caught my eye, but i am open to other makes.

You won't get a "definitive" answer -- just opinion. None of us has played EVERY amp available, but generally we defend to the death the ones we regularly play through.

For me, I like Fender amps, and currently I own two: a Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight that I plug my Les Paul into, and Hot Rod Blues Junior NOS that the SG and 335 go through. One of the best (in my opinion) is the Super Reverb -- but I don't own one because it's too large and heavy. Others love other brands, and I'm sure they will chime in soon enough.

How big an amp do you want? What kind of a sound to you want? Do you want to play large venues, really loud, or noodle in the living room? Fender makes a variety of maps, some full of bells and whistles, some without, some in-between. I'd go to a well-stocked dealer and try as many as possible.

Super champ XD. All tube , 16 voices, built in effects, 15 watts and weighs 24 pounds. It also has a line out so i'm thinking you could plug it into a cab( going to try that myself tonight ). I've been really happy with mine. Last time I checked it was 325.00 bucks. Try it out at the shop. You have to pay for a foot switch but I guess they didn't include it to keep costs down.

To illustrate the point on vastly different opinions, I'll go with the Fender Hot Rod DeVille 4x10.

I have a 2x12 and wish I had spent the other $30 for two more speakers.

At low volumes it sounds rich and lush, sort of a chorus effect.

Playing out of my Blues Junior 1x12 now seems less satisfying.

Crank any of them up and it's a new ball game though.

DeVilles are 60 watts, MORE than enough, and I'll qualify that by saying I also have an old school Marshall

(See avatar pic.)

Three channels with the famous Fender cleans, Drive, and More Drive which I never use.

Has master volume and reverb as the only real "effects" so it's brain dead simple.

Priced around $700.

Blues Junior is basically the same amp, but only 15 watts. Lotsa bang for the buck under $400.

Has the same reverb and controls as it's bigger brothers, but only the "Fat" switch.

I'm a firm believer in keeping the amp simple and honest.

If you want modeling, effects, gadjets, gizmos and doodads, then buy pedals to go in front of it.

I have lotsa gear and not a single effects pedal.

An SG owner has to seriously consider vintage Marshall-esqe amps. In a lower power amp the 1974x 18 watter' date=' or a clone, like Trinity, GDS or one of the numerous quality kits is worth looking into. [/quote']

Pricey, but VERY cool!

I have to laugh when I thought I could bring my 15 watt amp to play up against drums bass and a another guitar. " but I can mike it " I said. " you'll blow the PA moron " . Any way, the guy at the space charged me 5 bucks to use a 100 watt Marshall head to plug into one of the cabs in the the room. Man that was fun, but I needed to wear ear plugs ( for some of the time anyway ) I had so much fun.It was the first time I had played in a band set up before. Its cool to play LOUD.

i almost bought a used fender hot rod deluxe it looked brand new for 500.00 but i have read that the drive and more drive options are worthless?, i am not sure if this would be to loud for home?. i like the blues jr because it is only 15 watts with a 12 inch speaker. the more amps i look at the more i dont know wich one to get. i was looking into just building one of the kits but that gets pricey real fast.

how far back do you have to go to get a good marshall combo amp?, i really dont care for the m series ?

Archived