Gibson Brands Forums

SG Standard 1976

willyhellson

but I have my doubts it's a real one...

Why did you buy it then???:-k

It is a real one! But I still don´t understand...

Well, I thought it was a real one too... But I showed it to a friend and actually he had his doubts...

There was no original case with it. The serial number was not engraved, just printed... And around the serial number if you look real close ( you can't see it in the photos ), you can see some sort of circle around it, like there used to be a sticker underneath the finish... Strange... I didn't see it when I bought it...

Someone else knows for sure this is a real one?

It does sound alright to me :-k

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE!

im pretty sure its real the only thing that looks weird to me is that the one grover tuner is different on the back from the other ones but yea we need Hbomb to make sure...y isnt he an administrator? he is way more knowledgeable than the admins that they have on this forum

It's real. Your guitar was built during the Norlin era, and many of the models from then differ aesthetically from the "normal" models. I think that's one of the "The SG" models, which had that truss rod cover and the inlay at the first fret. Also, some Norlin era models had the guitars model name printed on the back of the headstock like yours does.

It's definitely genuine. Walnut construction, 3 piece body, 3 piece neck (strong), 5 piece headstock and Schaller bridge. It's not one of the "The SG" series because they weren't around until '79. (They cut corners with "The SG" by fitting dot markers and a matt finish). This model also had "The SG" on the trussrod cover and no crown inlay.

Looks like a fine funky fresh '75, my brutha. LUV it! As a proud owner of a '78, I see these Norlin era guitars as real gems. Not as "sought after" by collectors, etc. which I think makes them even more special. The Red headed stepchildren of the Gibson family tree, if you will.

Archived